Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cant afford stainless works manifolds.. ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant afford stainless works manifolds.. ideas?

i cant afford the stainless works up and forward turbo manifolds, anyone have any ideas? do any sponsors sell stuff like this? does ebay sell stuff like this? pm me details if so... i am doing a turbo kit for a friend on his 1991 camaro ls1 swap and its gonna be BASIC BASIC BASIC and thats just too much to spend on manifolds....

also if anyone knows a place to get u bends cheap lemme know..
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do 6.0 truck manifolds. I have some if you need any. Thats the most inexpensive/ popular way to incorporate a turbo system.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Just do 6.0 truck manifolds. I have some if you need any. Thats the most inexpensive/ popular way to incorporate a turbo system.
got pics of what that looks like?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

nevermind, did a search on them, they look cool but i kinda wanted up and forward, i guess these would work... lemme do some looking at the setup and see if i can think of something in my head that would work as this car has a stock k member, and those kmembers are HUGE
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Up and forward turbo headers are $$$$. I went with the KYTP/stainless works headers. The 6.0 manifolds work great though. Dont look as cool but not that big of a deal.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

could always get factory replacement shorty headers and cut the flange off to weld on a Vband. JBA makes a set in SS ive had my eye on but i picked up some Headmans for cheap so ima use them
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
could always get factory replacement shorty headers and cut the flange off to weld on a Vband. JBA makes a set in SS ive had my eye on but i picked up some Headmans for cheap so ima use them
still not up and forward tho
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
still not up and forward tho
yeah, dont use em on opposite sides (keepin em pointed down) just face em forward on the correct side and it will point em up. Can always cut em and change em to suit your fancy too
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

C6 manifolds flipped upside down?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
yeah, dont use em on opposite sides (keepin em pointed down) just face em forward on the correct side and it will point em up. Can always cut em and change em to suit your fancy too
wouldnt the center bolts that are offset not line up then
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

truck manifolds will not work. Ask me how i know.theres a couple ways you can do it. C6 manis or even some fab work with 98 FBODY manifols (the tubular ones) I have some 2.5 inch U Bends (3 or 4) and some other stuff from a very reputable place if he wants to buy em. Any questions PM me and check out my build.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by grifter757
truck manifolds will not work. Ask me how i know.theres a couple ways you can do it. C6 manis or even some fab work with 98 FBODY manifols (the tubular ones) I have some 2.5 inch U Bends (3 or 4) and some other stuff from a very reputable place if he wants to buy em. Any questions PM me and check out my build.
What do you mean "truck manifolds will not work"??
Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

build your own.. if you cant afford what you want then get whats cheap.. many people use truck manifolds. i would have used truck manifolds on the nova but they didnt fit at all so i had to make my own headers.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
wouldnt the center bolts that are offset not line up then
I dont know, ive thought about that but have yet to get started with my build. If they dont Im just going to re-drill the hole in the header flange, all the other bolts will locate the header so those will just need a large headed bolt to clamp it to the cylinder head.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you cant afford it, dont turbocharge it, this is pathetic. you got to pay to play.
what every you figure it is going to cost you double it.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
if you cant afford it, dont turbocharge it, this is pathetic. you got to pay to play.
Thank god someone finally said it. If you want a nice pretty setup don't keep complaining about the cost. We have given you a few cheaper viable options, take em or leave em. You will still end up spending more than you expect. Do some research on what has been said and see which would best suit your application. 3rd gens have plenty of room though so you should be able to make something work.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

5.0 Moosetang shorties work well.
Search on www.turbobuick.com, for Mike Bamfords G-body ls swap. The headers were reportedly $600.00 including the headers from E-bag.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
What do you mean "truck manifolds will not work"??
The thirdgen steering knucle is in the way and will not have enough room to put the manifold in there. BTW I went from a remoter mount setup to a front mount setup and I've prob got $4 to $5000 in just that stuff. My buddy has done his for I would say around $3000 but its not pretty.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
You can keep your opinion to yourself if you cant help the thread man, I did the ls1 swap myself, wired it all up myself, custom fabbed the motor mounts, custom fabbed a true dual exhaust, rebuilt the tranny... I am looking for other options that arent as expensive.... theres nothing wrong with that. Im not complaining about the price, i feel its a fair price, its just not in the budget for this car.

Originally Posted by tpunk
Thank god someone finally said it. If you want a nice pretty setup don't keep complaining about the cost. We have given you a few cheaper viable options, take em or leave em. You will still end up spending more than you expect. Do some research on what has been said and see which would best suit your application. 3rd gens have plenty of room though so you should be able to make something work.

I know exactly what it will cost to turbo the car, i have a 8 second mustang just sitting in the shop right now. I know what stuff costs, and I know when I can do it a little cheaper, you should stay out of this thread too.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
5.0 Moosetang shorties work well.
Search on www.turbobuick.com, for Mike Bamfords G-body ls swap. The headers were reportedly $600.00 including the headers from E-bag.

Thanks bro, Ill look into that.

Originally Posted by grifter757
The thirdgen steering knucle is in the way and will not have enough room to put the manifold in there. BTW I went from a remoter mount setup to a front mount setup and I've prob got $4 to $5000 in just that stuff. My buddy has done his for I would say around $3000 but its not pretty.
Thanks for that info, I was just looking at this last night as it concerned me. Good info man

Quick Reply: cant afford stainless works manifolds.. ideas?