Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

jgs 60mm waste gate spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jgs 60mm waste gate spring

i have three springs with the wg from jgs. One is taller and narrower than the other 2 that came with it. I get 7psi with that one, i turn the controller on and get 14-15psi. Can i put pne of the shorter wider springs in the wg with the tall narrow one to increase the boost. ive searched and couldnt find any real answers other than get a ams1000 with c02. im looking for 12 psi on the springs and 20-24 with the boost controller.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
i have three springs with the wg from jgs. One is taller and narrower than the other 2 that came with it. I get 7psi with that one, i turn the controller on and get 14-15psi. Can i put pne of the shorter wider springs in the wg with the tall narrow one to increase the boost. ive searched and couldnt find any real answers other than get a ams1000 with c02. im looking for 12 psi on the springs and 20-24 with the boost controller.
We stuck a friends Tial in my 60mm JGS gate and I think it made 9 1/2 lbs on the spring. It seemed like the boost was creeping up though. When you find out let me know b/c I'm curious about other springs. Someone said on here theres a universal spring or something that will work in the JGS
Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

i was told today by jgs that i can reference the top port and bleed off the pressure to the bottom port.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i was told today by jgs that i can reference the top port and bleed off the pressure to the bottom port.
Really? The more boost you make the more it will push on that top port meaning the less you will bleed off. I would try adding a second spring instead. That's why one if smaller than the others. So you can run it inside the bigger one. Referencing the bottom port will help open the gate under boost. No reference at all will make another few psi.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Restricted User

i have a JGS 50mm with the low spring and i have a refernce going to both both ports. right now I make 13 psi.. i was thinking about running the Dial-A-Boost to the top port and running a reference from the manifold to the bottom port.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Restricted User

If you are referencing both ports without regulating either one then they are just cancelling each other out. Basically the same as running the gate open to both ports.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Restricted User

that makes sense. with the bottom port referenced it makes about 4 psi.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a line to the top port with a nitrous jet in it to regulate how much pressure it can put to the top port. This isn't on a jgs, but it should work. This allows me to go more than double the springs.(ie run 6lbs and 18lbs) I use a gm boost solenoid to switch to putting pressure on the top port vs just having it open. I also use a MBC on the bottom port to bring the bottom setting up some so I can get the top high enough to make over double. Also running another gm boost solenoid on the bottom side so I can run the spring pressure or the mbc setting. Kind of confusing, but I have 4 boost settings on the fly with 2 different buttons on my steering wheel which makes it nice on the street.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Really? The more boost you make the more it will push on that top port meaning the less you will bleed off. I would try adding a second spring instead. That's why one if smaller than the others. So you can run it inside the bigger one. Referencing the bottom port will help open the gate under boost. No reference at all will make another few psi.
yea thats what jgs said, they mentioned you can only do it with a piston style WG, a diafram WG would have trouble and break eventually.

20psi to the top port+7psi spring=27psi holding it shut
add 7psi to the bottom(manifold reference) and you get the WG opening at 20psi. (just and example)

..I know that when you add boost pressure to the bottom, you lower boost pressure to the top.. so it will be a % instead of a number like 7psi. Im going to try it tonight.

my springs were the same diameter so i couldnt add them. They also mentioned shims to increase the pressure.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

I purchased the large spring from them for my 50mm wg and now mine opens up at 10psi but i dont think it made a difference but i had my turbosmart boost T manual boostcontroller in series with the reference line although i had it set to send full pressure and not bleed any off

If u look on their site they list the thickness of the wire to determine if its the small, medium, or large spring
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

i ran this setup so far and can boost up to 22-23psi. shut off the controller and get about 7psi. So i guess its working good enough. i would like to put a shim in it though.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Restricted User

i ran this setup so far and can boost up to 22-23psi. shut off the controller and get about 7psi. So i guess its working good enough. i would like to put a shim in it though.
I guess that I misunderstood your post about bleeding off the bottom port. I thought that you were going to leave the bottom reference port vented. As in not regulating it with a controller of some sort.

In your first post you said that you had 2 different diameter springs. Mine came with 2 diff diameter springs. 3 total. The piston design makes changing springs much easier than on a diaphragm style where you have to be careful not to pinch or tear it.

I run an AMS with CO2 so I run the lightest spring possible to give me the broadest boost control possible.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I guess that I misunderstood your post about bleeding off the bottom port. I thought that you were going to leave the bottom reference port vented. As in not regulating it with a controller of some sort.

In your first post you said that you had 2 different diameter springs. Mine came with 2 diff diameter springs. 3 total. The piston design makes changing springs much easier than on a diaphragm style where you have to be careful not to pinch or tear it.

I run an AMS with CO2 so I run the lightest spring possible to give me the broadest boost control possible.
yeah i wish i had the ams with co2. i checked and the springs are the same diameter. I think i need a bigger spring though or a shim because the boost controller is on 80% at 18psi.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Restricted User

Here's a cheap CO2 option for you. Buy a solenoid and one of the 10oz CO2 bottles with regulator and gages. Should be under $150 total. Regulate the CO2 down to where you want it and hook it to the noid. Then use your reference with the dial a boost to tweak it in where you want it. Just an idea. With the CO2, you wont need to wait for boost to make boost. Should help you get up on boost a little faster also if you need that sort of thing.

Quick Reply: jgs 60mm waste gate spring