Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are lunati pistons and rings any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are lunati pistons and rings any good?

I have obviously heard of them but would anyone recommend their lower compression forged pistons or does anyone have them?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Launching!

The Lunati's are good if you stay within there guide lines. Don't throw a lot of boost at them and you should be ok.
You might want to check into the Diamond Pistons. They make a boost piston for the 3.905 bore. I carry the Diamond Pistons so if you need any help selecting the right one just let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Launching!

how much is a set of 9:1 forged pistons with the rings? I really dont know a whole lot about pistons but I do know thats the compression i want to run.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

I have the lunati NHRA flat tops have held 13psi with some detonation have about 10000mi Hard miles with 10psi boost, they definatly get my vote.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vhgjk123
how much is a set of 9:1 forged pistons with the rings? I really dont know a whole lot about pistons but I do know thats the compression i want to run.
What size bore do you have? What size rods? What size stroke? Answer these questions and can get you a price on those pistons. Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

i have a set of lunati pistons that i had cusom dished for my application. they don't make their own rings, but, they are half decent. i personally went with total seal.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Everything internally is stock.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

To get you 9:1 with stock rods and stock stroke is going to need to be a custom piston. If you were to use a 6.125 rod with the stock stroke they are on the shelf and would be cheaper. For the customs you will be looking at around $650 for the set. Wrist pins will run you $64 and rings are going to be $199. How much boost do you intend on running?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Well for a long time I will stay with my current 7lbs. In the distant future I may want to up it to like 12lbs. Thank you for the estimate.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Teching In

We just finnished my car and made over 700hp at the block on 15# of boost useing all lunati internals. I would have to say they are damn good pistons.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:34 AM

Don't get me wrong here......Lunati's are good pistons but if you know the forging process and manufacturing side of making pistons you would see that the JE, Diamonds & CP pistons are made with a higher standard. It all starts with the forging's and works up from there. The Lunati's are good but thnk of it this way, why don't any of your big racing teams use them? JE pistons are used in most Winston Cup engines, Diamond's were in almost half of last years NHRA Pro Stock cars, including Greg Andersons championship pro stock car. CP's are run in a lot of Winston Cup engines and also a lot of NHRA drag racing. The Lunati's are a good entry level pistons that will hold up to the abuse that most of us on this board will put them through. Just consider all of your options before choosing your pistons. Hope this put's into light some of the differences in pistons. If you guy's have any other questions I would be happy to go over them. We should probably start a different thread though.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
Don't get me wrong here......Lunati's are good pistons but if you know the forging process and manufacturing side of making pistons you would see that the JE, Diamonds & CP pistons are made with a higher standard. It all starts with the forging's and works up from there. The Lunati's are good but thnk of it this way, why don't any of your big racing teams use them? JE pistons are used in most Winston Cup engines, Diamond's were in almost half of last years NHRA Pro Stock cars, including Greg Andersons championship pro stock car. CP's are run in a lot of Winston Cup engines and also a lot of NHRA drag racing. The Lunati's are a good entry level pistons that will hold up to the abuse that most of us on this board will put them through. Just consider all of your options before choosing your pistons. Hope this put's into light some of the differences in pistons. If you guy's have any other questions I would be happy to go over them. We should probably start a different thread though.

Thanks
What's your opinion of Wiesco pistons? Thanks man.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:55 AM

Wiseco Pistons are a very good piston. I assume they will only get better now that JE owns them. They specialize in motorcycle pistons and ATV's. If you have Wiseco's you have a good piston.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:20 PM
9 Second Club

I have Lunati pistons in my motor with more than 700wrhp and 18 pnds of boost no problems and over 100+ passes at the track with them

Quick Reply: Are lunati pistons and rings any good?