Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 step help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 step help.

i just finished wiring my 2 step up threw my msd6010 and having some problems. it will only let me set the rpm down to 2k rpms and my brakes wont hold it at 2k. they will only hold it to about 1800rpms. it will slowly start spinning the tires. im going to try and adjust my brakes to see if that will help. not sure what else to do. also im going to mess with the proportioning valve to see if i can get it to hold. th400 with no trans brake. also when its on the 2 step do i need to add timing or remove timing to get the turbo to spool. even with the tires spinning if i stay in it i saw 2psi.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the brakes won't hold at 1800, it's going to be even worse once you start building boost.

To build boost in an auto you need to add timing, which means more torque and more problems holding. Looser converter and a two step activated below the stall point might work to build boost on the line.

Your converter sound WAY too tight if it only stalls to 1800.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

on a trans brake will it allow me to stall higher? ive been thinking about a tb but if i need to get a converter or get mine re-stalled its going to have to wait.

the converter i have is suppose to be a fti 3600 nitrous converter. i thought it was going to be a little tight for my set up but not this bad.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too tight down low and causing this issue, open the proportioning valve 100% to see if it'll hold the tires at 2k rpm, otherwise it'll need a transbrake which would allow you to sit on the 2 step at 3600rpm if you wanted under boost, it will make a lot of heat in the trans fluid if you sit on it too long though. Think mine is like 10 degrees every second or so.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

i opened up the proportioning valve all the way it held a little better, i think at a sticky track it might hold because the tires just slowly turn. even with them slowly turning it makes 1-2 psi. might look alittle funny at the track with it doing a "burn out" at the starting line
Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Launching!

what about feeding his msd6010 more timing on the 2step? what's alot of timing anyways say on the 2step? say i wanted to make it bang around 4krpms, in a dragboat so as loose a convertor as there is lol, how much timing would you feed the motor? im wanting to hit my 2step at the starting rope to prespool turb, let outta the 2step when leaving to get boost up faster.ive gotta msd6012. i know its alil diff question than thread started with, jus curious as to what asphalt guys are feeding timing at on their 2steps
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Launching!

i would like to know this also ^^^ im wondering if i can get it to get in to the converter a little to make some power it would stall the converter? or am i thinking about this wrong? i can hold it if im in 2nd gear. how bad do you think it would hurt me at the track to launch in 2nd gear?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

doubt the trans would like second gear launches very much since it's a pretty mild buildup. Try putting more timing at that low boost, assuming it stays low and see if it'll spool at all, otherwise get a looser stall or a transbrake. just my .02
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Launching!

how much timing? a few more degrees? right now at 2k its at 36* or 38* cant remember off the top of my head but once it see's boost it drops fast. ill have to double check to see what timing is at 1-2 psi. im trying to get this thing to launch for the last outing of the year. and i dont have money for either right now but i plan on a transbrake over winter. will i need to get a new converter once i get a brake? or once on the brake should i be able to rev it higher?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya that's already a ton of timing before boost, you won't be able to beat that. Once your on the brake you can rev to where it flashes at the hit, so if it is a 3600 stall then you should be able to put the foot to the floor on the transbrake and sit at 3600 building boost for the launch. If you're stuck footbraking it then maybe have the stall speed loosened a little but it sounds like under boost your brakes won't hold either way on the footbrake so adding boost would just add problems keeping the tires locked up.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

would adding some timing to a few psi be worth trying. or im just going to be pushing through the brakes anyways. when i try and footbrake it it will build 1-2psi with the tires just turning. ill try and launch the car like this or would it be a bad idea?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't see how you could build more boost and still hold the rear brakes if more power is going to the rear end. I'm sure with the map sensor the car is only pulling a few degrees for each pound of boost so I don't know what the safe tuneup would be besides loosening the converter or transbrake.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Launching!

thats what i figured just trying to think of anything to get a personal best before the year is done. it actually pulls timing pretty fast once in boost. scared to run more timing not alot of blow thru lsx guys speaking up on timing. i have 36 or so base but by 6psi its down to 16 and holds 16* from 6psi to 12psi.

Quick Reply: 2 step help.