Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

skool me on f-body turbo setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default skool me on f-body turbo setups

is it worth the money to get a kit? does anyone make a decent single front mount kit? was looking at kentucky turbo performance's kits i'm looking for something to keep all my accesories so i would have to run 6.0 vette manifolds i believe.
http://kentuckyturboandperformance.com/turbo.html

or would one just be better off making their own kit? i don't weld so i would have a friend who is a good welder do so when the time comes but just looking into options as i don't see many out there.

current setup is a 6.0 lq4 with fresh 317's on them and a torquer v.3 cam and spray. i'm looking to get away from spray i want to keep the 6.0 put some pistions in it bored over and prolly do a nice set of rods while i'm in there.
still have a stock ls6 intak on it. will that hold me back much? i want to make 600whp roughly for now on a conservitive tune.

what do you guys think any suggestions on what my options are?
thanks,
jeremy
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

the kit would make life alittle easier, and your friend is going to have his hands full, but its nothing anyone with alittle know how, and some time cant do themselfs.

600rwhp is conservative, could be easy on low boost, and with a small turbo.

There is alot of little stuff that is involved; fuel system, cooling, oil for the turbo.. the list goes on..

READ as much as you can, and take your time.. it will be worth it in the end..

goodluck
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If money isn't a concern then just get the kit, but If you piece your kit together it is relatively cheaper. The LS6 IM should be fine for what your goals are "600hp" it has been done over and over again.

Use the Search function, there are many turbo builds with lots of information in them.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 AM
11 Second Truck Club

if youre only going for 600 from a 6.0, the stock bottom end will be fine, unless its got a bunch of miles, save that money and put towards the turbo and supporting stuff.
building your own kit will save a ton of money, and really isnt that hard.
i did my own rear mount setup so i could keep a/c, and been VERY happy with it.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Has anyone heard of or used these kits?
Money is a factor so I'd like to not **** it away lol. Those that have done your own kits what do you end up spending to build just the kit and parts?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Oh and my 6.0 has over 100k on it and been putting down over 500 for two hard seasons lol I'dlike to consider 600 a nice starting point
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Default Turbo

I never herd of them but i was going to go turbo at one point and i did look into the STS kit to me it looks very nice and complet and the way the kit is put to gether you can upgrad parts with out having to buy the hole thing all over i called them and they are nice over there JUST SAYING
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Launching!

That is true but the sts kits are a little pricey for me and I heard the turbos they come with aren't the greatest
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Front mount ftw!!!

Ky turbo has some pretty nice looking stuff. If you want to keep cost down, just build it yourself, and be done with it. It might take a couple trys, and a few nights of sratching your head, but atleast when your done, you can say YOU built it. Then use that extra cash to buy the rest of what you need to get it all done..
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Teching In

they are a bit pricey but if you can call them they more options as far as the turbo you got me there i know that there are a lot of videos on youtube with F bodys runing there set up
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Launching!

The last I heard you couldn't change the turbos for the twin kit. I'll have too see if they have any singles.
What I'd really like is to see on3performance make I've for these cars. They do great work for the mustangs at a unbeatable price!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

The little bit of number crunching ive done, you can do a single front mount truck manifold kit for around 1700 with a MPT76, Now i didnt take into consideration of the gauges,lines, and fuel injectors. But all should still be south of 2500 if you hit up the forsale section. Im a complete noob at this, but thats what ive come up with
Old 12-17-2010, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
The little bit of number crunching ive done, you can do a single front mount truck manifold kit for around 1700 with a MPT76, Now i didnt take into consideration of the gauges,lines, and fuel injectors. But all should still be south of 2500 if you hit up the forsale section. Im a complete noob at this, but thats what ive come up with
Are you including a boost controller, wastegate, bov? Good luck with getting it done cheap.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

a good wastegate and a nice blow off valve will be around $600-$800, the MPT76 is $750ish (i think), front mount intercooler will be $150-$200.a good supporting fuel system at the very least is going to be $700ish, im talking dual pumps, 60lb injectors, boost referenced FPR. if you can manage to fab the kit and keep the stock radiator and only buy pusher fans then those will $100-$200

thats over $2000 not including piping, flanges, and other miscellaneous items mentioned. seriously, in the end you will spend VERY close to what a basic kytp costs unless you find killer deals.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Launching!

any input on the TC76 turbo the kits come with? from what i've heard it is a pretty good turbo.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^I picked up a KYTP kit with a TC78. Can't wait to get it in my grubby hands. There is so much more to getting a turbo than just getting the kit. As others said, walbro single or duel fuel pumps, injectors, maybe a cam and springs, and gauges to name a few. I'm going a little further out because I picked up a FLT level 6 trans and s60 rear end which we just finished installing. I guess what I'm saying is do your homework which sounds like what you are doing and plan on not skimping out on supporting mods.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Are you including a boost controller, wastegate, bov? Good luck with getting it done cheap.
Wastegate and bov was included. Won't run a boost controller right off the bat, just do a 93 octane tune.

Only problem I see running into would be weather changes...but with my whopping 50-100mi a year it gets driven, I dont see it being a huge issue at first

Last edited by SuperSlow02; 12-17-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is give Josh a call. He will take the time to discuss whatever you want to do as far as a kit, accessory retention, hp potential and street or strip duty. He can do anything you want (within reason). The problem is that Josh is only taking on orders as he can do them in a timely manner. Spots fill up FAST when he gives the nod for more orders. He has done everything from cookie cutter kits to full one off race kits. He's had a lot of high end builds in his shop. The big thing is he isn't some guy that is here today and gone tomorrow type of thing. You can call him today, you can call him tomorrow and if you call him on tuesday of next week during the day he'll answer then too. Great guy to deal with and does great work. I am pleased with the craftmanship on my kit. I have yet to finish the car but I'm getting closer. I think he might be taking orders here soon so if your interested you had better get a call in! Anyways hope that helps. Chris

I will tell you some friendly advice though, turbo cars are not for the faint of heart and definitely not if you are planning to do a big hp kit. The engine/turbo kit is just the beginning. Most (myself included)think that those two things are the biggest cost out of the whole build. Wrong! I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on that car and I'm still finding more stuff to put on it that I need! Keep that in mind.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

there are couple of front mount cross over home made kits, cheap in the classifieds
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by willizm
^I picked up a KYTP kit with a TC78. Can't wait to get it in my grubby hands. There is so much more to getting a turbo than just getting the kit. As others said, walbro single or duel fuel pumps, injectors, maybe a cam and springs, and gauges to name a few. I'm going a little further out because I picked up a FLT level 6 trans and s60 rear end which we just finished installing. I guess what I'm saying is do your homework which sounds like what you are doing and plan on not skimping out on supporting mods.
yea i may be looking kind of far out i'm planning on doing my fuel system and suspension this year. i already have a moser 9" and looking to throw some parts in the motor then i will most likely purchase a turbo next winter. luckily minnesota has some long winters lol

Quick Reply: skool me on f-body turbo setups