Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I just copied and pasted all 6 pages of this Thread into an e-mail so I can read it while I'm working (not supposed to be on the internet). This seems like exactly what I want to do over the winter with my 46,000 mile stock bottom end LS1.
Thats dedication. Let me know if you have any questions
Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Thats dedication. Let me know if you have any questions
Will do. I like where you have the turbo mounted at, so I think I'm going to copy your build in terms of the placment of everything. I should be able to get a good chunk of money for all my NA parts to help fund the build.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad I don't need a WOT box to no lift shift lol sorry but I get such a good laugh in trying to understand how people cannot do no lift shifts without a WOT box. Its to much fun to not do it. That's why I always have to contain myself when shifting to not do it when I had the stock trans. Now that I have a tr6060 it'll be ***** to the walls
Old 10-07-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Will do. I like where you have the turbo mounted at, so I think I'm going to copy your build in terms of the placment of everything. I should be able to get a good chunk of money for all my NA parts to help fund the build.
Yeah if you can straddle the water pump snout with the oil cartridge on the turbo, youll have plenty of room and the piping will minimal. Itll give you plenty of drop for the oil return too
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SKULL
I am glad I don't need a WOT box to no lift shift lol sorry but I get such a good laugh in trying to understand how people cannot do no lift shifts without a WOT box. Its to much fun to not do it. That's why I always have to contain myself when shifting to not do it when I had the stock trans. Now that I have a tr6060 it'll be ***** to the walls
Ouch! haha but i bought it for the 2step, it was cheaper than anything else so i got the no lift for free imo. And yeah im still rocking that stock trans so ill take any extra insurance i can get. Buying this thing and putting it to use is cheaper than building the trans, i dont have to contain my self anymore! I would no-lift the 3-4 shift all the time before the box but its way nicer to do now.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build congrats for great work
Love the vidz
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Oh believe me, i have been. I was definitely hesitant with the shift in this video and wasn't sure if i should post it cus people judge hard on the internet lol. But the purpose of the video is not to show me shifting..

Ive been in a few races lately against autos and they asked me after if my car was an auto, cus they didnt hear any shifts, just "loud bangs where they thought the car blew up" haha. It really does make it absolutely effortless to slam the next gear with almost no loss in momentum.
Gotta go out real quick and make a quick 1-4 video grabbing gears so I can see how the box reacts to the quick shifts
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Launching!

the no lift shift is a nice feature for sure, I loved seeing my car light up both sides of the car in between shifts!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Awesome build congrats for great work
Love the vidz
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
Gotta go out real quick and make a quick 1-4 video grabbing gears so I can see how the box reacts to the quick shifts
Ill try to get one soon. It lets out a backfire with every gear change so that part wont change lol

Originally Posted by ren987
the no lift shift is a nice feature for sure, I loved seeing my car light up both sides of the car in between shifts!
I couldnt help but laugh the first time i saw fireballs under my car. It sounds pretty good when the sound bounces back off median on the highway too haha
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some updates:

I got 80lb injectors sold and installed some FIC 127's. Bought HP Tuners pro and had my tuner send me something so the car is driveable. Pretty pumped to be able to log now too.

T56 is on its way to Texas Drivetrain Performance (great cust. service) for a stage 3 build with a bung for a sprayer installed. Clutch will be a McLeod RXT twin disc.

I pulled the center section out of the rear end and had 3.50s put in because ill be running 275/50/17 M&H DR's on 17in speedlines this year. Interested to see how they fit since my car is lowered on Strano's and they are 28in tires.

I am switching from 2bar to 3bar and having the fuel pumps updated to dual 340s from lonnies performance.

Sold the UMI tunnel mount torque arm i had for a PA racing Chromoly one to try and cut some weight.

Goal is to have the car done and tuned before May 10th for the annual Ohio Lsx dyno day. Its a tight window but i think i can make it. As far as i know the stock bottom 5.7 record is 830hp, I plan on breaking that this year. I will be going to the track and the goal is to be in the 140-145mph range. I think both are very realistic goals. Ill have some pictures up soon!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish my heads would stay down. I think I could smash that record without even being as high boosted as I am now.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
I wish my heads would stay down. I think I could smash that record without even being as high boosted as I am now.
You can put in studs one at a time without removing the heads if you wanted too. Not the suggested way but it will work.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can put in studs one at a time without removing the heads if you wanted too. Not the suggested way but it will work.
Did it on my 7.3 powerstroke that way. That engine sees 50psi on a regular basis and lord knows the compression is much higher.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol im not gonna spend any money on the junk stocker.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Been awhile since I updated but the car is finally up and running again. The Mcleod RXT and built trans are back in. TDP and I decided on just building a TR6060 (T56 Magnum) for the car so it should be able to hold all the power i throw at it. They had supplier issues which is why took so long but Jason was great through the whole process. I highly recommend Texas Drivetrain Performance. The RXT feels LIGHT! It feels like im learning to drive stick all over again because my old clutch let up off the floor and it was insanely heavy.

The car has fought me every step of the way this year though, which i knew would happen since it was running so well for the past 2 years. i just shouldn't have messed with it haha. When i started it after getting the trans in, it had a misfire. Swapped the plugs and instantly force it into closed loop via HPT and its happy. I dont have a tune for the 3 bar MAP and 127lb injectors I put in, so its pig rich at idle (in open loop) which keeps fouling the plugs. All we did was update the injector data and go. I can't get a full tune yet because i need to put 500mi on the car.

So while trying to put miles on the car yesterday, it was driving better than it ever has then all of the sudden things went haywire. bucking, surging, backfiring, turning off and on. Undriveable. Call AAA, get towed home thinking the alternator took a dump, no biggie. Test the alternator and battery, everything checks out. Bypass the VATS, no change. Checked my grounds and they appeared fine At my wits end, i finally just start tugging on the wiring harness. Some things started flickering and moving so i knew i was close. Turns out one ground wire on the back of the driver side head had slowly been working its way out of the little eyelet. Between moving the harness to get bellhousing in and the motor misfiring and tweaking a lot, it managed to just snowball. Anyway, i found it and ive got to fix that coming up but at lease i found the source of the problem.

Hopefully ill be getting tuned and making some passes at the track soon! Just gotta find time to put miles on the car and make a trip down to my tuner.

New trans (Overall its slightly longer than an fbody T56, just fyi)

I love the way the car sits on the Strano lowering spings and 28in tires now.

I also picked up a 2001 Formula Firehawk. Its a hardtop, 6spd car. needs a lil paint work but the body itself is near perfect.

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 07-28-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size are the MT's? That's a beautiful Firehawk! I would love to have something like that for a cruiser.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you running for a fan setup?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
What size are the MT's? That's a beautiful Firehawk! I would love to have something like that for a cruiser.
Wheel setup is 275/50/17 M&H DR's on 17in speedlines. Not too many people running 28in tires on a 17in rim but i really like it.

Thats exactly what the hawk is though, a perfect cruiser. Still has A/C, has a nice sound system in it, rides smooth and quiet. I thought about swapping everything over that car and getting rid of the orange one as a roller, but the hawk is 1 of 50-something so i cant bring myself to molest it too bad haha

Originally Posted by 02LS1ram
What are you running for a fan setup?
Dual 12in derale's. The part number is on the first page in the parts list. Stock radiator pulled forward
Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Figured its time for an update. Dream Cruise was awesome and the car did great. Got a pretty cool video on the way that my buddy is working on. BUT onto the important stuff.

N2MB WOT box and 2step is installed. Both features work great, the no lift feature is a lot of fun. if you are just looking for a 2step, i would look at the lingenfelter though. This is not as plug and play the lingenfelter is. Ill have a vid of the WOT feature soon.

http://youtu.be/8mxi9aThRFk
Any new numbers? Hows the N2MB box working?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spectre86
Any new numbers? Hows the N2MB box working?
Have a tune scheduled for 8/31. Just trying to get my break in miles on the car. Fan relays quit on me so that set me back a lil this weekend.

Anyone running derale fans should upgrade the relays to 40amp units. Car hit 235*ish but i had some wire in the car and rewired 1 straight to the battery to get me home.

Ill be hitting the track ASAP once im tuned so ill be putting that box to the test as well. It worked awesome last year when i got some races in. i loved it.

Quick Reply: Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!