Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, Upgrading to PT7675

See last page for updates

Well i almost abandoned this project at the beginning of summer for a H/C/I build but im glad nothing sold, as ive really enjoyed the build thus far.

But I would first like to thank Rob at ModularTurbo. He's been a hell of a lot of help and I seriously appreciate it. I know ill be calling him more as things come up. One of the most helpful guys ive ever dealt with. If anyone is planning a turbo build, you need to call him.

Second big thanks to Blake at Motovative. Got a great deal on the new alternator bracket and TC78.

Anyways,

This is a 90% street car. Its not my DD. It will see the track. Im not shooting for a specific E.T. right now but I am shooting for 130mph traps. This build has been completely centered around keeping the cost down and doing it on as little a budget as possible. But with that said, i am not cutting corners and am not buying sketchy parts. Im just not over-doing anything. Ive tried to keep things as simple as possible.

I would have liked to run the car cam-only before the turbo but i never got a chance to get it fully tuned. With the half tune it has it has beat a few 112-114mph cars. So id like to think with a tune it wouldve done 116.

I know the cam i have has a good amount of overlap but im hoping that by letting some of the pressure blow through, it'll help the motor survive a lil longer but who knows.

The current setup
Stock 99 Shortblock (49k mi)
317 Heads
LS9 Headgaskets
ARP Headstuds
LS6 Intake
El Torro cam
921 valvesprings
TSP Hardened pushrods
TSP ported ls6 oil pump

Turbo setup
TC78 .96 a/r >> now a PT7675 .96 a/r
Truck manifolds
2.5" hotside
3" downpipe
JGS 50mm WG (8psi for now)
RPS 50mm BOV
31x12x4 Cxracing intercooler.
3" aluminum piping

Fuel
Lonnies dual pumps
hotwire kit
FAST fuel rails
80lb injectors
-8AN feed/-6AN return
Aeromotive Boost referenced FPR
E85

Driveline
Stock 60k mi t56
Textralia OZ700
Moser 9in 3.25 gear 31spine Trutrac
3.5in aluminum driveshaft

Suspension
UMI Tunnel mount torque arm w/ driveshaft loop
UMI Chromoly adj. lower control arms
UMI Chromoly adj. panhard bar
UMI Subframe Connectors (welded)
Competition Engineering Rear drag shocks
KYB AGX front shocks
Strano Lowering spring
No front swaybar, stock rear.

Misc
Wideband- need suggestions, leaning towards AEM
Stock radiator location
2 Pusher Derale(16925) 11.75" fans (2,210cfm each)
2bar map sensor ( how high of boost can i go with this??)
Saikou Michi dual catch cans
Motovative Performance N383 Alternator relocation kit
CBR Performance Oil feed block (very nice piece)
N2MB WOT box with 2 step

I really wanted to make this thread so you guys could give me suggestions on what needs to changed, if anything. It'd also be nice to have some questions answered. Also if anyone is planning a build and would like pics of anything let me know and ill be glad to help out.

Progress will be slooooowwww. I'm at school, 2hrs away from the car so if i get a chance to go home i will. These pics are progress pics to where it sits now. I did all this in about 4 days while waiting on parts to get here. I will update the thread with pics and progress as work gets done!

Mock up

Seeing how much i need to extend the radiator hose by. Ill also be fabbing a radiator mount so as soon as thats done ill post pics of it.

Alt Relocation

Catch Cans mounted

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 08-20-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

any suggestions motor mounts? I was thinking about doing solid motor mounts(motovative) but i was also leaning towards prothane. Anyone have issues with the prothane melting?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im doing pretty much the same exact build as you except im forging mine so its taking a lil longer.. but anyways im doing solids..cheap and effective..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats what im thinking, i mean everything else on the car is solid haha. any idea what springs the JGS comes with? i know there is one it and it also came with an extra, im just not sure what each is?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Looking forward to this build. Hope to see the car around locally.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That setup looks real familiar Nice alternator bracket too! I have about 5,000 miles on my turbo setup and my prothane motor mounts haven't mounted yet. I'm glad I don't have solid motor mounts because you can't pull the transmission with out unbolting the solid ones.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
Looking forward to this build. Hope to see the car around locally.
Thanks! It'll be ready by spring for sure. The "front" of the car should be done by Thanksgiving and ill probably wait till tax return time to do the fuel. Trying not to put anything on my credit card but im a broke *** college kid trying to go fast.

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
That setup looks real familiar Nice alternator bracket too! I have about 5,000 miles on my turbo setup and my prothane motor mounts haven't mounted yet. I'm glad I don't have solid motor mounts because you can't pull the transmission with out unbolting the solid ones.
I seriously watched your build thread like a hawk after you said you were building more of these alternator brackets haha. Pretty sure i was in the first 5 to get one once Blake finished them. Awesome bracket, made it easy to mount the catch cans too, no where else for them to go.

But as for the motor mounts thats the only reason im hesitating going with solid mounts over prothanes

Anyone know what springs the JGS wastegates come with?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you made up your oil and feed lines yet? Just curious on the route you took or going to take. Looks like its coming along nicely, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Have you made up your oil and feed lines yet? Just curious on the route you took or going to take. Looks like its coming along nicely, keep us posted on your progress.
I have all the lines, just havent done it yet. thats really one of the last things remaining. Next time i go home im dropping the oil pan and tapping it. I bought the CBR performance oil feed block(from modular turbo) so i dont have to tap the feed. It also came with a lil magnet to catch any debris that might be floating around. I was gonna tap the front cover(for the return obviously) but i dont feel like buying an underdrive pulley so thatd be tough to pull off. I plan on running the feed through the power steering area but we'll see. Im going for as clean as possible so that may change things a little if i find a cleaner path.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a good plan of attack there. I drilled and tapped for my feed and pulled the oil pan too, but had my fitting welded. I always hated how my DSM would leak oil between the bolted flange and pan. Those gaskets really sucked. This was the main reason for welding a fitting.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

subscribed.

going to be doing a similar build this winter as well.

who made the alternator bracket??
Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Sounds like a good plan of attack there. I drilled and tapped for my feed and pulled the oil pan too, but had my fitting welded. I always hated how my DSM would leak oil between the bolted flange and pan. Those gaskets really sucked. This was the main reason for welding a fitting.
yeah im probably gonna have my dad take it to work and weld the fitting into the oil pan. A few of my friends have DSM's that all leak in that same fashion. I wanna be far from a DSM haha.

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
subscribed.

going to be doing a similar build this winter as well.

who made the alternator bracket??
Nitroused383 from this site designed it and made the first one, Motovative put it into production. see link below.

http://www.motovativeperformance.com...=product&id=29
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a great build up, nice job
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
looks like a great build up, nice job
Thanks man. Ive got you're build thread under my favorites for reference, I really learned a lot from it.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck yes we all learned alot from Tally, now if only I could shift like him
Old 09-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good so far bud, ill have to swing out that way when your done and check it out,
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
looks good so far bud, ill have to swing out that way when your done and check it out,
Sounds good. Ill definitely try to have the car out more and hit some more shows up next year. i dont even think i put 1500 mi on it this year.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you might as well remove that front bumper support all together lol. youve cut enough off it to make it pointless to have. id ditch it and save some weight. looking good thus far though keep it up
Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Driftunit
you might as well remove that front bumper support all together lol. youve cut enough off it to make it pointless to have. id ditch it and save some weight. looking good thus far though keep it up
I could but then id have to fab a new intercooler mount. either way its only a few lbs and thats nothing another lb of boost cant take care of
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

point made lol

Quick Reply: Front Mount build thread. Stock Shortblock, TC78, 6spd. Numbers/Vid on Page 3!