Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best engine for the swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine for the swap?

Gonna attempt the junkyard turbo 5.3 swap in my 95 lt1, which engine would be the one im looking for?
ly5 or the lm7???
and what sort of things should i look out for on them?? also any idea on things i may need to complete the swap over the winter would be really helpful, thanks guys
-Drew
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Found an LM7 out of a 1500 sierra for 700$ complete engine, everything included. the Iron block aluminum heads version. think i might pounce on this one.
-Drew
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car Craft mag has done alot of articles on 5.3L boosted(Turbo or Supercharged) engines the aluminum block will save you around 65-80+ LBs.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

thats true also, i figured the aluminum block wouldnt hold up as well tho, is that right or wrong? i plan on getting the 5.3 from the junkyard, building my own DIY manifold turbo build with a borg warner 71-73 mm, if i can afford it an intercooler and meth injection. an ls6 cam, with the fuel upgrades. im going to try and do all of this for under 6-7 grand if possible. my own little dirtball special lol. gonna try and run it at about 12psi and see how long it will last. once it blows and im pretty sure it will ( gonna be awesome) i'll then take it out and do the bottom end right if the damage isnt to bad. or just buy another one haha. would the aluminum block stand up to 12psi or would that be pushing it?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12psi isn't much, especially on that small of a turbo, at least for the iron block. I know there are plenty of stock bottom end iron blocks on here with 76mm+ seeing 20+psi on a daily basis.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

I didn't think it would be able to take that much . The car won't be a dd , more of a weekend warrior driven to the track and home , and to the local car get togethers with the old fellas around here . Could you link a few of those threads in here for me to read at home ? I'm posting on my cell phone now and can't really search to well
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZzTeaRs
I didn't think it would be able to take that much . The car won't be a dd , more of a weekend warrior driven to the track and home , and to the local car get togethers with the old fellas around here . Could you link a few of those threads in here for me to read at home ? I'm posting on my cell phone now and can't really search to well
Look up threads by Denmah or skinnies. Those are the guys with the most informative threads on junk yard turbo stuff.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

thx for the info, searching now
-Drew

Quick Reply: Best engine for the swap?