Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Twin build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Twin build

I am putting together parts to build a low buck stock shortblock style twin 5.3, strickly for the track and to see how quick I can get a JY type engine to go. That said, I already have a 07 aluminum 5.3 out of a Avalanche with 60k miles, 2 masterpower T70's .68 and a 85 Monte that weighs 2500 with a BBC.

My questions are. (keep in mind budget).
Heads?
Cam and valve train?
How far can I get with the truck manifold? (90mm)
Which throttle body?
Header/log style primary tube size?
Injector size?
Fuel pump?

Any comments, ideas welcomed.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the lightest g body i ever seen. Keep the stock truck intake and tb, boost doesn't care that much. Keep the stock heads with dual valve springs and do some cheap kmj head studs and ls9 gaskets. For the cam get a cheap ls6 or ls9 cam. Log style manifolds work great and are easy to pack or else i think obx turbo headers work in gbodys too. Injectors and fuel pump depend on your hp goal. I like 60lb injectors and a Bosch 044 for 600-700whp on pump gas. It keeps it nice and simple and on the cheap end.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks. Its light thats for sure. I currently have a 75mm throttle body, the original one on the engine was gone when I got it. The heads are 706's, should I shop for something different 799 or 317? I can't find any of the OBX headers in stock, I've made logs for small and big blocks in the past, I could fab a set in a day.

What would be a good set of springs?

Last edited by TurboMonte100; 11-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 706's will be fine. the 317's would drop compression too low. if you have made logs before than you should do that instead, that will be better than wasting money on already built ones. i like brian tooley dual valve springs. they are $219 from tick performance and are just as good as the patriots and they will hold up very well. what are your power goals and which tranny are you using?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tick has the Platinum springs for $219, they're a step up from the old Patriot springs. I also have an Extreme spring kit like the old Patriot for $209.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Launching!

I know that 706's would not be most peoples first choice, and I have read about a cracking issue. You really think 317's will bring the compression too low? Not meaning to be a smartass, this is my first LS project.

My power goals are limited by what the stock short block will give me. I've got a good glide.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks Brian, I was checking them out earlier after seeing on a another thread. I will most likely go with a set, as soon as I settle on some heads.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you like the LS9 cam I do a slightly larger version of it with aftermarket lobes and it makes a great cam with mild manners.

I can also do something that will make more power and really set that 2500lb. car on fire with a set of twins.

A truck manifold with a 90mm TB is a great manifold I'd keep it. I'd do a LS2 TB or a TBSS 90mm TB which is basically the same thing as the LS2 TB or a LS3 TB. I think the 706's will also be fine and that 317's will drop the compression to low for my taste.

I would use truck manifolds or fabricate your own log style manifolds.

Go with FIC 1000cc injectors and I'm betting since you're in Indiana you can get E85 pretty easily so I'd run it for sure. 3 Walboro 255's would be my choice of fuel pump also, cheap and easy. You could also do 2 Bosch 044's or slip two 255's in tank and a 044 in-line.

I'd also run stock trunion upgraded rockers and a good push rod like a 11/32" Trend, Manton or like company. Manley and Smith Bros. also make good push rods.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks. I don't have a baseline for cams, as this is my first LS engine. I'm all for something that will make more power.

I have used E85 in the past. Keeping the "budget" in mind, would I be better off with gas? Would E85 require new fuel rails regulator etc? I am running a fuel cell in the front.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

If you were planning on using stock fuel rails and lines to begin with then yes you will need aftermarket rails and lines.

No matter the fuel I would run a BRFPR that has a rising 1:1 ratio with boost.

To determine the proper cam for your set-up I need you to fill out one of my forms first. I'll shoot my email address over in a reply to your PM you sent me earlier.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Yes my original plan is to use as much stock parts as possible (both budget and stock look).

Yes I am planning on a BRFPR, anyone have a good low cost one to recommend?

Not to be repetitive, let me ask my question about heads another way. I don't want to waste time , money and effort into a set that I will possibly not be happy with later. That said (and keeping my combo in mind). What would be the best set to use for a "budget max effort" stock short block 5.3?

Martin Thanks for your input.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboMonte100
Yes my original plan is to use as much stock parts as possible (both budget and stock look).

Not to be repetitive, let me ask my question about heads another way. I don't want to waste time , money and effort into a set that I will possibly not be happy with later. That said (and keeping my combo in mind). What would be the best set to use for a "budget max effort" stock short block 5.3?

Good build..looking forward to see what you go with.

Hey Martin, I'm gonna give you a call
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks TurboSid. The LS engine, learning something new and the idea of seeing how quick I can get a stock shortblock to go has given me a new spark after 30 years of racing.

Brian I have been looking at the spring kits listed, I'm confused as to the difference between the .660 extreme and platinum kits? Other than $10 of course.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Ported 243 head from AI, TEA or PRC.
Originally Posted by TurboSid
Good build..looking forward to see what you go with.

Hey Martin, I'm gonna give you a call
Try and call me after 1:00 P.M. EST as I will be at lunch shortly.
Thanks TurboSid. The LS engine, learning something new and the idea of seeing how quick I can get a stock shortblock to go has given me a new spark after 30 years of racing.

Brian I have been looking at the spring kits listed, I'm confused as to the difference between the .660 extreme and platinum kits? Other than $10 of course.
Nothing is different other than the coating on the Extreme springs and that Brian is phasing them out. Extreme springs that is.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Try and call me after 1:00 P.M. EST as I will be at lunch shortly.
Good conversation thanks for the helpful info Martin. Gonna discuss with my engine builder then get back to you asap!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just keep the 706's. A4ls2goat is using them on his 4.8 and hasn't had any issues
Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TurboSid
Good conversation thanks for the helpful info Martin. Gonna discuss with my engine builder then get back to you asap!
Get that form filled out after you talk to him and we'll go from there. This sounds like an awesome build and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Quick Reply: 5.3 Twin build