Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I finally got anti lag to work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I finally got anti lag to work!

Here is a little tech info on my set up. I have a 5.3 ls forged h beam rods and pistons, stock crank, p&p heads, (and a Zr1 cam and valve springs) out of a 04 Tahoe in my 84 S10 blazer. I am running a twin HX35 with 44mm waste gate set up and a pro systems 950 cfm blow thru carb. Untill this winter I ran no intercooler. I also run a MSD 6ls box. with last years set up the best pass was a 9.819@ 141mph on 32 lbs of boost. I could use the two step on a t brake and get 15lbs of boost on the line, but for 2 years I have always tried to get at least 20lbs on the line and total out at 30lbs down the track. I can get the down track boost but not the launch boost till now!!!

This winter i messed around with the MSD programing and got some great results, I also installed a water to air intercooler and all new charge pipes. So last year I was setting my initial timing at 26 and ending up at 14 deg under full boost, so I knew that with the new intercooler I can up the timing at least 10 deg total and 4 deg under full boost , of course I can prob go more before I start the year and get some dyno time in next month.

But any way here is where I am at. I have total timing set @ 36 deg and drop timing to be at 18 deg under full boost, but on the t brake w/ 2step I still am only hitting the 15lbs of boost so I looking into other ways to try and hit the 20lbs mark. so after chating with Edgar at MSD we came up with this, When I get up on the 2 step and max the limiter I then trigger the step retard wire on the 6ls so that I drop another 10 deg for a total of 8 deg on the 2 step. And what do you know I hit the 20lb mark because the step retard created Anti Lag. So here is a video of the first step retard test.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job! very interesting.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

very good info. after finding antilag for myself and then researching it more online, i found your vid on youtube.

i was trying to figure out how to make my launch less violent so I put a timing retard on the transbrake, but then i decided to try it on the footbrake in 2nd gear but still use the tb button to enable the 2 step.

well, after a few moments, it would start popping and banging like that and I decided to look into the datalog to see why(I forgot about the retard I added)

well I noticed that as soon as it got below 10 degrees of total timing on the 2 step, it would start anti-lagging like this. quite an interesting find because Ive always thought the only way you build boost on an auto is through added timing,, not retarded timing.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Nice vid! Dam 32psi what pistons are running stock bore?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 831jd
Nice vid! Dam 32psi what pistons are running stock bore?
the pistons are a 1 off, a friend of mine owns a piston company in Ca. and made them for me to see if they want to get into the Ls market. all I can say is that they are stock bore and a 22cc dish piston
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Love me a Holset.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Launching!

This is exactly what me and another guy was talking to Matt the other day in the fi section . Because Matt's been testing out his anti lag with his microsquit. I'm goin 2 run the ms1/msd combo and goin to activate the nos retard with the 2step and see how it does
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
This is exactly what me and another guy was talking to Matt the other day in the fi section . Because Matt's been testing out his anti lag with his microsquit. I'm goin 2 run the ms1/msd combo and goin to activate the nos retard with the 2step and see how it does
it should work with a good drop in timing
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i couldnt get it to work with my LS engine, turbo combo, but i did try it a few times! haha

i knew it might work for some people, the -10deg really helps me out on my setup

mine actually fires at -10degrees of timing, it doesnt just take out 10deg
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

thumpn how are you triggering the retard? toggle? do you have it wired in with the t brake? great work! just would like some clarification on how it works.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Launching!

I am a little bit different being a clutch car but same principle, and I am doing it with hp tuners and an N2Mb 2step.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have to see more of this, very interesting
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Launching!

So soon as you hit your set 2step rpm you just hit your step retard? And it hits 20psi? Are you full throttle?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by overhere
thumpn how are you triggering the retard? toggle? do you have it wired in with the t brake? great work! just would like some clarification on how it works.
As soon as I am all the way up on the 2 step I have a second button on the steering wheel that I push to activate the step ret. when i want to launch I let booth buttons go.

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
So soon as you hit your set 2step rpm you just hit your step retard? And it hits 20psi? Are you full throttle?
yep as I hit the step retard after it pops about 4-5 times it is at 20lbs and yes I am full throttle on the T brake a 2 step
The following users liked this post:
Woodylyf767 (04-21-2023)
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ren did you have to call up for that 2 step thing? i'm looking on the site and it dosnt mention anything for our pcms'
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Thumpn
As soon as I am all the way up on the 2 step I have a second button on the steering wheel that I push to activate the step ret. when i want to launch I let booth buttons go.

yep as I hit the step retard after it pops about 4-5 times it is at 20lbs and yes I am full throttle on the T brake a 2 step

ok thanks, have you launched with the car like this yet? are you running boost power valves? if so what psi do they open?

reason i ask is i had some problems with coming off the brake from flooding and the car would stumble off the brake.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by overhere
ok thanks, have you launched with the car like this yet? are you running boost power valves? if so what psi do they open?

reason i ask is i had some problems with coming off the brake from flooding and the car would stumble off the brake.
I have launched of the 2 step and t brake just not with the step retard yet. I know that the primaries have a valve not sure what it opens at never looked at it the secondaries no valve. Pro systems built my carb and the only thing I have ever touch in it is the jets to correct for altituted , never had a flooding issue with my carb, you might want to look into you regulator not ref correctly
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

when will you test it out at the track? im curious to know how it worked
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Been doing this on little 4banger Honda's for years now. Only way to get a huge turbo with a 1.6-1.8L engine to spool is anti-lag... If you could find a way to dump some more fuel and retard the timing to where it's firing ATDC or close to TDC you will probably be able to get more than that off the line. I could get most of the little hondas I did to wastegate pressure within a matter of a few seconds.

Normally it only works well on a stickshift car though... Stall auto cars have load on the engine and to keep the engine making HP to stall the convertor takes timing so finding a happy medium is key.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an auto and HPtuners, with a 2 step. Let's say I have my 2 step set at 3800 rpms. In HPtuners I will go to that cell and ad timing and lean the mixture up to build boost. Is that not correct for building boost? I haven't had a chance to play with it much and am still learning to tune. My only issue I am having is building boost.

Is the way I am doing it okay as well? I would think that if I have the 2 step set for 3800 then I could go to that cell in HPtuners and drop or ad the timing 10 degrees to get the same affect. Is that correct or not?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: I finally got anti lag to work!