Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Handling difference between h/c and s/c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling difference between h/c and s/c?

Anyone notice a difference in handling due to the added weight of a supercharger?

*2005 c6 z51 pkg vette on coilovers*

Last edited by c u in rearveiw; 08-09-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It really doesn't add enough to make a noticeable difference in handling. The blower is ~15-20lbs depending on size, but on an f-body, it's mounted low, so it's not as bad. Then you have the coldside piping which is typically aluminum and the intercooler, which adds another 15-20lbs, which again, is low in the car, so it's not as bad as a top mounted positive displacement blower would be.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Most centri chargers for the c6's weigh between 80-100lbs.....and mounted at the forward most right corner of the engine bay it adds a bunch of extra weight to that corner of the car.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Where did you get the 80-100lb from? Is that the shipping weight of everything in the kit/box?

If it really is 80-100lbs, I'm a lot stronger than I realize since I was able to hold it over my head with one hand and bolt it up with the other. Granted, it's a D1SC, so I would expect an F1 to weigh more, and an F2 more than that, etc etc.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, shipping weights. A&A and procharger kits are lighter than the ecs kits....but all within 20lbs of each other...
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

So that's the entire kit weight. All of that isn't in one spot. You have the piping, intercooler, etc. So yes, it is weight in front of the wheels, but it's not horrendous.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Weight

I will not comment on anyone else s opinion, but this is what I know from my experience

I received my ECS Novi Blower, with inter-cooler, complete kit, in 1 box, and also in that box I received a Blower cam, Springs, push rods and a timing chain.
The 1 box weighed 72 lbs when shipped UPS to my door.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Mastif
I will not comment on anyone else s opinion, but this is what I know from my experience

I received my ECS Novi Blower, with inter-cooler, complete kit, in 1 box, and also in that box I received a Blower cam, Springs, push rods and a timing chain.
The 1 box weighed 72 lbs when shipped UPS to my door.
So I'm not too far off on my estimates of about 20lbs or so for the blower, another 20lbs or so for the charge pipe/intercooler, another 10-15lbs for the brackets etc.

Move the battery to the trunk, get some lighter suspension pieces, lighter hood, and it will help offset the weight. The additional power is worth every pound of weight added.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well that is refreshing information. I want to go f/I due to good drivabillity but didnt like the thought of all the added weight. My car is on phadt coilovers now and handling is why I love these cars so much.....just didnt want to upset the weight balance of the car.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless road racing I wouldn't worry about it. Kinda like my LQ9 vs my old LS1...100 lbs heavier and didn't notice a difference whatsoever
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Unless road racing I wouldn't worry about it. Kinda like my LQ9 vs my old LS1...100 lbs heavier and didn't notice a difference whatsoever
I would like to do a few road courses a year (just for fun).
Old 08-08-2014, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My blower was 85lbs. I noticed the added front weight right away. Not a big deal, but you could definitely tell it was there. Anybody who tells you they added 80-100lbs weight to one end of their car and tells you they can't feel it is not someone you should be taking advice from if you are concerned about handling.

Last edited by LS1-IROC; 08-08-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

I was finding it difficult to believe that it could go unnoticed as well....when I pick up an 80lb dumbell at the gym. I mean I will probably never roadcourse (race) competitively. ...but I really enjoy a well balanced machine.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
My blower was 85lbs. I noticed the added front weight right away. Not a big deal, but you could definitely tell it was there. Anybody who tells you they added 80-100lbs weight to one end of their car and tells you they can't feel it is not someone you should be taking advice from if you are concerned about handling.
Exactly. 85lbs sitting on top of the motor adds weight higher than your wheel line, which is going to have more of an impact on roll center than a 25lb blower hanging down by the oil pan. Why do you think that GM made the ZR1 with a carbon fiber roof and the Z06 has thinner glass in it? Because weight higher in the car has more impact than lower. Handling on the street, where you're not pushing the car to the limits is different than tracking a car. First thing you do if you are serious about tracking a car is to put it on a set of scales and see what the corner weights are.

Originally Posted by c u in rearveiw
I was finding it difficult to believe that it could go unnoticed as well....when I pick up an 80lb dumbell at the gym. I mean I will probably never roadcourse (race) competitively. ...but I really enjoy a well balanced machine.
Yes, it adds some weight, no doubt, but it's not like an 80lb dumbbell. It's weight that is spread out, so it's not concentrated in one area.

If you want to track the car, put it on a set of scales and see what your corner weights are first, then start making some decisions of where you can add or remove weight.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any weight you could moved to the rear? here are some ideas:

Battery moved to rear
Carbon hood, fenders and front bumper
Carbon rocker covers
Light weight wheels
A light weight big brake kit or the Z06 carbon brake kit
Removing the crash member or getting a light one made up
Ditching the AC
moving washer tank to the rear
If dry sump moving the dry sump tank to the rear
Thinner front glass

Some are a bit more radical than others but just some ideas.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default Weight

Weight,,,,,,,,,,,what weight?
When I get on boost, my car feels 500 lbs lighter on the front end as the headlights tends to look and point to the clouds & stars.
Don't over think it,,,,,,,,,,,,it's no big deal.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mastif
Weight,,,,,,,,,,,what weight?
When I get on boost, my car feels 500 lbs lighter on the front end as the headlights tends to look and point to the clouds & stars.
Don't over think it,,,,,,,,,,,,it's no big deal.
Right and how many race circuits do you drive? It's not all about power in a track day car. You need a balance between handling and power if you want to be fast.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got coilovers? Got access to 4 post scales? Corner scale the car, should help get the weight more evenly distributed.

Adding weight to the FRONT of any car, will change the dynamic of it, especially in corners. Will YOU notice? Probably NOT....not unless it's a dialed in track car you have plenty of seat time in to notice a difference like that.

..and for a track car...I would THINK you'd wanna be more into a turbo setup then a blower setup given how they both make boost differently but, to each they're own.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

V series, the vette isn't the easiest to turbo though and they don't deal with heat very well (limited airflow). The other issue with turbos is getting to boost to represent the throttle position. That should be easier with a centri as it's crank driven. You can do it with turbos using boost a boost controller or mappable ecu.

Quick Reply: Handling difference between h/c and s/c?