Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo bracing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo bracing

im building a 93 s10 5.3 singe turbo s476r. making log style manifolds out of sch10 stainless. truck has solid motor mounts, and turbo location will be on the passenger side of the truck, very close to the end of the manifold

even tho the manifold is heavy material, should the 40lb turbo still be supported? im guessing yes... ive seen a lot of kits just hang the turbo off a mani, but that's a lot of weight.

i want to support the turbo, but the turbo inlet flange is going to be right off of the passenger side mani, so i cant put a flex joint in there, would it be a bad idea to solid mount the turbo to the frame? im thinking it will still have flex between the engine and frame which will be bad on the mani.

ill be able to add a flex joint where the driver side crosses over to the inlet flange.

so how do i mount this beast up? any pics or imput is appreciated
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I made brackets on my frame rails for the turbos and built the exhaust to it
if you do it like this, you either need to have a flex coupler in line between the headers and the turbos, or have a solidly mounted engine on a motor plate/mid plate

I'm Solid Mounted with a Motor Plate and Mid Plate

This is ALL Still a work in Progress...

Passenger Side

Drivers Side
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I would try to avoid solid mounting turbos to frame rails. try to brace the turbo off the head, or somewhere else off of the engine, you'd be surprised how much an engine with solid mounts still moves under full tilt.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by alex5.3t
I would try to avoid solid mounting turbos to frame rails. try to brace the turbo off the head, or somewhere else off of the engine, you'd be surprised how much an engine with solid mounts still moves under full tilt.
solid mounts are very different than a Motorplate/Mid plate setup
mounts that go to the K-member, will have a lot of movement when the whole chassis flexes under load

you have to have more than just the K-member holding things together between the frame rails

as I said...you should only do it if you use some flex couplers
or if you are using a Motor plate and mid plate setup (preferably along with an engine lateral travel limiter as well)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by soundengineer
solid mounts are very different than a Motorplate/Mid plate setup
mounts that go to the K-member, will have a lot of movement when the whole chassis flexes under load

you have to have more than just the K-member holding things together between the frame rails

as I said...you should only do it if you use some flex couplers
or if you are using a Motor plate and mid plate setup (preferably along with an engine lateral travel limiter as well)
I agree, was just advising OP to try and stay away from mounting turbos to frame rails on just solid motor mounts. I would just get creative when you're bracing it. I've never had a car where i couldn't find some sort of hole to bolt a brace to.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

I could run some 3/8 or 1/2 rod back over to the head or block, I just didn't feel like it would be as supportive as right off the frame. I figured things would move to much, just wanted others opinions on it.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by alex5.3t
I agree, was just advising OP to try and stay away from mounting turbos to frame rails on just solid motor mounts. I would just get creative when you're bracing it. I've never had a car where i couldn't find some sort of hole to bolt a brace to.

yeah.. I was just clarifying
I just didnt want some random reader to think a pair of solid motor mounts was as solid as a motor plate / mid plate setup..
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Hope the link works...I like the turbo bracing that DiMartino Fabrications did for S13Lsx's build before the untimely tragedy:

https://www.facebook.com/16130365057...type=3&theater
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how I did mine (still not complete) there is a plate going across the top welding them together and it bolts to 2 spots on the head.

I made the flange at work but its a standard T4 divided then I drilled and tapped (4) 1/4-20nc holes on the side(s) (2 per side about 1/2" deep.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails turbo bracing-20140925_154216.jpg   turbo bracing-20141003_233245.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the pics and ideas guys, this will definitely help me. only problem with mine is that my turbo will sit further back than most of these pics, probably about even with the end of the manifold, and not quite as low as these pics, as mine will sit about even with the manifold. so it might be a little tougher to brace. thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

great advice on this thread gotta figure all mine out next week

Quick Reply: turbo bracing