Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build! Very nice workmanship throughout. Many similarities to my engine build in progress, which also include owners age and planned use. lol

Where did you end up with your plan to run a wastegate? Did not see one mounted yet.

Excited to hear that first rumble!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HP52TA
Awesome build! Very nice workmanship throughout. Many similarities to my engine build in progress, which also include owners age and planned use. lol

Where did you end up with your plan to run a wastegate? Did not see one mounted yet.

Excited to hear that first rumble!

I voted YES on the waste-gate. We mounted it just next to the BOV.
Good/ Bad or indifferent, this will be an interesting experiment. Electronic boost control solenoid will be controlled through the Holley EFI. ( the hold up on the build is due to some decisions re: gauges). The Holley system renders most of the stock gauges useless. We are trying to work out which of the stock gauges are still operable & which ones we can create a work around on & where to place the Holley touch screen ( virtual gauges).
If we can't get the stock cluster to do something .... I will have to get creative with mounting the Holley touch screen in that location. I'm hoping we can keep the speedometer & fuel gauge. I'm toying with the idea of having a custom counsel created to place the screen in front of the center a/c gauges. Or maybe a more crude version like a swing arm mount similar to what the cops use for their Mobil computers.

I'm still dreaming of cam lope & blow sounds.
It's my own fault for taking this too far ..... I'm running down the rabbit hole.
But, What a trip !!!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
Here's a pic of my Alky Control pump mounted. Also have the plastic cut to let the inlet tube fit alot better and below the Bypass Valve, sounds awesome!

Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You finish this project yet?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You finish this project yet?
Just saw this.
Short answer: "not yet, about two weeks left"

Long answer:
I am pushing hard to get it done. I'm embarrassed at how long its taking.
The decision to go with the Holley ECU was a good one however, the ramifications of doing it with what will be a weekend street car are left to be desired.
Getting through the wiring of what will & wont work without a stock computer is challenging. We are 99% there. Just gauges & touch screen left on that front.

Turned it over, all is well ! I ran only 30 seconds but all systems operating.
A few fluid leaks to address, had to order a new power steering hose, steam vents leaking as well.

Need to install:
catch can, vacuum to boost controller, vacuum to BOV (that's why I shut it down along with the various leaks),
axle back portion of the exhaust to modify, sway bars, alignment, & tune.
Front bumper is getting repainted & my headlights are being "Frankensteined" as we speak. ( I had the Breathless fixed headlight kit that was pathetic as far as performance goes. So we modified & replaced housing with some custom made projectors from BlackBird Solutions).

I'm tied up all the way till 10 days from now (that's the frustrating part, so close yet so far). Hope to at least have a video for you guys just a little after that.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, another delay.
I'm going to take the "glass is 1/2 full" approach & say " it's a good thing this happened now & not on the rollers @ 6k rpm".

Upon the second start up ( idle for 60 seconds). We heard a misfire. Chasing what we thought was an electrical issue with no result lead us to removing the valve cover to find one of the valves not moving.
Broken lifter.
Motor is coming out again. Hoping it's not too bad. Hoping to find the roller, two pin halves & two casing chips laying in a pretty pile at the bottom of the oil pan. (Wish me luck with that !). Camera showed just a light scuff on the cam lobe. We shall see.

Ordered a set of LS7 lifters & trays ( good choice ?).
I'll also take this opportunity to make a few mods that were overlooked on this fresh build. Aster Bracket for one ( don't ask how we left that one out).

I'll keep ya posted.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.-image.jpg  
Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Well, another delay.
I'm going to take the "glass is 1/2 full" approach & say " it's a good thing this happened now & not on the rollers @ 6k rpm".

Upon the second start up ( idle for 60 seconds). We heard a misfire. Chasing what we thought was an electrical issue with no result lead us to removing the valve cover to find one of the valves not moving.
Broken lifter.
Motor is coming out again. Hoping it's not too bad. Hoping to find the roller, two pin halves & two casing chips laying in a pretty pile at the bottom of the oil pan. (Wish me luck with that !). Camera showed just a light scuff on the cam lobe. We shall see.

Ordered a set of LS7 lifters & trays ( good choice ?).
I'll also take this opportunity to make a few mods that were overlooked on this fresh build. Aster Bracket for one ( don't ask how we left that one out).

I'll keep ya posted.

Hang in there Patrick! Thanks for the order for the Aster bracket. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-28-2015, 07:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch, which lifters where those? I see the link bar.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Ouch, which lifters where those? I see the link bar.
Morrel.
I'm replacing with LS7.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see some timeslips/video of this thing, once completed! My motor is holding on for longer than expected. Curious about how this works out.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
I want to see some timeslips/video of this thing, once completed! My motor is holding on for longer than expected. Curious about how this works out.
Emphasis on Once completed !
Motor is completely disassembled & being cleaned out. My hopes of finding a neat little pile of shrapnel was only a pipe dream. I found all the parts but you can see that something disintegrated. Surprisingly No damage. Everything & every nook & cranny is being thoroughly cleaned & inspected.
Should be back together by next week.

Video you shall see .... Time slips probably not. PBIR will not let me run without a roll bar. Truthfully I'm not curious. Just want my private roller coaster ride.

Glad to hear that yours is holding up this long. Gives us all hope.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hang in there Patrick! Thanks for the order for the Aster bracket. Bob

Thanks Bob. Your advice is always appreciated.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: ( for anyone interested)

We found an interesting problem. Upon reassembly we noticed that my intake was not lining up properly. While it will still bolt up properly, the injector bosses seem to be "cockeyed". I didn't notice this the first time around. The injector would actually miss the top of the cathedral port and partially spray the head deck ??? This would have certainly caused driveabilty issues to say the least. Recalling that these heads were milled
(in their past life), I can only surmise that it was enough to knock off the alignment. Makes sense but couldn't be sure.

This took awhile to figure out ( was it the wrong intake or what). Once established that my brand new Fast 102 intake was now useless & new heads are on the wish list .......... I just smiled. ANOTHER delay.

To save some cash & end up with better flowing system,. I'm utilizing a set of L92 ported heads (BTR springs) that were made available to me. I tried to purchase the new MSD Atomic Intake but it seems that the LS3 version is not available at this time. Some sort of RD to finish on the mass produced item. Alchemist is having great results on his prototype. Ill have to wait on that for now. A new Fast 102 intake for LS3 (in black) is on the way
(LS1/LS2 version up for sale soon).

Silver Lining: better flowing engine with LS3 components on it.

PS: I've also ordered a new crystal ball because my old one was predicting the wrong finish date for this project. Upon delivery of said device I will be sure to update.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Update: ( for anyone interested)

We found an interesting problem. Upon reassembly we noticed that my intake was not lining up properly. While it will still bolt up properly, the injector bosses seem to be "cockeyed". I didn't notice this the first time around. The injector would actually miss the top of the cathedral port and partially spray the head deck ??? This would have certainly caused driveabilty issues to say the least. Recalling that these heads were milled
(in their past life), I can only surmise that it was enough to knock off the alignment. Makes sense but couldn't be sure.

This took awhile to figure out ( was it the wrong intake or what). Once established that my brand new Fast 102 intake was now useless & new heads are on the wish list .......... I just smiled. ANOTHER delay.

To save some cash & end up with better flowing system,. I'm utilizing a set of L92 ported heads (BTR springs) that were made available to me. I tried to purchase the new MSD Atomic Intake but it seems that the LS3 version is not available at this time. Some sort of RD to finish on the mass produced item. Alchemist is having great results on his prototype. Ill have to wait on that for now. A new Fast 102 intake for LS3 (in black) is on the way
(LS1/LS2 version up for sale soon).

Silver Lining: better flowing engine with LS3 components on it.

PS: I've also ordered a new crystal ball because my old one was predicting the wrong finish date for this project. Upon delivery of said device I will be sure to update.

Crystal ***** aren't as good as what people make them out to be. You'll make a lot of power with these heads. Bob

Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the logistical issues.

I am very pleased with my MSD intake...
Old 10-29-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Crystal ***** aren't as good as what people make them out to be. You'll make a lot of power with these heads. Bob
Thanks Bob.
Flow rates are far better than I what I had before. It all works its way out for the better.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Sorry to hear about the logistical issues.

I am very pleased with my MSD intake...
Yah, its a nice looking piece as well. Preliminary results showed some nice gains.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New toys have arrived.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1446239368
Attached Thumbnails LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.-black-intake-fast.jpg  
Old 11-15-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Humpy dumpty is getting put back together again!

I didn't consider that my NW 96mm TB wouldn't fit on this LS3 style intake. I'm just full of smiles ! Waiting for the new 102mm to arrive.

A few notes so far:
- The Aster Bracket is a work of art. The fitment & craftsmanship is worth the money. I'm hoping it operates as good as it mounted & looks. ( I have no doubts).
- surprised to find that the L92 heads have only 2 steam vents ( rear & front). Shouldn't be an issue, at least it has the vents.
- the Fast intake looks wicked in black. ( anodized black TB on the way as well)

Delay, I broke the water pump pulley trying to move it forward 11/32" (as described for Astor Fitment). Is there a trick to this. I used a claw gear puller ( obviously a mistake).
Better yet:

BOB, if your out there "do you carry the water pump with the pulley already adjusted " ?..
Need one yesterday !
Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Humpy dumpty is getting put back together again!

I didn't consider that my NW 96mm TB wouldn't fit on this LS3 style intake. I'm just full of smiles ! Waiting for the new 102mm to arrive.

A few notes so far:
- The Aster Bracket is a work of art. The fitment & craftsmanship is worth the money. I'm hoping it operates as good as it mounted & looks. ( I have no doubts).
- surprised to find that the L92 heads have only 2 steam vents ( rear & front). Shouldn't be an issue, at least it has the vents.
- the Fast intake looks wicked in black. ( anodized black TB on the way as well)

Delay, I broke the water pump pulley trying to move it forward 11/32" (as described for Astor Fitment). Is there a trick to this. I used a claw gear puller ( obviously a mistake).
Better yet:

BOB, if your out there "do you carry the water pump with the pulley already adjusted " ?..
Need one yesterday !

I'm sorry but I don't have any in stock. Hopefully the info below will help you out. Thanks. Bob

This how how Chris moves the pulley on the pump.

"When I am pulling the pulleys on the water pumps I start with a large three jaw puller, a six or seven inch puller is best for getting a good grab on the pulley. I place a long pipe between two of the jaws for leverage and to keep the pulley from moving. With a breaker on the socket I do seven or eight quarter turns on the puller then usually have to loosen up and reposition jaws halfway between where they were resting before then tighten up and do another 8 or 9 quarter turns. Usually it breaks loose at that point, but every now and then one is stubborn and I have to reposition the jaws again just to minimize any flex in the pulley. Once it breaks lose it will begin to pull much easier. I pull the pulley forward so that the depth from the front face of the pulley sleeve to the top of the shaft gets to .24”. I usually go carefully here and check the depth regularly as you can’t push the pulley back on if you go too far without risking pushing the shaft out the back side of the pump."

Quick Reply: LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.