Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy72
When I see these builds, it pulls me toward the Procharger D1 or F1a and knowing most car guys, having reserve without sacrificing fun...

What made you choose the F1a?

Do you spray any Alky or Meth Mix? Just saw you are Forged ;-) Many stock internal builds use for safety in tune, detonation is the killer of Parts for sure...

Great Info & Build to learn from, so much knowledge around here!!
I chose the F1a because if I didn't ..... I would have constantly felt that I left something on the table ( just my personality). At the time when the decision was made I was coming off of my previous version of this project ( which was a small PD blower MP112). While it was tremendously fun and had great TQ in the low end, it was limited on power and wasn't capable of anything more than 9.5 - 10 lbs. A larger PD blower wasn't an option as it would result in major modification to fit under the hood. After speaking with many people ( and getting great advice from this forum) I knew I wanted a ProCharger. The decision to go FIa instead of a D1 was based on the relatively small variance in price for what could be something that I may have options to expand & grow into later. The PD blower experience made me very aware of efficiency, IATs & basic power potential. The last thing I wanted was to be " out of blower" again. Chasing smaller pulleys & battling belt slip. The FIa gear box ratio allows for more impeller RPM at lower engine RPM ( allowing a larger head unit pulley) less likelyhood to slip the belt. All of this along with a large air to air Intercooler made me feel warm & fuzzy to have a system that would allow low IATs & more power than I need.

The intention of this project was to make sure I didn't give up low end ( under the curve) power that I had before. So ... Wastegate project was born of my paranoia as I listened to the retoric that " ProChargers are good on top ... But are a little lacking down low". Needless to say ( at this power level) this is the furthest from the truth. Plenty of power from bottom to top. I'm sure if a person was limiting themselves to lower boost levels ( to preserve a stock bottom end) then that rule of thumb may apply. Possibly when peak boost levels are needed to be kept at bay ( say 7-8 lbs) ... Then the wastegated system may make a little sense.

Finally, yes ... I spray meth/water mixture for safety. We did not tune for it ( or at least didn't push excessive timing to gain power). No matter how you cut it, a cooler combustion chamber is a happier combustion chamber. I didnt want to go through this build again ! A little prevention against pre detination goes along way.

Sorry so long. Hope it helps.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitr0mm, thanks for the response and you touched on many things I didn't take into consideration, the faster impeller speeds & step up ratio make for using a larger pulley and having more belt grip.

I am tossing up the PD, hood clearance isn't really an issue, since my 2014 LS actually L99 motor going into a 72 Monte will have enough hood clearance, yet for now my stock bottom end simply wouldn't like the low end torque with stock rods and pistons, the ability to allow some rpm helps the motor and mid to upper power levels...

I am using Holley EFi to control both the trans 4l80 & Motor, works well and it gaining popularity for boosted applications, yet isn't the cheapest.. also planning to use Meth or Alky injection, I have some Boost Juice from my diesel setups from Snow Performance, not familiar with others.. I'd like to see in the mid 600 WHP and with at stock bottom end that should survive for a while, I know the I will need to get a rotating assembly or built short block ready...
Gearing is another, I'm planning 28 inch tall tire, yet my 3.89 gear with Truetrac should be ok, since I want to drag race this once in a while too, mostly fun street car, 3600 stall billet converter....
I like the KB & Whipple SC, yet the Procharger D1sc or F1a allows for more control over A2W extreme cooling system, and I really like not having to deal with oil lines.

Thanks, Great build and learn more with all the wisdom around this forum... Great Builders and Fabricators around here.

Also knowing I will want more power, I like the F1 Blowers
Old 06-11-2017, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever get the new injectors in and re-dyno? Would you happen to know what you a/f ratio was after 5000rpm?
How much timing?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Husker98
Ever get the new injectors in and re-dyno? Would you happen to know what you a/f ratio was after 5000rpm?
How much timing?
Sorry for delay in response.

We did get the new injectors in. The AFR stayed @ 11.5 @ 14*.
Oddly enough the HP/TQ #'s weren't too much higher.

BAD NEWS: we pushed the rear main seal on that run.
- checked the catch can system, replaced the seal & pushed it again.
- leak down test showed too much blow by.
- I didn't want a vacuum pump
It was fine during the breakin period for the clutch, it just couldnt contain the 15lbs boost.
- My worst nightmare (as it pertains to this saga). motor came out again !!

I decided to put this short block aside & we built a stroked LS3 416.
It just went in last week & on the Dyno yesterday.
I will post up Dyno results & build info in a separate thread later today.
Needless to say I am happy with the results.

Just like life, full of turns, ups & downs but it always works out as it should in the end.

SILVER LINING to this cloud:
I have a blown 416 ...... holy **** !!!! Let the fun begin !
( guaranteed this is not over).
Old 09-05-2017, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice build. Any particular reason your giving up on the ls2 combo and going a different route?

What's making you not wanna use a vac pump setup?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my blown 416... the mid range pull is amazing.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Nice build. Any particular reason your giving up on the ls2 combo and going a different route?

What's making you not wanna use a vac pump setup?
I had an opportunity to get the LS3 block & have always wanted big cubes.
Multiple reasons added to the decision .... but the top of the list was: to do it right would have meant breaking down the freshly built LS2 & do it again.
I wanted the stroker & figured if I have to go tnrough all of that trouble I'm better off selling the LS2 short block (it's a fresh motor & would probably be great for a NA build, it just couldn't hold the 17lbs I was throwing at it ).

After seeing the results from Alchemists build I said, if I ever have the opportunity to go that route I would. As luck would happen that opportunity presented itself. LOL.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I love my blown 416... the mid range pull is amazing.
Yours was the inspiration to go this route. I appreciate your input over the years. Checkout the new build if your interested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-fun-2-o.html

Quick Reply: LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.