Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015 | 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All back together again .... First start up.
This time it was a great success. Other than me spilling anti freeze on the floor , we had no leaks & all systems are operating.
Open headers & chopping at 650 RPM. Holly system learning as it goes & my good friend Anthony @ Real World Horsepower is working his magic.
As usual the devil is in the details .... A long list left to piece this back together but I am really excited to have this finally moving forward.
PS: sounds wicked ( live & in person).
Attached Files
Old 12-05-2015 | 10:32 AM
8 Second Club

Congrats
Old 12-05-2015 | 12:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Good job... it's a great feeling.
Old 12-05-2015 | 12:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

What pulley did you end up going with on the head unit?
Old 12-05-2015 | 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

7.55" crank & 3.6" on blower. 74,000 @ 6500.
Plan on wastegating at 15lbs or so.
After hearing your results I don't expect to get past 5k.
If the power curve is uncontrollable, the wastegate comes off & a larger pulley goes on.
Old 12-05-2015 | 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Big thanks to Bob (Brute Speed) & Chris for getting me the Astor bracket & water pump quickly in an effort to get this together.
Without those parts .... this pulley configuration would never work.
Old 12-05-2015 | 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Big thanks to Bob (Brute Speed) & Chris for getting me the Astor bracket & water pump quickly in an effort to get this together.
Without those parts .... this pulley configuration would never work.
You are welcome Patrick, thanks and congratulations!!! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-06-2015 | 08:16 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

7.55" crank & 3.6" on blower. 74,000 @ 6500.
Plan on wastegating at 15lbs or so.
After hearing your results I don't expect to get past 5k.
If the power curve is uncontrollable, the wastegate comes off & a larger pulley goes on.
7.55" or 7.65"? Yeah, if my setup is any indication, you're going to have one hell of a fun ride on your hands. Did you ever change the rear gear ratio?
Old 12-06-2015 | 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2015 | 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
7.55" or 7.65"? Yeah, if my setup is any indication, you're going to have one hell of a fun ride on your hands. Did you ever change the rear gear ratio?
Don't laugh ..... No.
What do you suggest ?
With the 4:10's I'm going to own a very expensive huvver craft.
Fun for a minute, but probably like driving on ice.

The school of thought is that a Procharger makes power up top so the high gears can be beneficial. But this build is a little different. 373's ? Lower ?
I'm thinking that if I intend to get out of it early the 4:10's nolonger make sense. Probably want to keep it in the sweet spot longer.
Old 12-08-2015 | 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Don't laugh ..... No.
What do you suggest ?
With the 4:10's I'm going to own a very expensive huvver craft.
Fun for a minute, but probably like driving on ice.

The school of thought is that a Procharger makes power up top so the high gears can be beneficial. But this build is a little different. 373's ? Lower ?
I'm thinking that if I intend to get out of it early the 4:10's nolonger make sense. Probably want to keep it in the sweet spot longer.
A ratio in the 3.70 range should work really well with your combination. Bob

Old 12-08-2015 | 06:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I have 3.42s and love them. I never find myself wanting for a shorter gear. The car makes 5psi of boost at 3000rpm, which is good for north of 600ft/lbs of torque, so it's not like it's a dog off the line or soft down low.
Old 12-08-2015 | 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill add this to my wish list ....
Thats big power, if my build is just a shadow of yours I think I'll be satisfied.
Old 01-09-2016 | 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still piecing it back together but in this clip the exhaust is on & we are 90% there !
Still need to tune, wrap up the dash cluster/ gauges & Holly screen, wire & mount the Bi Hexion head lights ( still have old ones in now) a few more details but it's progress.

I'm thrilled with the sound of the blow off valve, this centri it's all new to me. At idle it sounds like a jet & blows like a leaf blower. The blow off between revs is an addicting sound !!!

I'll do a detailed review of the Kooks TD once it's rolling .... But I can tell you that there is nothing subtle or quite about this system. Not obnoxious by any standards & sounds amazing in its stock format. I can not yet speak to what it sounds like while driving, just idle a few low rpm revs.
Attached Files
Old 01-09-2016 | 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

This thing is going to be wild! love it
Old 03-05-2016 | 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So close I can taste it !
It's all buttoned up & down at the body shop for a little work, suspension & alignment. (so far off it was not drivable for any real length of time or distance). Had it on the rollers for drivability tune ..... Felt great ! The temps, fluids & boost held nicely. It has a conservative tune & just about ready to roll.
While the interior ( dash/ gauges) are not finalized we have the touch screen hooked up & it's amazing. The virtual gauges seem like you can reach out & touch them. I'm about a week out before the rubber meets the road.
Video link below shows off the exhaust & symphony of Procharger sounds ! My reaction mid way through was due the obnoxious decibel level from the tail pipes.
I take back what I said before ... This is crazy Loud ..... I love it ...... But definitely a "thousand demons escaping hell " loud. The tone is amazing, idle has nice chop & the blowoff had people in the surrounding bays coming out to see what that was.
This is gonna be fun !!

The hardest task is yet to come .... Breaking in the clutch
( no WOT or hard shifting for 500 miles).
Attached Files
Old 03-07-2016 | 06:37 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Amazing build... enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2016 | 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

How did this turn out, updates?
Old 11-19-2016 | 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm loving it !!
Finally I'm in " clutch break in mode".
It's been a few weeks & this is has been a tremendous amount of fun so far. We are working through many bugs ( after the car was down for a few years). Little things like window switches & minor electrical issues & adjustments.
Overall, it did turn out to be "my own private roller coaster" !

I'll start off with the exhaust. After much modification to the Kooks TD, I ended up with magnaflow oval mufflers on this beast. Now it sounds like a civilized barbarian ( almost).
I have a detailed review over in the Gen IV External section "Anybody Modify a Kooks TD".
I can go on for pages re: the details. At the end of the day, on my set up, the Kooks TD was way too obnoxious. I toned it down & it now has a great tone while keeping unrestricted & great performance.

I'm amazed with this ProCharger. It's everything it's promised to be ! I'm most impressed with the power delivery. It's precise, consistent & never ending ! Coming from a small PD blower ( on its previous life) this system is a bit different. My concern was low end TQ.
I NO LONGER HAVE CONCERNS. Granted, I've pullied the set up down to create the curve to start earlier so that address's the issue. I have a sinking suspicion that I didn't need to do that. With that said, I'm completely satisfied & love the power delivery. It's not violent .... It seems to roll in quickly .... But not like a hammer. The boost (& TQ that comes with it) is INSTANT. I'm mean, all I do is think about accelerating & I'm off.
Keep in mind everything I'm saying here is limited to a few short 1/2 or 3/4 throttle bursts & keeping it under 4-5 lbs while breaking in the clutch. I got restless the other day & let it hit 9 lbs ( blew open the waste gate ). It felt insane. I also had concerns with my relatively low compression. It doesn't seem to be an issue. It's not sluggish or non responsive in any way. I did opt for a -6lb Spring in the Tial BOV. It closes a bit quicker & that results my being on the blower as while I am still pulling vac. That probably has something to do with it ( if my understanding is correct).
Note: the BOV is still wide open at idle & function exactly as it should when coming off boost. No compressor surge.

I can say this without a doubt " my neighbors hate me ", small children & old people cry when I I drive past & Prius owner frown at the spectacle of sights & sounds.

This thing is obnoxious. The BOV is menacing ! Idle is fine, crusing in vac sounds like a Cat4 hurricane & between shifts, literally makes people nervous when they are beside me.
I love it !!!! I did however, baffle the area around the BOV. This toned it down a bit & made it less violent. In addition, the -6 lb spring allows me to accelerate ( just a hair) and The BOV closes. In essence I can control it if I need to quite things down pulling out of the neighborhood or if I don't want to remind Father Flanigan that a demon resides beneath the hood.

I'm working on cosmetics as a never ending project. The digital dash was a little challenging but looks & works great. The suspension feels like I'm riding on rails. Hard as a rock ... But tight & precise. With the limited amount of power that I've fed it so far ... It hooks nicely & stays sure footed ( that will change). I will have to address my gearing at some point ... For now I'm leaving it alone.

So... Breaking in the clutch is something I'm not going to rush. I've vowed not to push it until she's broken in. This is a similar vow that I took last time I woke up with a hangover & promised not to drink like that anymore. I'll do my best. I can say this the McLeod RXT is also everything that it is promised to be. Smooth as silk & stock like feel. The Hinson shifter is amazing. Tight like a light switch & notchy enough to feel every positive position.

For now I'm ironing out the little details. Letting the Holly learn what it can and having fun putting a few miles on this beast when ever I can.
Old 11-19-2016 | 07:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

I'm loving it !!
Finally I'm in " clutch break in mode".
It's been a few weeks & this is has been a tremendous amount of fun so far. We are working through many bugs ( after the car was down for a few years). Little things like window switches & minor electrical issues & adjustments.
Overall, it did turn out to be "my own private roller coaster" !

I'll start off with the exhaust. After much modification to the Kooks TD, I ended up with magnaflow oval mufflers on this beast. Now it sounds like a civilized barbarian ( almost).
I have a detailed review over in the Gen IV External section "Anybody Modify a Kooks TD".
I can go on for pages re: the details. At the end of the day, on my set up, the Kooks TD was way too obnoxious. I toned it down & it now has a great tone while keeping unrestricted & great performance.

I'm amazed with this ProCharger. It's everything it's promised to be ! I'm most impressed with the power delivery. It's precise, consistent & never ending ! Coming from a small PD blower ( on its previous life) this system is a bit different. My concern was low end TQ.
I NO LONGER HAVE CONCERNS. Granted, I've pullied the set up down to create the curve to start earlier so that address's the issue. I have a sinking suspicion that I didn't need to do that. With that said, I'm completely satisfied & love the power delivery. It's not violent .... It seems to roll in quickly .... But not like a hammer. The boost (& TQ that comes with it) is INSTANT. I'm mean, all I do is think about accelerating & I'm off.
Keep in mind everything I'm saying here is limited to a few short 1/2 or 3/4 throttle bursts & keeping it under 4-5 lbs while breaking in the clutch. I got restless the other day & let it hit 9 lbs ( blew open the waste gate ). It felt insane. I also had concerns with my relatively low compression. It doesn't seem to be an issue. It's not sluggish or non responsive in any way. I did opt for a -6lb Spring in the Tial BOV. It closes a bit quicker & that results my being on the blower as while I am still pulling vac. That probably has something to do with it ( if my understanding is correct).
Note: the BOV is still wide open at idle & function exactly as it should when coming off boost. No compressor surge.

I can say this without a doubt " my neighbors hate me ", small children & old people cry when I I drive past & Prius owner frown at the spectacle of sights & sounds.

This thing is obnoxious. The BOV is menacing ! Idle is fine, crusing in vac sounds like a Cat4 hurricane & between shifts, literally makes people nervous when they are beside me.
I love it !!!! I did however, baffle the area around the BOV. This toned it down a bit & made it less violent. In addition, the -6 lb spring allows me to accelerate ( just a hair) and The BOV closes. In essence I can control it if I need to quite things down pulling out of the neighborhood or if I don't want to remind Father Flanigan that a demon resides beneath the hood.

I'm working on cosmetics as a never ending project. The digital dash was a little challenging but looks & works great. The suspension feels like I'm riding on rails. Hard as a rock ... But tight & precise. With the limited amount of power that I've fed it so far ... It hooks nicely & stays sure footed ( that will change). I will have to address my gearing at some point ... For now I'm leaving it alone.

So... Breaking in the clutch is something I'm not going to rush. I've vowed not to push it until she's broken in. This is a similar vow that I took last time I woke up with a hangover & promised not to drink like that anymore. I'll do my best. I can say this the McLeod RXT is also everything that it is promised to be. Smooth as silk & stock like feel. The Hinson shifter is amazing. Tight like a light switch & notchy enough to feel every positive position.

For now I'm ironing out the little details. Letting the Holly learn what it can and having fun putting a few miles on this beast when ever I can.

That's good! lol Bob

Quick Reply: LS2 F1A new build. Let the fun begin.