Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger Truck Hat Users HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger Truck Hat Users HELP!!!!

As the title says I need help with my Procharger Truck Hat installation. I have a 02 ta with Procharger F1A with stock rad and procharger shroud and Spal 9" an 16" fans.

With rad in the factory location in the front rad support I can't get the truck hat on the supercharger. The hat is tight up against the procharger fan shround. Anyone have any ideas.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-01-2015, 02:14 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

You might need to just give up and move the radiator.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002gt
I would go to turboguard.com and order a screen and scrap the hat
Old 01-01-2015, 04:54 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish I could help, because I'm going to be doing the same exact thing. What about cutting out a spot there in the radiator fan shroud for the hat to sit there? I think I'm going to try that.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Simple fix, trim about 1/2 inch off where it connects to the procharger. I just went through all this about 2 months ago! I used a pair of Wiss Aviation snips, I think that was the name. Use whatever you got to trim it down and tighten it down with a T-Bar clamp.

Clamp size is 4.25 or so, Vibrant Performance. The 4.05 size will be too small!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A belt sander would make quick work of trimming it down and it would be a straight cut all the way around.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Wish I could help, because I'm going to be doing the same exact thing. What about cutting out a spot there in the radiator fan shroud for the hat to sit there? I think I'm going to try that.
This is exactly what I did when I had an F1a on my car. I ran into the same problem. I removed the fan shroud and used a die grinder to cut a square out of the shroud so that the hat would clear. Chances are u will have to cut and reinstall the shroud a couple of times to get it perfect. I wanted to leave as much of the shroud intact as possible.

I then came to realize that the hat also contacted the lower radiator support in that same area so I used a grinder to clearance the support where the hat was contacting it. With a little trimming it will fit in there but it is very tight.

James.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
Simple fix, trim about 1/2 inch off where it connects to the procharger. I just went through all this about 2 months ago! I used a pair of Wiss Aviation snips, I think that was the name. Use whatever you got to trim it down and tighten it down with a T-Bar clamp.

Clamp size is 4.25 or so, Vibrant Performance. The 4.05 size will be too small!
That is a good idea. So when you trimmed off 1/2" where you still able to use the metal ring in the inside.

2002gt.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

That is a good idea. So when you trimmed off 1/2" where you still able to use the metal ring in the inside.

2002gt.
You want to remove that metal ring regardless. There is no way it will fit on the blower with that ring in place. Even after removing it i had to cut a slit in the hat so that it would fit onto the inlet. Used a t bolt clamp to secure it once i finally got it on there.

James
Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

2002gt.
I've got the F1A, don't think you use it with that blower.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The metal ring has to be removed regardless if it is a D-1SC or an F-1A. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

you l;ose boost running any kind of filter so why not just run a screen? I am mostly race only so maybe if you are street driving it a lot then filter is a good idea.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Guys have dyno proven that the hat + big filter makes just as much power as nothing on the blower. The guy I bought my F1-A dyno tested it and saw no improvement dropping the truck inlet and filter off the blower. Guys have also seen the screens being a major restriction as well and have lost power.

Think about it, the inlet is pulling air, and if the entrance is turbulent, you won't make as much power as you would with a smooth entry into the blower. The inlet hat allows the air to smoothly transition into the blower better than not having anything on it.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Guys have dyno proven that the hat + big filter makes just as much power as nothing on the blower. The guy I bought my F1-A dyno tested it and saw no improvement dropping the truck inlet and filter off the blower. Guys have also seen the screens being a major restriction as well and have lost power.

Think about it, the inlet is pulling air, and if the entrance is turbulent, you won't make as much power as you would with a smooth entry into the blower. The inlet hat allows the air to smoothly transition into the blower better than not having anything on it.
Good point and it is way to dusty where I live to run no air filter. My car is a summer time cruiser and not a drag car. Seems like notching the fan shroud might be the easiest after all.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

I understand completely what you are saying however if it was completely true, then would outlaw 10.5 outlaw dr and x275 be not running a filter? Why would they have rules saying to bumper exit for the blower in Ultra?

I took my hat off and picked up 1.5 psi of boost on my F1C. and 28 rwhp
Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blklsxws6
This is exactly what I did when I had an F1a on my car. I ran into the same problem. I removed the fan shroud and used a die grinder to cut a square out of the shroud so that the hat would clear. Chances are u will have to cut and reinstall the shroud a couple of times to get it perfect. I wanted to leave as much of the shroud intact as possible.

I then came to realize that the hat also contacted the lower radiator support in that same area so I used a grinder to clearance the support where the hat was contacting it. With a little trimming it will fit in there but it is very tight.

James.
Perfect timing guys, I'm in the middle of the exact issue myself. I contemplated ditching the shroud .... But I don't think that is a viable solution. A little more modification and we should be there.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by scottywheels
I understand completely what you are saying however if it was completely true, then would outlaw 10.5 outlaw dr and x275 be not running a filter? Why would they have rules saying to bumper exit for the blower in Ultra?

I took my hat off and picked up 1.5 psi of boost on my F1C. and 28 rwhp

All of the guys who aren't running an inlet or filter, are running a bell of some sort on the front of the blower to smooth out the air inlet. In that case, yes, it would probably make more power. But those mesh screens are really bad, I've seen guys lose a lot of power with them compared to a tube and filter.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

All of the guys who aren't running an inlet or filter, are running a bell of some sort on the front of the blower to smooth out the air inlet. In that case, yes, it would probably make more power. But those mesh screens are really bad, I've seen guys lose a lot of power with them compared to a tube and filter.
I will dyno with and without the screen and go to the Steve Morrison bell if I have to
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scottywheels
I will dyno with and without the screen and go to the Steve Morrison bell if I have to

ProCharger has new ones coming out as well. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Procharger Truck Hat Users HELP!!!!