Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are my heads the best option??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are my heads the best option??

Well I am building a turbo 5.3L ...I started off planning on just 6-700 hp but now I have basically went all out on EVERYTHING. My goal now is 1000hp. IM wondering if there is a better option of heads? not even sure if i could send these back anyway. Im really leaning towards a set of AFR 205cc heads. Hoping to get the job done with least amount of boost as possible, and the extra deck surface makes me feel better. This is my build thread. Current heads are PRC ls6 stage 2.5 with 65cc combustion chamber.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ld-thread.html

Last edited by josh4ku; 01-18-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're a solid cylinder head that will help make more power on less boost - meaning they're less of a restriction. Just turn up the boost to shoot for your goal and hope the heads stay down!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Photochop
They're a solid cylinder head that will help make more power on less boost - meaning they're less of a restriction. Just turn up the boost to shoot for your goal and hope the heads stay down!
I've heard aftermarket castings have more surface area to help keep things sealed.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

More power has been made on stock unported heads. Are yours the absolute best option? Probably not, but they're more than enough to get the job done.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input guys
Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Hahaha.. Josh, you and I have both experienced "Mission creep" it appears. I was just going to use my JY 5.3 as is while my built LT1 boost motor was being refreshed after 6 yrs of active duty shaming GT500's, EVO's, etc. But then I read about head studs, so I asked the machinist to do those. Then I read about the early rods(my 5.3 is from a 2000 Silverado) being less strong than the 2005+, so I asked the machinist to do those. He said "Well by the time I put in ARP rod bolts and have the rods resized, you're almost at a price point of some decent rods". So I got the Callies Compstar H beams. Then, he said the pistons were "okay"... but he could get some forged Wiseco for x amount. So I got those, then the cam, then the LS9 timing cover, the better oil pump, rings regapped, cam degreed, on and on,.. Hahaha... Ah well. Our motors should be pretty amazing once all is said and done. Best of luck to you on your build!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're not the best option, but they're more than adequate.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Hahaha.. Josh, you and I have both experienced "Mission creep" it appears. I was just going to use my JY 5.3 as is while my built LT1 boost motor was being refreshed after 6 yrs of active duty shaming GT500's, EVO's, etc. But then I read about head studs, so I asked the machinist to do those. Then I read about the early rods(my 5.3 is from a 2000 Silverado) being less strong than the 2005+, so I asked the machinist to do those. He said "Well by the time I put in ARP rod bolts and have the rods resized, you're almost at a price point of some decent rods". So I got the Callies Compstar H beams. Then, he said the pistons were "okay"... but he could get some forged Wiseco for x amount. So I got those, then the cam, then the LS9 timing cover, the better oil pump, rings regapped, cam degreed, on and on,.. Hahaha... Ah well. Our motors should be pretty amazing once all is said and done. Best of luck to you on your build!
Loll lol! That's exactly what happens!!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I've heard aftermarket castings have more surface area to help keep things sealed.
That is true, but the heads you have don't have the thicker head decks. Either way, I'd run them. Like others have said, they are ported so they are going to flow more air than a non ported stock head, so it will take less boost to reach your power level.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Let me reword this a bit. What is the best head for this setup?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless you're really wanting to spend some money on the heads, what you have will work out just fine. You have to remember, on a FI setup, you don't need the best flowing CNC'd heads out there. Take a look at other guys on here making 700+ HP. Most of those guys are running stock 317 castings.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Unless you're really wanting to spend some money on the heads, what you have will work out just fine. You have to remember, on a FI setup, you don't need the best flowing CNC'd heads out there. Take a look at other guys on here making 700+ HP. Most of those guys are running stock 317 castings.
True!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the real benefit of running an aftermarket casting on a turbo setup is the extra thick head deck that most offer. Something like TFS, AFR, or MAST heads would be great, as they flow a **** ton of air and have thicker head deck surface, but unless you're going to making north of 1,000 rwhp, I'd just stick to what you have. If you're not happy with the numbers, you can always turn the boost up.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I think the real benefit of running an aftermarket casting on a turbo setup is the extra thick head deck that most offer. Something like TFS, AFR, or MAST heads would be great, as they flow a **** ton of air and have thicker head deck surface, but unless you're going to making north of 1,000 rwhp, I'd just stick to what you have. If you're not happy with the numbers, you can always turn the boost up.
That's really the main thing I was thinking. Is the thicker deck. But probably just stick with what I have
Old 01-18-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I am leaning toward getting rid of my PRC heads and going with a set of Trick flow 205 heads. How much will I benefit from these heads? Is the extra deck surface a big deal or minimal? I just want to hit my goals with the least amount of boost as possible, and I know its going to take a lot of boost with this little 5.3L

Last edited by josh4ku; 01-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Are my heads the best option??