Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Racelogic traction control review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Racelogic traction control review

Hello all,

When I was reviewing this TC unit a few months ago I couldn't find much on it, especially on a turbocharged car at my power level. I got a good deal on a used controller from a member recently and just got it running. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I realize traction control isn't for everyone, but for a street car on all different conditions of streets, it works pretty well. It's considerably more effective than my efforts at boost by gear. I'm also hoping this will let me get more than 9 months out of a set of ET Streets. My tires are about done so I thought I'd throw together a quick video before replacing them. This is on 7psi which is probably somewhere in the 550-600 rwhp range.

The launch control is really meant for a manual car, but I just set it below my stall speed and it works well. I can only get a few psi out of it because I have it set at only 2200 rpms. Anything more than that and the rear tires start to get overpowered because my converter is really tight.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's something like this cost?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Does this version work via engine vs driveshaft rpm read by a sensor on the rearend yoke?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

The system is pretty spendy at anywhere between $1200-1700 depending on how you option it. I partially justified the cost by slowing my consumption of $600 drag radials.

The system works by measuring wheel speed and dropping individual cylinders to reduce power until slip is no longer detected. It can be setup as a 3 or 4 channel system. My car has aftermarket spindles which came with C5 Corvette wheel speed sensors for the front, and I used the speed output sensor from my 4l80e for the rear. If you have a car with 4 passive style wheel speed sensors you can just tap into those.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
Does this version work via engine vs driveshaft rpm read by a sensor on the rearend yoke?

Racelogic references undriven wheel speed vs driven wheel speed and works of actual slip targets.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...l#how-it-works
Old 03-23-2015, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

How many times per second does it sample?
I know the Davis traction control is 3x that much but works very well.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
How many times per second does it sample?
I know the Davis traction control is 3x that much but works very well.
I couldn't find an exact answer to your question. The only thing they have listed in their manual is that it samples at 244 times per second for datalogging.

I must admit, I don't know a lot about the Davis TC, but it appeared to be more of a straight line thing. I'm as concerned about going around corners and with this unit I can literally hold my foot to the floor and make a U-turn under boost and the back won't step out.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 AM
9 Second Club

As above, the RL has been around for a very long time, and gives the driver a simple switch depending on the level of slip they wish to retain.

This means it can be idiot proof safe, or allow enough slip for the driver to have some fun and slide the car about.

It has been well proven over many many years, well before Davis even existed

That isnt to say Davis isnt very good at what it does to, as clearly it is. But as to how it would cope with varying driving styles and situations as well as differing traction from road to road...I just cant see how it would do it.
Everything they list seems essentially straight line only.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit; answered my own question.

Looks like a good product.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...on-control#usa
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've thought about this over the years, even on just a NA application. I was never clear on how easy it is to implement on a 4th Gen Fbody. I also read some concerns that dropping spark wasn't ideal.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've thought about this over the years, even on just a NA application. I was never clear on how easy it is to implement on a 4th Gen Fbody. I also read some concerns that dropping spark wasn't ideal.
Again it's a fully tired/tested/proven system

There are no issues with dropping fuel vs spark. And certainly in modern cars with catalytic convertors, you must drop fuel otherwise you'd be dumping raw fuel into the car which would soon destroy it.

It's little different to an rpm limit on any modern car, they all cut fuel.

It isnt a cheap system, but it is designed to be largely idiot proof once installed and simple for the driver to make use of.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

It doesn't drop spark, it drops an injector at a time to reduce power. It drops it for one complete cycle, so there isn't a lean issue - one cylinder simply takes a gulp of air for one cycle. It will drop multiple cylinders at a time if that much power reduction is needed. For that reason a methanol kit really shouldn't be used. I spoke w/Julio at Alky Control about it and he didn't seem to think there would be enough methanol to even light off if the injector stopped supplementing fuel, but I still didn't feel good about it and just removed my meth kit since I'm on E85 anyway.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Here are two videos I made of my Camaro and in them you can hear the Racelogic doing it's thing. I installed it a few months back and had to makeshift front wheel speed sensors that read off of the rotor since I have aftermarket spindles but it works well. With a stalled automatic it can be a bit finicky with effects of a torque converter in the mix and needs adjusting from the stock cut levels but it works well.

TC testing

Half mile event with TC on except for 2 races
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you post some under hood pics? The rear of the car looks good from the video.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94 slow
Can you post some under hood pics? The rear of the car looks good from the video.

Last edited by tiznodd; 10-29-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NicD
Here are two videos I made of my Camaro and in them you can hear the Racelogic doing it's thing. I installed it a few months back and had to makeshift front wheel speed sensors that read off of the rotor since I have aftermarket spindles but it works well. With a stalled automatic it can be a bit finicky with effects of a torque converter in the mix and needs adjusting from the stock cut levels but it works well.

TC testing

Half mile event with TC on except for 2 races
Great videos! I lol'd so hard at the outside shot of your car with your buddies just going nuts. So damn funny.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Can you give me an overview of the installation process on a 4th gen with ABS and stock spindles? I guess technically they are modified stock spindles to use a C6 brake kit.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

You can also install it using the stock 4th gen ABS wheel speed sensors. All that's required is to splice into the ABS harness to get the wheel speed sensor signal and install the RaceLogic harness using 10k ohm resistors on each of the wheel speed signal wires. The RaceLogic software can be configured to use whatever pulses per revolution the wheel sensor creates. For the stock 3 channel ABS, it's 47 pulses per revolution on the front, 106 pulses per revolution on the rear.

The install manual and software can be downloaded from their website: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...action-control
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Can you give me an overview of the installation process on a 4th gen with ABS and stock spindles? I guess technically they are modified stock spindles to use a C6 brake kit.
I have aftermarket spindles up front so I had to makeshift some wheel speed sensors to pickup off the rotor slots. Otherwise it's just splicing into the ABS wiring.

Originally Posted by ozws6
All that's required is to splice into the ABS harness to get the wheel speed sensor signal and install the RaceLogic harness using 10k ohm resistors on each of the wheel speed signal wires.
Why did you need to use resistors? I didn't and the factory type ABS sensors read just fine with no problems.

Quick Reply: Racelogic traction control review