Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about wastegate vacuum..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about wastegate vacuum..

Long story shirt. First turbo build just completed. Car had some issues with the computer so I had it re pinned to the 99-02. I never knew that their had to be a vacuum source running to the gate until last night. I've read most threads I could find on it today but still have a couple questions..

What does the vacuum line do? I thought the gate just simply released pressure when it hit X amount. Secondly, when i picked the car up last week, the turbo was spinning slower than I imagined it would and even when revved up to around 2500, I never heard the slightest sound coming from it. Would this be the cause? Turbo is a GT45, Emusa BOV and gate.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wastegate has to have a reference or it wont know what pressure to keep. And i can rev my car to 5000 and it wont spool at all. Thats becuase you are not producing a load to produce heat to spool the turbo. some one correct me if im wrong about the wastegate and other stuff cause im defiantly still learning also.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topgun542
The wastegate has to have a reference or it wont know what pressure to keep. And i can rev my car to 5000 and it wont spool at all. Thats becuase you are not producing a load to produce heat to spool the turbo. some one correct me if im wrong about the wastegate and other stuff cause im defiantly still learning also.
I got ya. I got a vacuum block on car, I'll tie it in. Does the pressure basically keep the gate shut before spring pressure takes over?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Long story shirt. First turbo build just completed. Car had some issues with the computer so I had it re pinned to the 99-02. I never knew that their had to be a vacuum source running to the gate until last night. I've read most threads I could find on it today but still have a couple questions..

What does the vacuum line do? I thought the gate just simply released pressure when it hit X amount. Secondly, when i picked the car up last week, the turbo was spinning slower than I imagined it would and even when revved up to around 2500, I never heard the slightest sound coming from it. Would this be the cause? Turbo is a GT45, Emusa BOV and gate.
There doesnt. Only some modern diesels use vacuum to control the wastegate.

Your car will use positive pressure, ie. boost to control the wastegate.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/technic...astegate-work/

And just exactly how are you determining how fast is is spinning, and what noises exactly are you expecting it to make ?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There doesnt. Only some modern diesels use vacuum to control the wastegate.

Your car will use positive pressure, ie. boost to control the wastegate.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/technic...astegate-work/

And just exactly how are you determining how fast is is spinning, and what noises exactly are you expecting it to make ?
Like I said, first turbo build. Only turbo cars I've even been around is outlaw cars. It seems though that lots of videos I've watched you can hear the turbo on a rev. I've yet to hear mine. I found the port on my gate to tie it into the vacuum block.

It's still a constant learning process and sometimes even after long reads, your questions still aren't answered. I'll read the link you posted when I get time. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Your gonna need to tie your wastegate in before the throttle body. ideally near the compressor housing.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your gonna need to tie your wastegate in before the throttle body. ideally near the compressor housing.
Their is no port of my housing I don't believe. Do people drill and tap or what? Without going and uncovering the car, I can't think of any ports in front of the throttle body.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, drill and tap the compressor housing for a pressure reference.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ideally, your waste gate should only ever see positive pressure (boost). You can drill and tap your compressor housing or do the same thing with the intake tube pre-throttle body (most likely would have to have a bung welded on as the tubes are thin). Both of those areas see boost and not vacuum.

I emailed Turbosmart and they told me if I cannot use the compressor housing, to use the intake tube pre-throttle body but it should be pressure only.

There are also silicone couplers that have ports in them and I have also seen an "add a port" but I don't remember who made it.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

If you cant do compressor housing. Here what i did. i Just drilled a hole and welded in a nipple fitting literally an inch from the vband compressor housing. Same as having it in the housing but didnt touch my turbo.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

The wastegate has to have a reference or it wont know what pressure to keep. And i can rev my car to 5000 and it wont spool at all. Thats becuase you are not producing a load to produce exhaust volume to spool the turbo. some one correct me if im wrong about the wastegate and other stuff cause im defiantly still learning also.
I fixed it for you.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you cant do compressor housing. Here what i did. i Just drilled a hole and welded in a nipple fitting literally an inch from the vband compressor housing. Same as having it in the housing but didnt touch my turbo.
You wouldn't by chance e able to take a pic could you? I have no way of welding a bung in the charge pipe since it aluminum. I could weld a fitting on the turbo though. Just trying to be sure I
Am thinking the same spot you have tapped
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

You can see the boost reference barb on my compressor housing.
Attached Thumbnails Question about wastegate vacuum..-turbo-6.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again guys. The guy who repinned my car said to use the port on the bottom side of the throttle body, drivers side. Is their a problem with this?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SM105K
I fixed it for you.
My bad.... lol late nights...

Quick Reply: Question about wastegate vacuum..