Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

first drive: things went great, then oil psi issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first drive: things went great, then oil psi issues

02 camaro, 5.3 with a supposed 90k on it, ls6 cam, 4l60e, (used) melling oil pump, ls7 lifters, ls9 gaskets, stock 5.3 heads, blah blah blah

Just took the car on a 10 mile drive - first time driving more than 100ft on this build:

Oil psi was great when I started. After a few minutes I did a couple quick pulls, after the third pull, I noticed that the oil PSI was well under 20psi at 2500ish rpm, and it would not increase with rpm changes, so I pulled the car over and shut it down.

After waiting a couple minutes, I started the car back up, and oil psi shot back up to 30ish. I started driving again, everything seemed normal for about 2 minutes, and then the pressure started to go back towards 0. So I pulled over, shut it down again for a few minutes, then started it back up and hit 30ish again.

I drove home, pulling over 2 more times when the psi got low, and after restarting each time it came back up to decent pressure for a bit.

Sooooo, I think this afternoon I'll pull the pan and check the pickup for debris, and replace the aftermarket (used melling) oil pump with the 5.3 stocker and see if anything changes. I doubt it's the pickup o-ring because I would think I would have low pressure at all times, not just after a few minutes of driving.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

is the gauge reading right? I had an electric sender fail so I switched to mechanical.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

single chain or double chain?

if its a double chain... you probably slapped the back of the pump where the pickup tube goes in, which takes chunks of metal off the pump, and goes thru the system destroying the bearings...

I have had to rebuild quite a few because of people who dont check for oil pump clearance to the timing chain

melling has recently changed their pump design to be pre-clearanced because many many people have complained about this issue
Old 12-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
single chain or double chain?

if its a double chain... you probably slapped the back of the pump where the pickup tube goes in, which takes chunks of metal off the pump, and goes thru the system destroying the bearings...

I have had to rebuild quite a few because of people who dont check for oil pump clearance to the timing chain

melling has recently changed their pump design to be pre-clearanced because many many people have complained about this issue
I'm pretty sure that the gauge is reading correctly. My basis for this is the first time the oil pressure dipped I started to hear some lifter noise as I shut down.

I am using the stock single roller chain.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM
7 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

Make sure you replace the oring if it has a nick in it you can air raid the system which will do exactly what your saying
Old 12-26-2015, 12:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the only things that cause oil pressure issues, are the o-ring, collapsed lifters, or messed up main bearings
Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

the only things that cause oil pressure issues, are the o-ring, collapsed lifters, or messed up main bearings
My thought is that maybe the bypass for the oil pump is sticking open, or the o-ring.

Either way, it sounds like I'm pulling the oil pan, at least.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Or oil pump, or relief spring, or cam bearings or big end bearings...or any other major problem within the oil system
Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And cam reatiner plate...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-yourself.html
Old 12-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
Thanks a lot for posting that!!! I would have never checked that, I'll add it to the list.

I think I might just pull the whole engine out again. Sounds like it will make my life easier in the long run. :/
Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Launching!

First 5.3 I had in my car made it through the dyno and then about 10 miles, that's about the time my oil pressure started doing the same thing yours is. Pulled the motor, drooped the pan, found a lot of filings. Ended up having two spun cam bearings. Motor supposedly had 100k on it.

Quick Reply: first drive: things went great, then oil psi issues