Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to hook up wastegate/bov vacuum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to hook up wastegate/bov vacuum lines?

I am in the process of installing the Mighty Mouse PVC catch can and am stuck with how to route the wastegate/bov vacuum lines. Can anyone tell me how they ran their lines? I know where to route the lines for catch can because mm has a diagram. Just don't want to redo everything because of the wastegate/bov. Pictures would be best. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

get a vacuum block and T into your brake booster. You can run everything boost related from there.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

i ran my wastegate reference before the throttle body and bov/ boost gauge to a vacuum block that i T'eed of the brake booster line. some people say it matters with the wastegate only "seeing" boost some say it doesn't.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

What does before the throttle body mean as far as running a line from the wastegate? Where does the line run to that is before the tb?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

i tapped into the charge pipe after the intercooler/before the bov and put a fitting on so i could run my hose from there to the wastegate. just tapped the pipe and ran a barbed fitting in it.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Get a vaccum block and t it into the booster.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

If I can simplify things by running everything off a vacuum block that I can T into the booster line I will do that to make things easier on me. Does it matter what size lines I run? I bought a lot of 3/8 hose but I see that the vacuum blocks I'm looking at have 1/4 fittings for hooking up my lines. It does have the 3/8 where it will T in.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

So this is what I am thinking. There is a line from the tb to one of the pass side ports on the valve cover which I think I can leave. One line from catch can to intake. The other port from catch can to a port on the pass side valve cover. Port on drivers valve cover goes to turbo compressor. Wastegate/bov get T'd into brake booster line.

Anybody think this will work or do I need to change things up? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About to do the same stuff, in for the help as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

This may help. Used a MM PCV Catch Can too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html

Here are some extra notes I sent a guy too.

No problem Jeremy! Of course start with locating your BOV, WG and Catch Can. I bought some silicon vacuum line off eBay from a USA seller due to its high temperature resistance and longevity for my boost lines and vacuum lines. Lets start with the Catch Can, once mounted I sourced my vacuum from right behind the throttle body at the 3/8" nipple on the intake and ran that to my catch can (I used a Mighty Mouse PCV can and would highly suggest using one too!) to the PCV check valve on my can (keeps boost out of the engine and pushing seals out). I the took the factory hard plastic PCV line and took the PCV valve and rubber hose off (its tough but it will come off) and connected that to the other side of my catch can. By using the hard plastic line you'll be pulling vacuum from the driver side rear and the passenger side rear leaving only the passenger side front open which I put a small Auto Zone filter on but I'd recommend connecting a hose and running it to your turbo inlet/filter if your able, I was not hence the filter. That's it for the catch can. You can use a standard catch can without the check valve as I've seen several guys do it with no issues, I didn't want to take a chance so I went with the Mighty Mouse can.
Boost lines are easy too, I tied into the brake booster line because it was easy, I could hide it and many others have done it and had no issues. You'll need a 1/2"x1/2"x1/4" stainless tee available at Grainger to splice into the booster line. I installed the tee, and then about one foot down the line I spliced in for my boost gauge (you could run this to a 4 or 6 port vacuum block to run your other boost/vacuum referenced accessories) then ran the vacuum line along the inner fender to a 1/4" tee which routed off to the BOV and the WG. I used zip ties at all the connection points to secure the boost lines and plain hose clamps for the catch can lines. I hope this was helpful Jeremy and let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
So this is what I am thinking. There is a line from the tb to one of the pass side ports on the valve cover which I think I can leave. One line from catch can to intake. The other port from catch can to a port on the pass side valve cover. Port on drivers valve cover goes to turbo compressor. Wastegate/bov get T'd into brake booster line.

Anybody think this will work or do I need to change things up? Thanks in advance.
Will this not pressurize the engine any time you're in boost?

For a PCV catch can setup, hook up one location(preferably LS6 valley) to the INLET of the turbo... ie air filter or as close to inlet as possible. This will pull a vacuum during boost.

For FPR and BOV, go to the vacuum block.

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW - I 100% recommend the Mighty Mouse catch can. Great can and unparalleled customer service.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Will this not pressurize the engine any time you're in boost?

For a PCV catch can setup, hook up one location(preferably LS6 valley) to the INLET of the turbo... ie air filter or as close to inlet as possible. This will pull a vacuum during boost.

For FPR and BOV, go to the vacuum block.

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Eh you know Hi-Po I agree with you but I know quite a few guys who are running it that way and pressurizing their crank case. Would I suggest it? No, can you get away with it? Yes. I didn't want to roll the dice so I bought the MM PCV can and I'm glad I did. I couldn't run the line to the turbo inlet as I didn't have room so I just put an Auto Zone filter on the nipple for the valve cover and David at MM said it be fine. I will eventually run something to the turbo inlet how ever.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The ******
Eh you know Hi-Po I agree with you but I know quite a few guys who are running it that way and pressurizing their crank case. Would I suggest it? No, can you get away with it? Yes. I didn't want to roll the dice so I bought the MM PCV can and I'm glad I did. I couldn't run the line to the turbo inlet as I didn't have room so I just put an Auto Zone filter on the nipple for the valve cover and David at MM said it be fine. I will eventually run something to the turbo inlet how ever.
This is my solution to my temporary inlet problem. Was worried about the fitting being sucked in. Didn't get a chance to test fit the fitting and sheet metal, when I went to remove it everything was so tight I didn't want to mess with it! I think it turned out alright and should perform.

Name:  20150727_163752_zpsi85i2d7w.jpg
Views: 12530
Size:  276.8 KB

Edit: I'm not swearing by any particular routing option. The topic is been going on for years and years, run what you think is best or what the project allows
Old 07-31-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
This is my solution to my temporary inlet problem. Was worried about the fitting being sucked in. Didn't get a chance to test fit the fitting and sheet metal, when I went to remove it everything was so tight I didn't want to mess with it! I think it turned out alright and should perform.

Edit: I'm not swearing by any particular routing option. The topic is been going on for years and years, run what you think is best or what the project allows
Nice! How did you attach the sheet metal to the filter? Epoxy? Do you have specs and a P/N for that filter too? Mine's too long is the problem so I need a shorter one for my TC78 so I can do what you did.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Good info so far. Will be contacting MM for a can as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The ******
Nice! How did you attach the sheet metal to the filter? Epoxy? Do you have specs and a P/N for that filter too? Mine's too long is the problem so I need a shorter one for my TC78 so I can do what you did.
The fitting is larger then the hole drilled in both the sheet metal and the rubber filter housing. It is very tight fitting. I didn't get a chance to apply any product to the filter end, but I don't think I'll need it.

I think it's this PN http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RU-2510

Mighty Mouse FTW.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Long update but I got everything installed correctly the first time. Nothing was hooked up to the turbo compressor. Catch can was hooked to pass side valve cover and the side of the intake. I bought a vacuum block and mounted it to the firewall. Hooked it up in the line that goes from the back of the intake to the brake booster and ran all my 3/8 vacuum lines off of that. Can't think of how each line is routed but if someone needs to know I can go look.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: Where to hook up wastegate/bov vacuum lines?