Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced Induction Cost

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction Cost

OK fellas, I am relatively new here. I am quickly becoming a fan of turbos, however the only thing I don't like is the cost. It seems a normal front mount turbo kit is ~$5000. But it seems you need other things as well. So I have several questions:

What is needed in addition to a turbo kit? (fuel pump, injectors, etc)?

I have read the sigs of several of you guys (you have some sweet setups) and you list the components but no costs. Can you guys give me a close estimate of what your total FI system cost? This is assuming a totally stock LS1 car to start with.

I have read all about STS, and if they come out with a FMIC I would seriously consider it. But I prefer the all throttle, no bottle approach with my car (whether its a bottle of nitrous or methanol). I think I could get about the same power from a head/cam package for less money than STS. Maybe I am wrong? Thanks,
Pete
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Restricted User

The STS kit is relatively inexpensive ($3,500.00 ?) compared to buying all the parts seperate, fabrication the piping/routing, and time spent doing all the shopping/fabrication. The turbo alone will run you from $1200 - 2100 depending on which turbo you buy (size) and/or which manufacturer.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

i would guess at least another 1k with labor. That's injectors, fuel pump, wastegate and bov if you don't already have it and then there's ls1 edit.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

its a ton of money
fuel pump 300
lines 300
fuel rails 180
heads 1800
motor 3000
rear end 2000
clutch 1000
guages 200
injectors 450

this is just off the top of my head its a ton of money
Old 10-04-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

i knew you knew off the top of your head
Old 10-04-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

just buy a sts kit and then u have labor/tuning to worry about. it'll cost around $5,000 when its all said and done. at least thats what i got when i added up all the costs for me.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

ton of money it is....
Old 10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Fiery Features Director

When I first started on my turbo project, I asked the same question. The answer I got the most was, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it". I quickly learned that was the truth and found it better not to keep tabs. If I really go back and think about it, so far I have about $7k into this setup and another $8k+ to go. It all depends on how far you want to go. A mild set up wouldn't be that much but if you are wanting to reach some higher goals, you have to look well beyond the kit and see everything that goes with it (motor, suspension, fuel, tuning/computer, safety equipment, ect..) The lower the ET, the more money it takes!
Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. My goals are eventually to build a 346 c.i. LS1 with forged crank, rods, and pistons, a turbo cam, and maybe AFR heads. I would shoot for 700 rwhp, kind of like MightyMouse. This is long term goals, like 5 or 6 years from now. I realize this plus a good turbo will easily surpass 10 grand.

I am trying to decide what to do in the meantime for more power on my WS6. I just want some good power to play with right now; enough to beat most stock and slightly modded cars. I am leaning towards a good head/cam package. Any more opinions?

As a side, I heard HP turbo is going to release a firebird/camaro turbo kit for less than 5k. Any of you know about this kit or any details about it?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Thanks for the info guys. My goals are eventually to build a 346 c.i. LS1 with forged crank, rods, and pistons, a turbo cam, and maybe AFR heads. I would shoot for 700 rwhp, kind of like MightyMouse. This is long term goals, like 5 or 6 years from now. I realize this plus a good turbo will easily surpass 10 grand.
Any way you cut it, once you start wanting to get into the 600+ RWHP type numbers, your easily looking well over $10k. You are honestly looking at anywhere from $15K-$30K to do it right.

As a side, I heard HP turbo is going to release a firebird/camaro turbo kit for less than 5k. Any of you know about this kit or any details about it?
HP Motorsports and PTK are both coming out with what should be very impressive turbo kits, and the prices will be more in line with what turbo kits cost for other cars. (i.e. $3,500-$6,000 with $6,000 actually representing a kit that is worth it... not some POS with a log manifold for $6K).
Old 10-04-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

A sts turbo setup isn't as expensive as everyone is making it out to be. I do agree you will need to upgrade your rearend and suspension in the near future but i think you could go fine with a stock car. If you went with sts, heres a shopping list

STS Turbo Kit - $3749
Dynotune - Usually around $500

Now you could stop here, but i would also recommend

Manual Boost Controller - $50 (but you can make one yourself for about $10 in parts)
Tial BOV - $275
Sequential Methanol Injection System(if you want to run at higher psi's) - $475
Boost gauge - $80

This brings everyone to $5,129, without the manual boost controller which you can build. Thats not including installation and labor.

DEZracing and TTP are having a special, for $5,400 you get
STS turbo kit with T-60 turbo
Blow off valve
Manual 0-8lb controller
42lb injectors
full installation and tune.

thats an amazing deal. I wish i had the money in hand cause my car would be at TTP right now.

Last edited by freakynipples69; 10-04-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Well, Not Exactly........................listen I Got A Sts Clone Made(turbometic Turbo) With Intercooler, Bov, Adj Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Two Dyno Runs One Before And One After(tuning) For 3800 Out The Door Installed.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbos can get really really expensive. If you want to keep it simple and have the will power to stop and not make over 450hp, then maybe all you will need is the turbo kit and a few minor suspension upgrades. Anything more then that, I would get a little worried about. If you want to go bigger, I would set some long term goals and start upgrading engine parts before I even get the turbo...

(BTW, love your avatar Freaky)
Old 10-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
A sts turbo setup isn't as expensive as everyone is making it out to be. I do agree you will need to upgrade your rearend and suspension in the near future but i think you could go fine with a stock car.

If you think we are going overboard on projected cost, you are missing the following bit of information from the initial poster:

Once you are looking at 700 rwhp with a forged block and AFR heads, you are looking at:

$6K Long Block
$1-1.5K Fuel System
$2.5K Stand Alone Computer
$5K Turbo setup
$2-2.5K Rear
$1K Clutch
$450 Injectors
$200-$450 driveshaft

And then there are all the little things that pop up and suprise you along the way.... and this still doesn't include any chassis/suspension mods to deal with that power. These prices are ballpark... but like I said, in order to do it "right" you are going to be anywhere from $15K-$30K (with $30K being a really fancy setup with a big cube engine and lots of little extras).
Old 10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,228 Likes on 783 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I read this thread a few times today and thought to myself, how would I answer this?

My car arguably is one of those 'has it all' kinds of cars, and part of the reason I have built it it that much is to showcase a lot of the cool parts that are out there.

I think first you need to really look at what you can afford. If you can swing about $7K you can install a FI kit, upgrade your fuel system and put down to up 500rwhp with a stock long block.

If you want 600rwhp, you are looking at adding heads and cam to that.

if you want 700rwhp or more, you are probably at a point where you need to make another bigger upgrade to your fuel system and you are probably upgrading alot of other aspects of your combo.

We do talk pretty blithely about 600-700rwhp, and running 8's, 9's and 10's like it's no big deal. Reality is that running 9's and 10's are pretty amazing... 8's are off the chain. I look at my initial 10.3@136 and I'm pretty jaded, but once in a while I still am impressed with the intial MPH... how many cars out there run 136+ mph?

I think that I would look at things this way:

Stage 1: FI kit, upgrade fuel system, stock pcm tuning, 500-550rwhp
Stage 2: add heads and cam
Stage 3: forged longblock, upgrading other parts
Old 10-04-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

always plan on paying more than you want
Old 10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The following is the same question asked by the uninitiated, over and over...
Wanna go fast? How much money ya got?

Fact is: Speed costs money.

When the stock components are taxed, expect expenses. If you can't afford the expenses, in at LEAST 4x of the initial cost, then go home. Power and speed are not for you. If you're in for the buy-in and the upgrade cost, then you'll get a well-running car. If you get greedy (which all turbo cars induce in owners... see MM, et al) then you may ship your car 2500 miles and throw countless dollars at every part of your car.

Bottom line? What do you want to do with your car? When that's HONESTLY answered, set about performing the modifications that get you there without changing the venue midstream! Who here has never heard of the "Mizewells"? "Welp," you say, "Mizewell upgrade that while I'm doing this... and this, and that..."

SC-

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
how many cars out there run 136+ mph?
Um... apparently a lot more than you know, with a WHOLE lot less investment...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nz12's
Well, Not Exactly........................listen I Got A Sts Clone Made(turbometic Turbo) With Intercooler, Bov, Adj Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Two Dyno Runs One Before And One After(tuning) For 3800 Out The Door Installed.
you have any more info on your "clone made" kit?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I would shoot for 700 rwhp, kind of like MightyMouse.
You do know he said he had $50,000 in his setup, right?

5-0-0-0-0
Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nz12's
Does that include the lawyer to fight the patent infringement case against you?

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Cost