Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger rebuild?

When I bought my '94 Camaro it came with a p-1sc procharger. When I went to change the s/c oil I only drained out about 1/4 of what a new bottle contains. I put in a full bottle and have driven it for about a month now. It runs quiet and holds boost fine, but today I had to take off my intercooler and there is quite a bit of oil inside it and the tubing. (enough that it was dripping out) I'm assuming the seals in the s/c are leaking, but does anyone know how much ATI charges to rebuild them? Or is there a rebuild kit that you can do it yourself? I just had to buy a new tranny so I don't want to have to fork out a bunch more money right now, but I'd rather get it fixed before the bearings go out.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on the rebuild but it's like 1100.00 to rebuild and upgrade to a D1SC.

Fig
Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a lot of oil in my intercooler to, but it was from the
air filter getting water in it from rain, etc
check the filter first.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the oil level lately? Most of the time the oil is engine oil that is getting sucked out of the valve cover through the PCV (vent) hose that is going to the blower inlet, not blower oil. If you take the inlet off the blower and there is oil in there, that will tell you that it isn't blower oil.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I had actually gone out later and drained the oil out of the blower and found that it in fact still had nearly a full bottle in it. I then compared some of the oil that was still in the intercooler to the drained s/c oil and it was different. The interesting thing is the person who had it before me has the pcv capped off with a big breather filter where the oil fill is. So unless that is older oil from before the pcv being plugged, I wonder how it got in the system? That will be one of my next things to do, is get the pcv routed down to the inlet like it should be.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rbrcka
Thanks guys. I had actually gone out later and drained the oil out of the blower and found that it in fact still had nearly a full bottle in it. I then compared some of the oil that was still in the intercooler to the drained s/c oil and it was different. The interesting thing is the person who had it before me has the pcv capped off with a big breather filter where the oil fill is. So unless that is older oil from before the pcv being plugged, I wonder how it got in the system? That will be one of my next things to do, is get the pcv routed down to the inlet like it should be.
If I were you, I'd leave it like it is!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I will just leave it. I already have enough other stuff to do, like put in a new tranny, plug wires and cap/rotor. lol
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

how does that LT1 feel with the blower?? i ask cause in get a H/C lt1 car and im thinking of boosting it thats
Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
how does that LT1 feel with the blower?? i ask cause in get a H/C lt1 car and im thinking of boosting it thats

Do it. I love my boosted LT1. Its an even better ride with some 4.11 gears too
Old 12-29-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

^^^thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Would it be a good idea to flush the intercooler to get the oil out of it? If so, what would be good to use for cleaning it out.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rbrcka
Would it be a good idea to flush the intercooler to get the oil out of it? If so, what would be good to use for cleaning it out.
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt. Brake clean seems to work the best.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

When I was in the process of replacing my optispark, I noticed the previous owner did not get the hose clamp and procharger outlet elbow on correctly. There was about 1/4 of the rubber fitting sticking out (not under the clamp) so oil that was leaking around the timing cover was running right down into it. Mystery solved for the oil in the intercooler.

Quick Reply: Procharger rebuild?