Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS guys running straight spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS guys running straight spring

Hey,

I'm taking my boost controller off because I blew the diaphragm in the little STS boost controller and am sticking with a 10# spring (.7 or .8 bar) I can't remember. How do I connect the wastegate without the boost controller. If i'm not using a boost controller am I going to experience the boost loss I did when I referenced the line off the turbo w/ the boost controller attached? I'm leaving this vague because I'd like all the help I can get.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

all these hits and no one is running a straight spring?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Justin, run the line from the side of the wastegate to an intake vacume source. Thats it.
Make sure you plug the outlet on the compressor housing.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you reference at the intake that is the boost you will make, so the 10# spring will make just that. Is this on a stock car?

Also, how did you blow the diaphragm? How are their boost controllers setup?
I have a turbonetics version on mine and hope it won't cause problems.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reocamaro... PM me and Ill see if we can get you fixed up with a new controller!

Thanks

Matt
Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i run the 7.5psi spring (.5 bar ) that TRT installed, and that's it for me
Old 08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

If i wanted to run the spring sourced from the compressor side and not from the intake source, how would I route the vacuum tube? Just from the compressor side to the side of the wastegate?

I'm not looking for "the best way to reach boost" I'm just testing different setups so I can see how it functions and how much boost I'd be losing.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

99z28, our cars look similiar from the front, halos and the billet grille. Did you drill holes in to the top of the billet grille or did you use the holes premade?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by reocamaro
If i wanted to run the spring sourced from the compressor side and not from the intake source, how would I route the vacuum tube? Just from the compressor side to the side of the wastegate?

I'm not looking for "the best way to reach boost" I'm just testing different setups so I can see how it functions and how much boost I'd be losing.
bump for an explanation, please.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, Run the line from the compressor side of turbo to the side of the wastegate. I ran it like that at first. I remember seeing less boost than refrencing off the brake booster line where it is now. I started with the 5 lb spring only, and now I am running a $12 Ebay boost controller @ 8 PSI, Simple and effective.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you plug it into the "inside" port of the WG and not the outside one that is on the "cap" so to speak of the WG. The outside port needs to vent to atmosphere.

btw how did you hook up your boost controller? (Im asking anybody thats used the manual ones in here i guess). I lost my instructions for my turbonetics unit and can't remember how to hook it up.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Launching!

I have the same sort of question. I had my reference the old sts way were it T's in from the electronic controller that STS gives you. I am not sure if it is connected on the top or the bottom. Then one leg goes to the bottom of the WG and the other goes to the housing of the turbo. Then again not sure of the bottom or the top of the STS controller goes to the top of the WG.

Now I want to reference to the brake booster. I ran a line from the brake booster to the reference port on the WG. I took the T out and plug the existing line to the turbo housing.

I think something is wrong now because my manual boost controller no longer works and I am just getting WG spring boost. What did I do wrong?

I am going to get under it and get more details on how the lines hooked up but I was thinking some here knows what I F'd up.

Kane
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Kane,
Neither line for mine goes to the turbo. When you are using a boost controller, you are going to reference one to side of the wastegate and run one to the top of the wastegate for added clarification you might want to search my previous threads. I had the exact same question you do and it's answered right on the thread. I'd do it for you, but I'm in a hurry to go to bed. Have a good day.

Quick Reply: STS guys running straight spring