Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo on APS kit came apart today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Turbo on APS kit came apart today

I was in on the second group of people that ordered the APS twin kit for the F-Body kit, the car has been in my shop for a while getting the twin kit, BMR K member and A arms along with a 6 Speed to 4L80E swap and a Nasty Performance Stage 3 fuel system.
I was out doing some road tuning tonight and everything was looking pretty good, was going to have it on the Dyno by this weekend when I made a WOT blast to about 4500 RPM when I heard a loud pop and the engine shut off
I pulled off the road and checked for damage and could see none. oil looked good. coolant looked good so WTF right? finally got it started back up and drove it home, pulled it into the shop looked it over real close raised it up on my lift and low and behold there are 2 holes that I can stick a finger through in the rubber driver side turbo discharge pipe and the turbine housing came apart from the cartrige on the cold side I guess the snap ring broke or something
I checked it very close when I Installed it and it was fine. it was tight and had no problems

173 miles and
has anyone else had any problems with the 20G turbo coming apart?

this sucks because I have pretty much spent everthing that I had saved up for this swap
freaking car has been setting for about 3 months now

Last edited by Darren P; 01-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow! my only thoughts and advice would be to contact APS to see if they would replace it. Hopefully, you should be able to work with them to find a resolve. I've been looking at one of their kits for purchase in a few weeks, this has been the only negative thing I can say I've heard about the kit...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow that sucks dude, I thought I did something similar on my procharger kit. Same thing as you did a WOT pass and heard a loud bang and the engine shut off. Come to find out I broke the belt tensioner so I swapped it out for a Katech tensioner. Thought I broke a piston or something when i did it. I felt like crap until I found out the problem so I know how you feel.

Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red97Z
wow! my only thoughts and advice would be to contact APS to see if they would replace it. Hopefully, you should be able to work with them to find a resolve. I've been looking at one of their kits for purchase in a few weeks, this has been the only negative thing I can say I've heard about the kit...
I will when they get back from Christmas break

It's getting to that time of the year again where the hard working folks at APS Engineering take a break for Christmas.
The APS Engineering facility will close at 4pm on Friday 21st December 2007 and reopen again at 8am on Wednesday 16th January 2008.

Please note that the times and dates above are Australian Eastern Standard Time (Melbourne Australia) - for your equivalent local time and date, please check your world time calculator.
mean while I will be taking it apart again
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by D-Webz
wow that sucks dude, I thought I did something similar on my procharger kit. Same thing as you did a WOT pass and heard a loud bang and the engine shut off. Come to find out I broke the belt tensioner so I swapped it out for a Katech tensioner. Thought I broke a piston or something when i did it. I felt like crap until I found out the problem so I know how you feel.

Good luck with getting it fixed.
that was my first thought as well
I just put a 403 in the car back in the spring and I was sure at first that something on it had came apart
Staging Lane

Wow. Mine's been doing just fine. I think I was the third or fourth person on the board to finish up the kit. Got about 4000 miles on it now with no issues.

Last edited by T A WS6 M6; 01-09-2008 at 10:14 PM.
TECH Apprentice

That sucks. This is the first bad thing I have heard about the fbody kit. Be interesting to see how APS handles it? Good Luck hopefully you are back on the road in no time!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

This is just based on the pics, and I'm DEFINATELY NOT AN EXPERT, but I'm guessing that the shaft bent due to the housing coming apart? You know, it looks like the rotor may have been out of balance and when you finally spun the turbo up real good it let go and tried to go through the housing. At 173 miles it's obviously a bad turbo, but what the hell do I know?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Lotsa times they'll whine pretty loud or something first, though.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

did you call them? i think you should of at least called them before posting this up...

good luck with it, i know how it is to just get the car running and then have something go wrong and be stuck again...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

this makes me nervous, i was also in on the second batch and am installing right now! That sucks and i hope APS comes through for you!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

There's nothing wrong with posting this IMO. He's just letting us know that he's got a problem with his car. We all know how frustrating that is. Sometimes I could shoot myself when something goes wrong with the T/A. Hope this all works out as good as possible for you, OP.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

they are closed till january 16th
I sent Peter a PM but he has not signed on since january 2
mean while I will be tearing it apart to see what is damaged

I don't think this is a knock on APS just whoever made the turbo

I hope it is a freak thing and no one else has a problem at all
it is the first problem that I have seen with the kit
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

oh they are closed, well then calling them wont help, lol.... i'm sure when they get back to you they will make things right, it sucks that this had to happen while they were out
Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
oh they are closed, well then calling them wont help, lol.... i'm sure when they get back to you they will make things right, it sucks that this had to happen while they were out
oh I am sure that they will as well

so far they have been great to deal with.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Doesnt seem like anything APS did. Even if a turbo was out of balance, I would be surprised if they can do anything. Unfortunately, with most performance companies cannot offer warranties just because they dont have any control over the end users installation, driving manners, tuning, fuel, etc etc. Just too many issues out of the producers hands.

I dont see a warranty issue here. I mean, I wish you the best with the issue and I'm not trying to be negative....

Depending on what they say, I would send to to precision and see what they can do. Maybe they can source some different wheels specific to your application to squeeze some HP out of them as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow!!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cracker
Doesnt seem like anything APS did. Even if a turbo was out of balance, I would be surprised if they can do anything. Unfortunately, with most performance companies cannot offer warranties just because they dont have any control over the end users installation, driving manners, tuning, fuel, etc etc. Just too many issues out of the producers hands.

I dont see a warranty issue here. I mean, I wish you the best with the issue and I'm not trying to be negative....

Depending on what they say, I would send to to precision and see what they can do. Maybe they can source some different wheels specific to your application to squeeze some HP out of them as well.
LOL This is the typical bullshit answer I would expect to hear. But that is a defect! PERIOD! Now I can understand if he starved it for oil but that is BS and it should be replaced. They sold a crap load of these kit's on tech. I know if mine did this I would want a replacement PERIOD!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

Just let Peter know about this Darren. The turbo system should have a warranty with it.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/warranty.html
Old 01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Just let Peter know about this Darren. The turbo system should have a warranty with it.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/warranty.html
hey
thanks that helps alot

when will yours go on the dyno?

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today