Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tired of belts..want to go turbo(single)C5.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tired of belts..want to go turbo(single)C5.

Long story short, I bought a used P1SC a long time ago, it was on a original C5 corvette setup. Seemed to be fine, than, had belt problems out the yingyang. With the help of techs at procharger, I got an upgraded set of pulleys but, ultimatly, I had to buy and AFTER MARKET "A&A Corvette" bracket.

Seeemd to work like a champ,...no more aparent belt issues. I am still, on a six rib. Last night, in the middle of a race, I either popped off the belt, and ripped my powersteering pulley in pieces...or it just came apart on it's own, and caused my belt to come off. Regardles....it was apian in the ***...and I ended up taking the blower and bracket off the car at 3am on the side of the road, in attempt to get a belt rigged up some how.... I couldn't.

That said, i've always wanted a single turbo setup. Currently, I have a fuel system, 60#'s, afr 205's, low mile LS6 block, studded, fast 90/90 and a 233 237 649 598 on a 112 camshaft,...which yes, I know it is not boost friendly but, on a 3.9" pulley I make 7.5 psi, and the car make 615rwhp and 565 rwtq on 93 octane. I do have a two piece front cover, if I need to chane the camshaft to make up for a large turbo(lag etc).

I want to get rid of the procharger, and the bracket, as well as my LG pro long tubes. I'd like to go one big single... T76 T80 T88 etc. Not sure WHAT to do. Currently, I am on STOCK 346 cubes but, posibly soon it may be slightly larger but, at the moment, again, stock cubes. What do you recommend? I want to make power NOW on stock cubes but, I also once the built bottom end is in, I wanna make alot more on the same turbo.

This is what I have been drawing for some time now...funny, how someone had a similar idea....and actually built it but...this is the idea I want, to give you guys an idea.... I am on a budget,..and it will most likley be homemade.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...nprogress1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ts/coated1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ts/engine1.jpg

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/814214-c5-single-front-mount-91mm-turbo-kit-done-pics.html

I eventually, want be have a built bottom end. I have another block, or two laying around,..just gotta produce the funds to build it. All in good time. More interested on getting the turbo side fixed(built). I would also plan to use my DUAL INTERCOOLERS from the procharger kit,...that I am currently useing. I street race alot, so the car sees more HIGHWAY speeds then anything. It's a 3.42 6 speed car as well.

Turbo sizing?....whadda you think? I've seen 281ci mustangs runnning T88's and making 800+wheel. Is that too big? The car in the above pictures is a 402 with a 92mm. I know it has alot to do with A/R and the exhaust side but...I don't claim to be mr turbo. Someone please school me.

Thanks, in advance fella's.

Jamie
Old 02-24-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

using those dual intercoolers from the porcharger kitis going to restrict the power u make and bring your temps up if u put a big turbo on there.that being said i think an st80 would be a killer turbo on your car.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98transguy
using those dual intercoolers from the porcharger kitis going to restrict the power u make and bring your temps up if u put a big turbo on there.that being said i think an st80 would be a killer turbo on your car.

Agreed. But depending on the amount of time on the stock rotating assy you may want to at least put fresh bearings in & ARP rod bolts for assurance.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, so thats a good start for information. Thank you. I know I have monitored IAT's with the procharger at cruise,..which are awesome but, must admit, haven't been able to pay much attention to them at WOT.

Gonna search a little about the st80. Doesn't sound like a garret?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good-bye belts, hello tons of heat and hoses and lines everywhere!

Turbo's are very appealing, and for power are better IMO over a supercharger. However even though you don't have to figure out belt issues anymore, you'll have new problems with a Turbo to figure out. Mostly dealing with the heat and higher and more dangerous IAT's.

I agree that it will be a killer combo and when its all done and figured out be superiour to the blower, however once you get the blower belt figured out, the blower is a proven setup for great reliable power as well. It can be something as little as your bracket wasn't aligned properly even by just a little bit, and that would cause it to go through belts, which in turn could cause the flinging belts to take out other things.

Best of luck to you man!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Agreed. But depending on the amount of time on the stock rotating assy you may want to at least put fresh bearings in & ARP rod bolts for assurance.

I agree, thats not a bad idea but, if i'm gonna invest in something I should just put one of the blocks that I have together, and save the LS6 block thats in the car(as in sell it).
I was trying to get a L92 block cheap but..didn't happen.

Seriously on a budget here,...can splurge once ina while but...hurts me for a month or two.

Would be willing to sell the entire procharger kit and long tubde to make a turbo kit,..and possibly save money I work for, for a rotating assembly.

AHHH....or do I just go back to NA and nitrous? Since I already have an TnT F2 kit.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

st80 is an airwerks turbo available from forcedinductions.com
Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CALL911
Good-bye belts, hello tons of heat and hoses and lines everywhere!

Turbo's are very appealing, and for power are better IMO over a supercharger. However even though you don't have to figure out belt issues anymore, you'll have new problems with a Turbo to figure out. Mostly dealing with the heat and higher and more dangerous IAT's.

I agree that it will be a killer combo and when its all done and figured out be superiour to the blower, however once you get the blower belt figured out, the blower is a proven setup for great reliable power as well. It can be something as little as your bracket wasn't aligned properly even by just a little bit, and that would cause it to go through belts, which in turn could cause the flinging belts to take out other things.

Best of luck to you man!

Thanks man.

I do love the blower,...don't get me wrong. It's a wicked setup. I have seemed to be all done and fine when it came to having any more belt issues. Everything was working fine, finally for two months, after the new bracket went in the car. Awesome, great,...very happy. But, me being a mechanic,..not worried about ripping a car apart,...I gotta say, the belt, with that bracket, is a major bitch to change. I've gotta remove the blower, and bracket, to get it started. Not trying to complain but,..i've installed about 60 or more forced induction "kits" on various dealership vehicles.....and mine, is the mother of all f'ers.

I think,...that the composite POWER STEERING pulley,...just came apart, due to all the tension on it(or again, the belt walked) but...I think the pulley just deteriated. It actually broke off the ear of the alternator/pwr steering bracket,...which, i'll have to replace. Fortunatly, I have another off my old car.

And,..honestly, I don't want to spend money on a 8-10 rib setup. CRAZY amount of money for something like that...I just as soon,....break down...and go turbo. Besides that....how much power does it actually take to spin a centrifugel? just curious.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet, thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

...and these intercoolers, are just NO good?....
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not go with the whipple 3.3 or Kenne bell 2.8??

Should make even more power with a lot more torque.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sciff5
why not go with the whipple 3.3 or Kenne bell 2.8??

Should make even more power with a lot more torque.

Still dealing with belts bro.

Tired of belts. Don't wanna look at a sheet or at my gage and see it falling off. Then, if I go with a BIG BOOST setup,...I need a more expensive belt drive system...as in multiple ribs...which, can cost an easy grand. No into that at the moment. Good idea yes but,...if i'm gonna change it up...going turbo.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

..A/R ratio...... .90 , 1.00 , 1.10 , 1.125

Thats the distance from the back of the flange to to center of the compressor wheel? Any recommendations? or just call them?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Still dealing with belts bro.

Tired of belts. Don't wanna look at a sheet or at my gage and see it falling off. Then, if I go with a BIG BOOST setup,...I need a more expensive belt drive system...as in multiple ribs...which, can cost an easy grand. No into that at the moment. Good idea yes but,...if i'm gonna change it up...going turbo.
I understand.. but I think you'll look back at belts as being "not that bad" after getting into turbos.

especially if your trying to keep a budget.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand.. but I think you'll look back at belts as being "not that bad" after getting into turbos.

couldnt agree more
Old 02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CALL911

If the turbos are well matched to the engine size and efficiently intercooled then the air inlets temps would be as low if not lower then any current technology supercharger.

Peter
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well...once built....other then the initial HIT, or costs....whats the typical problem? I understand about proper oiling, and how crucial it is. As far as heat goes, i'd gladly wrap any and everything needed. I'll heat tape the hood, or any other plastic parts.

Never OWNED a turbo car but, i've installed several kits on vettes,trucks..etc. No issues. Granted, these aren't race cars but, they're daily driven cars, and they seem, to run fine, trouble free.

I know about exhaust leaks...and how crucial that is.....I understand about tuning,...which I have that taken care of for me.

Please, in a cool way, clue me in on the issues that people like us, are having on there turbocharged cars. My buddies lingenfelter twin turbo, that he's modified the kit(alot)...runs like a raped ape....his only issue is tires.(granted, it's a lingenfelter kit soo, it's quality).
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont think there is an off the shelf single kit for the C5 mate. there are only twins that i know of. STS, APS, TTi, PTk/S & HP turbos. all have their good and bad points.

Chris.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its not that the intercoolers are bad , they just dont flow enough air when u start making bigger power ie 700rwhp.and about the turbo,i would call and talk to JOse once u figure out exactly how much power u want and what size motor u are going with and he will set u up with the right turbo
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Well...once built....other then the initial HIT, or costs....whats the typical problem? I understand about proper oiling, and how crucial it is. As far as heat goes, i'd gladly wrap any and everything needed. I'll heat tape the hood, or any other plastic parts.

Never OWNED a turbo car but, i've installed several kits on vettes,trucks..etc. No issues. Granted, these aren't race cars but, they're daily driven cars, and they seem, to run fine, trouble free.

I know about exhaust leaks...and how crucial that is.....I understand about tuning,...which I have that taken care of for me.

Please, in a cool way, clue me in on the issues that people like us, are having on there turbocharged cars. My buddies lingenfelter twin turbo, that he's modified the kit(alot)...runs like a raped ape....his only issue is tires.(granted, it's a lingenfelter kit soo, it's quality).

Brotha I am just gettin into them myself, but I've been doing some research and my roomate is a supra owner so I have been picking his brain a lot. I think a lot of the issues come with trying something new (like you said this would be your first build so like everyone you'll prob make a few mistakes).. I meen the first time you try anything usually you make some mistakes. I would say going with a twin kit will make sure you have a well engineered setup that should make for an easy install, and less maintenence. It'll save you a lot of time and thus money.. I meen the kits out today are pretty damn good for what you get, if they fit my Rx7 I would prob go with twins instead of a supercharger.

But some of the issues are leaks in the hot/cold side. When you start pushing the envelope, you may start running into couplers blowing off as frequently as you were eating belts, which can be fixed btw, but again its just a learning process of what works and what doesnt.. wich is why the kits are good they save you the hassle. Wrapping everything up including the exhaust manifolds may make for better spooling charachteristics and reduced temps under the hood but puts a lot of stress on the exhaust manifolds through the natural heat cycling process.. over time if they are wrapped they usually crack creating exhaust leaks, the fact that most turbo systems have the weight of the turbo hanging by the exhaust manifolds make them more prone to cracking. You should see the aftermarket exhaust manifolds supras use.. they have little braces built into every primary to support the extra weight of the turbo, and they are usually ceramic coated, not cheap peices.

These are just some of the obvious issues.. Someone who is running a turbo setup currently I am sure could share more with you.

But by all meens man, I do think turbos are awsome. I would just stick with a kit personally, or just switch to an 8 rib setup with your p1 which would save you time and money.. and prob help with the belt issue.

Btw I'm looking at a spec 3+ clutch.. is that the clutch marco blew to bits, or was it a spec 3?

Last edited by sciff5; 02-25-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Tired of belts..want to go turbo(single)C5.