Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Superchargers on a 5.3 in a 03 Avalanche

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Superchargers on a 5.3 in a 03 Avalanche

Anyone have an kind of SC on a 5.3? I have a friend of mine that bought a whipple SC. The shop that put it on was a marine center, and from what it sounds. . . didn't know donkey d*** on SC's. This the one that comes with it's own puter. Out of 6 runs a stone stock 4 Tahoe spanked him. He's looking for another shop to install another one. Everything from purchase to install. Anybody have any recommendations? Or better yet, what do you have and who did the install.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 PM
blownerator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Superchargers on a 5.3 in a 03 Avalanche

Dump the whipple! (IMO)

www.magnacharger.com

Radix!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Dump the Whipple -blownchevy whatever man
Is this the single belt setup, or does a seperate belt drive the SC while retaining the other engine accessory belt? It is not hard to install a Whipple. Therefore, the only place that I can see they would have messed up would be on the wiring. Is the Whipple light flashing any codes to your buddy?

Did you guys notice any gains at all i.e. it feels a lot faster doesn't it?
To tell you the truth, being a non-intercooled SC it is not a real seat of the pants gain when you are running it in 100+ weather. (you should still notice some increase in power though)

If you still want to sell it, I know guys on here would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will run, but you may have to have some tuning done. If you don't want to buy Edit,and or a wideband/have a shop wideband it, and learn it your self, find a competent tuner of LS1's and ask them. Installing larger injectors, and ditching the aux injectors it came with may help(along with tuning), and I have heard many issues with the Whipple aux computer that it comes with.
Don't beat on it until you find out what A/F you are running.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:22 AM
blownerator

Ryan23silverado:

Not knocking the whipple (too hard)! There are guys out there getting Great results from the whipple! I am just speaking from my poor experience with the whipple. Yes you are right, Whipple did go wrong with the computer interface and the wireing NIGHTMARE, but other than that the kit is OK. We had a customer come in and BEG us to remove the whipple and install the Radix, hence all of his SES problems went away. So yes, IMO I say Sell the whipple and go with a better engineered kit. Magnacharger did their homework on the Radix!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Launching!

I will second the Radix. Really adds a kick, even in hot weather. Although hitting the throttle in hot weather will build up heat in the intercooler system and take a while to cool back down.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey thanks for the help guys. His light was not flashing, and his "kit" did not have an intercooler. He could notice a thing at all. Like I said . . . he got spanked 6 times by a stone stock 4 dr Tahoe.

So yall are saying to go with a Magna Charger?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

The MagnaCharger (RADIX) system is very popular for the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 trucks. This is an intercooled system that is good for about a 130-150hp gain.

Your friend should be able to feel something with the Whipple. There 5.3 kit is good for about 90-100hp. Sounds like it could be something with the programming if the Whipple light isn't flashing any problems.

Quick Reply: Superchargers on a 5.3 in a 03 Avalanche