Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

6an same as 3/8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6an same as 3/8?

I'm running some fuel lines and getting conflicting data on 6AN and 3/8

The ID of a 3/8 hose is...3/8...which should be the ID of a 6an hose.

Problem is, I have some 6an hose and the ID looks like it is smaller than my 3/8 hose. I'm comparing braided 6an to 3/8 rubber though. The 6an doesn't want to go over the 3/8in barbs it seems to small.

Am I crazy here or what?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No they aren't exactly the same. Most people compare them because they are close and flow roughly the same.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat161.htm

According to this, AN and hard line are OD measurements and NPT is inside diameter so for AN and hard line the inside diameter would depend on the thickness of the tubing.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, going to see if the 6an will fit onto the 3/8's barbs if the flare is removed with some test pipe.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cthulu
Yeah, going to see if the 6an will fit onto the 3/8's barbs if the flare is removed with some test pipe.

No way the 6an hose fits over the 3/8 barbs for the PCV system. Even if I cut the flare off it still wouldn't fit.

8an hose is too big, would need a clamp and would still wiggle around a bit.

Only good solution I can think of is to use 3/8 hose, was kind of hoping to have all black nylon braided AN lines for Fuel/Coolant/PCV.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you trying to put braided AN hose over a barb anyway? One of the advantages of AN fittings/line is clean setup and positive retention fittings that don't require thread tape, sealer, or hose clamps.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Why are you trying to put braided AN hose over a barb anyway? One of the advantages of AN fittings/line is clean setup and positive retention fittings that don't require thread tape, sealer, or hose clamps.

Because my valve covers don't have AN fittings on them for PCV, they have barbs.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** I was going to do the same thing with black braided line on my pvc system. Already bought the line and have an fittings in my catch can
Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lsxtreme17268
**** I was going to do the same thing with black braided line on my pvc system. Already bought the line and have an fittings in my catch cam
Well, if you figure out a solution let me know man. Right now I'm just going to run 3/8 for the PCV 4an for the steam ports and 6an PFTE for the fuel.

Maybe I'll cover the 3/8 PVC hose in a nylon braid..this kind of turned into an appearance and detailing thread.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I like the looks of the black braided hoses. I'll get something worked out.. Maybe a 3/8 to an adapter on the valve cover barb.. Like the ones used on fuel line. Something has to work :-)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could always pull out the barb and tap the valve cover for a 90* NPT to -6 AN. Probably cleaner, more secure install that way. Yeah, you might have to spend $12 in fittings from ebay or Summit/Jegs.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HexenLord
You could always pull out the barb and tap the valve cover for a 90* NPT to -6 AN. Probably cleaner, more secure install that way. Yeah, you might have to spend $12 in fittings from ebay or Summit/Jegs.
Do the barbs just pull out of the valve covers?

Is there enough material in there to tap?

What about the fittings on the Throttle body and the composite material intake, can you tap those?

Drilling and tapping an npt then slapping an NPT to AN fitting is not something I'm not opposed to but I don't want to drill my intake to discover it's like 1/16in thick.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There isn't a lot of material to tap to be honest. I've seen a few people tap a few threads into it, cover the threads on the fittings with epoxy, and then around the threads on the underside of the valve cover with epoxy. They never seemed to have an issue out of it.

I looked up "welder" on google maps. There's a dozen companies within a few miles of me that do welding and fabrication. I've had them do all of my aluminum for my build for cheap. Welding a -10 AN oil return bung into my oil pan was $10.

Just depends on which route you want to go. Personally, I'd weld the fitting into the cover. AN lines/fittings are SO much better than NPT (no sealer/thread tape), and infinitely better than hose clamps.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just going to run the below for my 3/8 hoses over them just a braided nylon cover similar to cable management stuff, it's cheap and should match the AN lines more or less. (yes, this is just for aesthetics) If a mod wants to move this to appearance and detailing I won't be upset.

Amazon.com : Techflex 1/2 Clean Cut Sleeving 25 feet Black : Cable Sleeves : Electronics Amazon.com : Techflex 1/2 Clean Cut Sleeving 25 feet Black : Cable Sleeves : Electronics
Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AN hose is the inside diameter. Basicly it is 16ths of an inch, -06 is 6/16 or 3/8. This is not exact and can vary between manufacturers. One of the reasons braided line won't fit over barbs is it can't expand enough, it is not designed to expand like rubber hose. I have gotten some braided stainless hose over barb fittings and used hose finishers (they look like a nut and have a hose clamp inside).
Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ss performance
AN hose is the inside diameter. Basicly it is 16ths of an inch, -06 is 6/16 or 3/8. This is not exact and can vary between manufacturers. One of the reasons braided line won't fit over barbs is it can't expand enough, it is not designed to expand like rubber hose. I have gotten some braided stainless hose over barb fittings and used hose finishers (they look like a nut and have a hose clamp inside).

AN is outside diameter. If you don't believe tanks inc how about Holley?
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ad%20Sizes.pdf
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gsteele
AN is outside diameter. If you don't believe tanks inc how about Holley?
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ad%20Sizes.pdf
Well it seems what I had been taught and believed for many years is incorrect.

The idea behind AN hoses and fittings was to provide a flexible alternative to rigid tubing in plumbing aircraft and military vehicles. Sizes for rigid tubes were standardized, with sizes called out by tubing OD (3/16", 1/2", etc). AN hose sizes were designed to match the ID sizes of these rigid tubes. Can you see the confusion starting? Tubing is known by OD, but the hoses are sized according to the tubing ID -- not the hose OD or even the hose ID.

AN hose sizes are based on the nominal OD of the tubing with a matching ID. It sounds convoluted, but it really is a simple idea and a logical goal. If hoses were called out using the hose OD (the same system used for tubing), the ID of a 3/8" hose would be much smaller than the ID of a 3/8" tube. Add to that the fact that different hoses have different wall thicknesses, and it would be impossible to predict the hose size required for any application.

However what is said on the Holley site only confuses the issue even more.

For example, the inside diameter of an Earl’s size 6 hose end is nearly as large as the inside diameter of some other manufacturers’ -8 hose ends.

If both hoses are built to the AN standard they would have the same inside diameter.

As it says above tube is measured in OD hose in ID so if two hoses are built to the same spec they would have the same ID.

I guess my confusion was based on the fact that hose is measured ID so that is how I figured the spec was measured. And there are some hose manufacturers that do make their -6 hose at 3/8 or close enough to not make a difference.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cthulu
I just cut my evap line, -6 i believe, and heated it with a hair dryer to put a 5/16 barb in it.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can use -6 hose fittings on 3/8 line. I did that with my transmission lines

Quick Reply: 6an same as 3/8?