Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Holes in bottom of plastic fill bucket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Holes in bottom of plastic fill bucket?

I purchased a used 99-02 F-Body Racetronix RXP255 Fuel Pump Assembly with Racetronix Fuel Pump Wiring Kit (Hot wire kit) PN:FPA-001B & FPWK-017W and the plastic fill bucket was included with the fuel pump already setup inside the bucket. The plastic fill bucket has 3 holes drilled into the bottom of it, so mounting a fuel sock on the outside is out of the question.

Is this some sort of mod that is done and are the holes anything to be concerned about? Why were they drilled?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
I purchased a used 99-02 F-Body Racetronix RXP255 Fuel Pump Assembly with Racetronix Fuel Pump Wiring Kit (Hot wire kit) PN:FPA-001B & FPWK-017W and the plastic fill bucket was included with the fuel pump already setup inside the bucket. The plastic fill bucket has 3 holes drilled into the bottom of it, so mounting a fuel sock on the outside is out of the question. Is this some sort of mod that is done and are the holes anything to be concerned about? Why were they drilled?
You usually do that drill mod when using a non "Venturi" fuel pump.

The Venturi is that little straw tube coming out of the top of the stock pump and going through to the bottom of the bucket, it's designed to suck fuel up and fill the plastic bucket and keep it full so the pump is always submerged.. Even if the gas is close to being empty in the tank..

When you use some aftermarket pumps they don't have that feature and you basically have to drill holes in the plastic bucket so fuel can get in to the pump.

So sounds like someone had a non Venturi pump in that bucket at some point
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Burken01
You usually do that drill mod when using a non "Venturi" fuel pump.

The Venturi is that little straw tube coming out of the top of the stock pump and going through to the bottom of the bucket, it's designed to suck fuel up and fill the plastic bucket and keep it full so the pump is always submerged.. Even if the gas is close to being empty in the tank..

When you use some aftermarket pumps they don't have that feature and you basically have to drill holes in the plastic bucket so fuel can get in to the pump.

So sounds like someone had a non Venturi pump in that bucket at some point
If the pump in it now is a venture pump, should I transfer it to my stock plastic bucket and put a sock on it? Will try to see what kind it is without taking it out of the bucket.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

The racetronix pumps use the Venturi, double check that it's hooked up.

If it is a Venturi pump then yes I would transfer it into your stock Unmodified bucket if it were me.

That way it works like it's supposed to
Old 05-21-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Doesn't appear to be a Venturi. I can take the pump out to see what kind it is. Filter sock is inside of the bucket. Drawbacks of a non Ventri style pump?

Name:  IMG_4824_zps5ahjavux.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4823_zps9dwyotoy.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4822_zpsymwx7gor.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  89.6 KB
Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Doesn't appear to be a Ventri. I can take the pump out to see what kind it is. Filter sock is inside of the bucket. Drawbacks of a non Ventri style pump?
I personally haven't really seen any draw backs, most people who swap aftermarket pumps in the stock bucket delete Venturi anyway.

It's just a factory design so the pump doesn't get starved for fuel when high speed cornering or running the tank down past Empty..

If your going to run it in that bucket I would drill some more holes at least around the whole bucket side walls..
Old 05-21-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

I believe it's a Walbro 255
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

I believe it's a Walbro 255
Yeah it will work just fine.

But yeah I would drill more holes for it. Just preference
Old 05-21-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ank-fuel-pump/

The biggest problem with LS1 installations is the factory bucket that the pump resides in. It is equipped with a "Jet Pump" that keeps the bucket full and the pump submerged when the fuel level is low. Typically when this style of pump is installed, holes are drilled in the bucket to keep it full since there is no way to connect the jet pump. When this is done the jet pump is disabled, pump performace is greatly diminished, the tank will not empty properly and there is a good chance of sucking air into the system. There is now an intank solution with the proper connection so that the jet pump can be connected and proper factory intended pump operation can be restored.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the bucket "mods" it mentions are holes lol
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

So when jet pump is disabled, pump performance is greatly diminished, the tank will not empty properly and there is a good chance of sucking air into the system? Is this a concern or just marketing bs?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

So when jet pump is disabled, pump performance is greatly diminished, the tank will not empty properly and there is a good chance of sucking air into the system? Is this a concern or just marketing bs?
"They" think you are going to put the walbro 255 (non Venturi) back into the bucket and go drive.

Which means when the fuel level goes below the top of that bucket then the pump inside is not being fed any fuel via the Venturi which is supposed to keep pumping fuel into that little bucket..

Pretend your floating in a sea of fuel on a raft, and you are a fuel pump.. Your in the raft and can't get any fuel, so the Venturi sucks fuel from the sea via a straw tube and fills the raft up so you can drink
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Forgot to add, when you cut all the holes into that bucket it lets fuel in at all times and keeps the new non Venturi pump fully submerged
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Burken01
"They" think you are going to put the walbro 255 (non Venturi) back into the bucket and go drive.

Which means when the fuel level goes below the top of that bucket then the pump inside is not being fed any fuel via the Venturi which is supposed to keep pumping fuel into that little bucket..

Pretend your floating in a sea of fuel on a raft, and you are a fuel pump.. Your in the raft and can't get any fuel, so the Venturi sucks fuel from the sea via a straw tube and fills the raft up so you can drink
So even with drilling the holes in the sides is it still an issue taking corners fast or going near empty?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

So even with drilling the holes in the sides is it still an issue taking corners fast or going near empty?
I mean you won't be able to drive the vehicle passed empty like you could a working Venturi pump.

However every fbody guy who swaps to a non OEM pump deletes Venturi and does just fine.

There's numerous cars on here that do it..

You should be fine, I would just drill 5-10 more holes just so it will allow more fuel in
Old 05-21-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Will do. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to interrupt, but the venturi is not the only way the bucket is filled. The return line feeds down into the bottom of the bucket. With not venturi hooked up, the pump is still submerged. And with the holes in the bottom rather than the side, it allows the pump to be submerged while not suffering from lateral fuel sloshing as bad.

You're fine to use that bucket.

Quick Reply: Holes in bottom of plastic fill bucket?