Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure regulator on a '98

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure regulator on a '98

I have a '98 f-body and was wondering if a fuel pressure regulator would be needed on a turbo application? I plan on putting a walbro 255 in and making my own hotwire kit. (Speaking of which, the pump always on 12 volts and not on a speed control right? That way I would use the stock wiring to power a relay which has a big gauge wire running directly to the pump correct?) I am going to use 60lb injectors and plan on pushing around 10 psi. I want to make sure I am not going to have a fuel problem while boosting. The '98 has an in-tank regulator from what I have found, is that true? Does it have to be upgraded or modified to an external regulator and possibly a return line? Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttttttttttttt
Old 01-29-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, 98's have an intake fuel pressure regulator. I'm not boosted, but run an external Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator located right next to the fuel filter. But it's still a returnless system.

Last edited by DrkPhx; 01-30-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive read that there is an adjustable fuel regulator is in the tank on 98's but there is a silver canister that is the regulator above the intake manifold. There wasnt a regulator in my tank. Does anybody have more info on the 98's ?

thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Excerpted from GM eSI:

The fuel sender assembly is inside the fuel tank attached to the top of the fuel tank. The fuel sender assembly consists of the following major components:

The fuel level sensor (3).
The fuel tank pressure sensor (1).
The fuel pump (7).
The fuel pressure regulator (8).
The fuel pump strainer (6).
The fuel pump (7) attaches to the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump is an electric high pressure gear rotor pump. The fuel pump pumps fuel to the fuel rail assembly at a specified flow and pressure. Excess fuel returns to the fuel tank by the return pipe. The fuel pump delivers a constant flow of fuel to the engine even during low fuel conditions and aggressive vehicle maneuvers. The PCM controls the electric fuel pump operation through a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump flex pipe has a quick-connect fitting. The fuel return hose attaches to the fuel pressure regulator (8). The fuel pump flex pipe acts to dampen the fuel pulses and noise generated by the fuel pump.

The fuel pressure regulator is a part of the fuel sender assembly fuel return pipe. The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm operated relief valve. A software bias compensates the injector on-time because the fuel pressure regulator is not referenced to manifold vacuum. The fuel injector pulse width varies with the signal from the MAP sensor. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, system fuel pressure at the pressure test connection should be 380-410 kPa (55-60 psi). If the pressure is too low, poor performance could result. If the pressure is too high, excessive odor and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0132, P0152, P0172 or P0175 may result. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis for information on diagnosing fuel pressure conditions.

The fuel feed pipe carries fuel from the fuel tank to the fuel rail assembly. The fuel return pipe carries fuel from the T-connector located on the outlet side of the fuel filter back to the fuel tank. The fuel pipes consist of three sections:

The rear fuel pipe assemblies are located from the top of the fuel tank to the chassis fuel pipes. The rear fuel pipes are constructed of nylon.
The chassis fuel pipes are located under the vehicle and connect the rear fuel pipes to the engine compartment connecting fuel pipe. These pipes are constructed of steel.
The engine compartment connecting fuel pipe connects the chassis fuel pipe to the engine fuel rail. This fuel pipe is constructed of nylon.

Document ID# 232124
1998 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro
Old 02-03-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WicketMike
ive read that there is an adjustable fuel regulator is in the tank on 98's but there is a silver canister that is the regulator above the intake manifold. There wasnt a regulator in my tank. Does anybody have more info on the 98's ?

thanks
The factory regulator is not adjustable.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:18 AM
9 Second Club

Werd and since you have a 98 just sump the tank and enjoy not having to front the cost of the a custom tank.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what that silver canister is on the fuel rail? Is that some kind of regulator? Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

That is the factory pulsator. Im sure most of us aftermarket guys have one laying around. Better yet we have the fuel rails laying around
Old 02-05-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

What is that exactly? I have seen aftermarket ones that fit on the fuel rail that are boost referenced and act sort of like a fuel pressure regulator, is that possible?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator on a '98