Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Has anybody mounted their fuel sysytem in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody mounted their fuel sysytem in the trunk?

Has anybody mounted their fuel system in the trunk? I was thinking of doing this, so when the car accelerates gravity pushes the fuel towards the pump. Another good thing about this mounting method would be the pump and filters would be safe from road debris. My main concerns are the obvious ones, A. ahh fuel inside the car= not such a good idea. B. Battery is mounted in the back. Battery+fuel system = firework show. The W2W 93 camaro gave me the Idea, Only I'm using a stock tank with a comp sump.

So what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody mounted their fuel sysytem in the trunk?-jeff16.jpg  

Last edited by Dwn Cam; 05-12-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a good idea actually... I would just put the battery in a box that is fire proof and somehow seal the pump away from any kind of carpet or anything that can soak it up... If W2W is doing it then it must be okay... =)
Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have this setup. 3 year running strong with no problems (knock on wood). Granted, not a daily driver, but driven enough. Make sure that you leave a drain in there so if there is ever a leak by the pump that the gas does not fill that area, better on the ground, than inside your car.

P.S. Track officials won't like it unless it is sealed off from the passenger compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody mounted their fuel sysytem in the trunk?-picture-005.jpg  
Old 05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Nice!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Are those all relays? What the hell you have that many for? Very Nice though.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skunkdya
I have this setup. 3 year running strong with no problems (knock on wood). Granted, not a daily driver, but driven enough. Make sure that you leave a drain in there so if there is ever a leak by the pump that the gas does not fill that area, better on the ground, than inside your car.

P.S. Track officials won't like it unless it is sealed off from the passenger compartment.
that wouldnt pass anything around here, tech at the track or local inspections, thats far from safe with out a fire wall build for in there.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes those are all relays. The wiring for the entire car was built from scratch to clean everything up. There are barely any wires visible in the engine compartment, and the only way to do that was to create the wiring from scratch.

Ya, it definately would not pass at the track so I need to build a firewall for it. It looks pretty cool right now though and I am having fun going to shows. BTW, what do you mean "local inspections". Where I live they don't have that.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

From the sound of it. This is not the way to go? Does anybody have a copy of the 2007 NHRA rule book and what does it say about stock bodied cars and the fuel systems that go in them?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Launching!

I have a bung welded to my tank that gravity feeds a pump mounted with the filters in the trunk area, works like a charm, I will be welding in a plate on top with an acess hatch to block it off from the car for safety reasons
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SR-71 SS
I have a bung welded to my tank that gravity feeds a pump mounted with the filters in the trunk area, works like a charm, I will be welding in a plate on top with an acess hatch to block it off from the car for safety reasons
You wouldn't by chance have a picture of this setup would you?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Default trunk wiring

That electrical box with the clear cover sure looks like a Weldon fuel pump controller. Any chance of that?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

The first picture I posted was from the W2W 1993 camaro build. Yea I think it is a weldon fuel sysytem.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Dwn Cam,
The 1993 Camaro that W2W is building is my car. We car selling the fuel cell that you attached a picture of in the first post. The only reason is that we ended up back-halving the car and making a different style fuel cell to fit the needs of the new design. The fuel cell pictured is very good quailty and was sumped by W2W. Send me an email at potentz@yahoo.com if you are interested.