Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Tank Removal (Writeup w/ Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Removal (Writeup w/ Pics)

First of let me say this is not the most IN DEPTH writeup. I am doing this to clear a few things up that came in my way and might come in yours when doing this task.

1. As little gas as possible in the tank is KEY, the less weight you have to work with the easier it will be to get the tank itself out of the chassis.

2. Go about getting the car up in the air safley so that the rear can be suspended later on during the task.

3. Begin by unbolting the filler cap.

4. After the cap is complete, go ahead and get under the car and take of the heat shealding around the tank. (NOTE: This step will would be more in depth if you have a catback, or out the back exhaust).

5. Next start removing the Panhard rod itself, I just took the 3 Bolts off the drivers side and then the 2 bushing bolts off the passanger side, the PHR came off and the other rod was held in by a bushing bolt.

6. After thats done go ahead and get some support under the differential, after that start removing the swaybar and shock bolts. 2 on each side (1 Sway bar, 1 Shock) this will leave the diff. almost fully suspended so put some jackstands on the lugs on each side.

7. Once you have enough room to start working with, youll want to drop the tank enough to undo the wiring to the pump. (I already have the trap door so it was done)

8. After that call a buddy over to help you wiggle the tank out, it takes some TLC, lots of it actualy

9. Start buy removing the 2 straps that hold the tank in, once the straps are off you can either band them back out of the way or attempt to take them out of there location (I bent them, then took them off).

10. Once you have enough room to work with you can start buy pulling the tank down toward the passanger tire, you will constantly get caught on the filler neck but dont worry it will budge.

Once you have it down there its just a matter of getting the filler neck to comply, i rolled a bit of the inner fender to make it work. That bit helped a lot when the lip of the neck was there.

11. Siphon any left over gas in the tank out and then do as you please

END RESULT

Hope this helps anyone trying to do this, took me about 5hrs of solid work to get it done.

Tony.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job with the writeup. A lot of people have been asking for one on this for a while. Did you absolutly have to drop the rear when removing it? Ive read that its possible to get it out and back in w/ just supporting the car from the body and letting the rear hang w/o unbolting it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

I have taken my tank out 3 times and I just let the rear hang.

And there is no need to bend the bands, just turn them 90 degrees and they will come out.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tony stock rear controal arms? no relo brackets? is that a 10 bolt with no cover? man....

good writeup, why did you remove the tank?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

Tank came out so I could put the trapdooor back on and make it look OEM. Pretty much just trying to find things to do on the car since im bored. LOL!

Tony.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Pretty good write up...
Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Wow that's alot of work, I ended up cutting a square in the trunk to access the pump. I'll post some pics later
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

It's actually pretty easy to get out. I don't know why people make a big deal about it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

replace it with a sheetmetal tank. you know you want to
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very similar to when I took mine out but I left the rear in place. I actually had the jackstands under the axle when I dropped my tank. Just undid that panhard brace and the panhard rod. Undid the tank straps and we got it out. Took 2 people but wasn't too bad. One holding the tank while the other disconnected the fuel lines and wiring. Then we leaned the tank back and it came right out. Nice write-up though. Thanks for the pics.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Removal (Writeup w/ Pics)