Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car died while driving...now won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died while driving...now won't start...

Wasn't sure where to post this, hope it's in the right place.

I was coming home from hanging out with some friends this evening...I got on it once, was at about 40mph (car is a 98 TA A4 with 2.73's)..stayed into it and then let off right around 6ish....car didn't upshift, just coasted back down to normal RPMs....pulled over, said bye to my friend...

Get back on the road, at about 5mph I smack it down and the car starts to pull then just dies out...car starts to sputter. Hit the gas and it barely wants to go anywhere...throw it into neutral and coast to a parking lot. From there I turn the car off quickly, wait 2 minutes, then start it back up. It cranks and almost fired up, and the car shuddered and idled below 500rpm, then died. Proceeded to try to start it a few more times, same story.

I think great...out of gas (car was a low, but when I turn it off the gauge returned to 1/4...started it, went right to E )

Grabbed a ride and got some gas, 4 gallons later the car still won't start...gauge shows 1/4 tank when the car's on and just a little over when the car's off. It just cranks and chugs. Now I can't even get it to half *** start and idle below 500 for second, just turns and chugs and it's out. Got a tow home and thought I would post up to see if anyone had any ideas about what it could be. Checked near the fuel rail, removed the cap and got some fuel to spew out. Did I run out of gas and lose a relay/fuse at the same time?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a SES light?
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the run position?
I would look towards a fuel related problem.
Changed the fuel filter latley?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Teching In

Well...I turn the key to "on"...SES, ABS INOP, and CHECK GAGES stays on. Everything was normal when it was half *** idling and right before it died out each time. No SES...

My buddy has a scanner I could borrow to see if it's throwing any codes.

I think I can hear the pump prime, not totally sure though. I'll have a buddy listen while I turn the key tomorrow. I just bought the car a month ago, it has 75k on it. No clue if the fuel filter has been changed recently.

Last edited by JHN272; 07-14-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Teching In

OK, I can't hear it prime. I swapped the relay from the AC into the fuel pump and it didn't make a difference. Swapped the fuse with the fuel pump to the horn, the horn then did not work (fuel pump fuse IS bad) but it didn't make a difference in trying to start the car. I think it may be the fuel pump...how do I check for fuel pressure? Just upcap the plug on the rail and see?

It doesn't even struggle to start, doesn't fire, just won't start at all now.

EDIT: uncapped the rail and couldn't get any fuel to come out, did so last night and had a little fuel come out though...after trying to start it 15+ times, now there's no fuel. So would it be my pump gone bad?

Last edited by JHN272; 07-14-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn the key to the run position, remove the cap on the end of the fuel rail. Take a rag and some type of small blunt object to push in the schreader valve. You should get a good blast/spray of fuel, coming out.
It should not just dribble out.
This method if you don't have a gauge that is.

Sorry to say, sounding like a fuel pump. Fuel pump went out taking the fuse with it. Recheck your fuse again. If blown sure points to a bad pump.

No to confirm that if the fuse is blown. Disconnect the fuel pump harness from the disconnect block just in front of the rear end, LH side.

Install a good fuse, key to run and with pump disconnected. If fuse dose not blow you can bet that the pump is shot.

Quick and easy way with out any test equipment.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Turn the key to the run position, remove the cap on the end of the fuel rail. Take a rag and some type of small blunt object to push in the schreader valve. You should get a good blast/spray of fuel, coming out.
It should not just dribble out.
This method if you don't have a gauge that is.

Sorry to say, sounding like a fuel pump. Fuel pump went out taking the fuse with it. Recheck your fuse again. If blown sure points to a bad pump.

No to confirm that if the fuse is blown. Disconnect the fuel pump harness from the disconnect block just in front of the rear end, LH side.

Install a good fuse, key to run and with pump disconnected. If fuse dose not blow you can bet that the pump is shot.

Quick and easy way with out any test equipment.
Have to head out for today, but I'll try that when I get back home. Last night it didn't SPRAY, just a dribble.

Def think it's the pump. I'll just pick up the Racetronix 98 kit and do that after i test tonight.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Launching!

wow..it didnt give you any signs of going out?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnson7454
wow..it didnt give you any signs of going out?
Just shuddered for a min or two, long enough for me to pull over. I killed it and never got it started for more than 3 seconds after that.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Teching In

i recently had the exact same thing happen to me... at first the fuel pump was turning on because you could hear it and it was sending fuel to the top of the rail.... so i checked fuses all were good... put gas in it like you did... but by me continuously cranking it i shot the fuel pump because the fuel was getting sent back down to the tank and what not... turned out my fuel sending unit went bad which caused the problem... the unit also comes with a new fuel pump... but the problem is with labor it cost me 1300 to get fixed.... good luck man hope its not that

Quick Reply: Car died while driving...now won't start...