Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whats the best brand or type of 12 bolt rearend out there for 01 camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best brand or type of 12 bolt rearend out there for 01 camaro ss

Whats the best 12 bolt rear end out there for My 01 camaro ss? Im starting to upgrade My car so I thoguht it best to start from the rear. I wanna know where to buy from a complete "stout" 12 bolt rear end with 4.10s or 4.30s?? And ill I need anything else, better drive shaft?? Anything at all? Or will the stock parts work ok with the 12 bolt rear?

After that I will do heads & cam and full exhaust. Pls any help would be appreciated right now, cheers guys
Old 07-17-2009, 04:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

A nine inch rear is what I would go with, and the reasons why can be found at the above link. The factory driveshaft is very weak, and we sell a lifetime warrantied PST driveshaft as an option at the above link. Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I too would go with a 9 inch if I had the opportunity but when I got my 12 bolt the 9 inches werent available.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

After twisting a 33-spline axle in my Strange 12-bolt, I wish I had the 9-inch, or better yet, the S-60 now available from Strange.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sspower23
Whats the best 12 bolt rear end out there for My 01 camaro ss? Im starting to upgrade My car so I thoguht it best to start from the rear. I wanna know where to buy from a complete "stout" 12 bolt rear end with 4.10s or 4.30s?? And ill I need anything else, better drive shaft?? Anything at all? Or will the stock parts work ok with the 12 bolt rear?

After that I will do heads & cam and full exhaust. Pls any help would be appreciated right now, cheers guys
If your car is strong enough to need a new rearend, it will be strong enough to snap a stock driveshaft

Moser 9" is about the same price.. that's what I got. Either way, save yourself the trouble and go ahead and order the LCA relocation brackets installed.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Default 12 bolt rear??

So all I need is the complete 12'' or 9'' rear end with a stronger drive shaft? What do I need for all of this to work? driveshft, rear end, what else specifically?? Cause I wanna purchase everything at once to install ALL at same time
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So all I need is the complete 12'' or 9'' rear end with a stronger drive shaft? What do I need for all of this to work? driveshft, rear end, what else specifically?? Cause I wanna purchase everything at once to install ALL at same time
Depends on your budget

EPP sells a 1" longer driveshaft with the 9". I reused the stock torque arm and sway bar.

I am assuming your car is a 6spd because you mentioned 4.30 gears, replacing the stock torque arm would probably be the best for you. At that point, it may be best to order the M9 or another Fab 9 because they come with a torque arm. So you have to spend the money anyways.

It's all up to you and your budget.

As far as parts for installation, everything is pretty much included. You will need to reuse your stock brake backing plates (or buy new ones) and have a shop press on axle bearings.

Then depending on the torque arm you choose, trans mounted or tunnel hump mount, you may want subframe connectors or t/a relocation mount. A T/A mounted on the transmission could stress the tailhousing and break it. Or a torque arm tunnel mounted could put extra stress on the floor pan and people recommend 3-point subframe connectors for that.

It is a never ending process and one thing leads to another.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jetlag
Depends on your budget

EPP sells a 1" longer driveshaft with the 9". I reused the stock torque arm and sway bar.

I am assuming your car is a 6spd because you mentioned 4.30 gears, replacing the stock torque arm would probably be the best for you. At that point, it may be best to order the M9 or another Fab 9 because they come with a torque arm. So you have to spend the money anyways.

It's all up to you and your budget.

As far as parts for installation, everything is pretty much included. You will need to reuse your stock brake backing plates (or buy new ones) and have a shop press on axle bearings.

Then depending on the torque arm you choose, trans mounted or tunnel hump mount, you may want subframe connectors or t/a relocation mount. A T/A mounted on the transmission could stress the tailhousing and break it. Or a torque arm tunnel mounted could put extra stress on the floor pan and people recommend 3-point subframe connectors for that.

It is a never ending process and one thing leads to another.
100% correct Matt.

Give me a call Monday morning and I can answer your questions. 260 244-4808.
The link here may help you out too. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540 Bob

Quick Reply: whats the best brand or type of 12 bolt rearend out there for 01 camaro ss