Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whoo! Bent axle!!! F-ing dumb drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoo! Bent axle!!! F-ing dumb drivers!

I had a car whip out of a parking spot along the side of a road and run me into a median, THEN DRIVE OFF after I do a complete 180 after smashing my rear driver tire on the curb.

My Torque Thrust 17x10 is cashed. They don't make that size anymore, so two new rims (17x11) and tires are ordered. There's $900!

I just know the axle HAS to be bent. The wheel wobbles like no other. Is it ok to replace an axle in this type of situation, or just get a whole other rear end? I don't want a 12 bolt just yet(funny thing is I always said I'd use a broken 10 bolt as my excuse to get one, but not in these circumstances).

How do you replace an axle shaft? Is it difficult? Does anybody know where I can get one for cheap? It's a four channel (ABS and traction) rear end, so I take it I would need a specific axle?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically your gonna hafta take off the differential cover, pull this block that keeps axles spaced, then pull the c-clip for that respective axle, then just put it all back together.

Not too bad.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to just replace the axle, if the tube isn't bent. You should be able to check the axle without a wheel on there. Just spin it around by hand and watch to see if it wobbles.

To change the axle.

1.) remove wheel, caliper and bracket and rotor

2.) remove diff cover (remove bottom bolts first and leave one bolt on the top loose, pry the bottom off with a screwdriver with a drain pan underneath, then remove the top bolt.)

3.) There should be a pin that runs through the center of the carrier with a small bolt that runs through it. Remove the small bolt and the large pin that runs through the carrier.

4.) Push in on the axle flange and remove the c-clip. Pull the axle out of the rear end.

Reverse the procedure to re-install.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Just outta curiosity, do you guys use gaskets on that diff cover, or just silicone?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use silicone. Just either make a good bead or fay surface seal it.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help guys. i'll get my wheels in next week and when I take the current ones off I'll scope it out and give it a few spins. like I said, I'm pretty positive it's going to be bent too

Is there a good possibility the rotor got bent too? On my way home I noticed a pulsating feeling when i pushed in the brake, and I could here a brand new scraping/squealing with the rotation of the rotor. Could a bent axle or rim cause this, or should I plan on a new rotor too?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be. Hard to tell without seeing it, but with the new noise I would count on it being bent too.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Launching!

If you do that axle you might as well at least do the seal cause it might be damaged...not too bad of a job and if you want to go further you can do the bearing but you'll have to judge it when you take the axle out if they are scratched and what not.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Brake rotors usually don't bend, they brake. Because of all the heat cycles. My guess is like you assume, axle or houseing is bent, and causeing brakes to pulse. More than likely just the axle since if the houseing was bent, then the brakes would move with it and not pulse. Good luck, and thanks for the tip on just silicone. I thought thats what most did.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Just outta curiosity, do you guys use gaskets on that diff cover, or just silicone?
Silicone works, but there is this stuff called "Right Stuff" that is the cats ***!!!!! Kinda expensive, like $30 for a "cheeze-whiz" sized can, but it is hands down the best stuff Ive used. Any parts store should carry it, I know Ive picked it up at Oreilly, Napa, and CarQuest........