Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop

Hi guys,

The new season starts in about a month for me ... I put the car away in pretty bruised shape last fall, and I want to work everything out right at the beginning of this spring.

In addition to suspecting bent pushrods, I have also experienced a lot more wheel hop than I ever did before. There was one instance, in the burnout box, when I felt a bang when I dropped the clutch, and began to feel my right rear wheel bouncing up and down like mad. Since then, I have experienced wheel hop on every launch, and even when downshifting at high speeds for passing and highway sprints. It definitely never showed up like this before that incident. I am thinking a new tranny mount may be on order? That sounds simple enough -- is there anything else I should inspect that may be causing this problem?

Thanks for your help... counting down the days to March 12
Old 02-09-2004, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

By the way... these are my mods:

MTI airlid, K&N filter, TByrne MAF ends, SLP bellows, B&M shifter, PPC long tube headers w/ off-road y-pipe, Corsa cat-back, and BFG T/A KDW 275's.

All of these mods were installed prior to the incident I described above.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wheel hop was bad, but some bmr lower control arms, relocation brackets, and torque arm really helped that out.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Launching!

I would have to agree with Smokin01TA. A set of LCA's, brakets, torque arm, panhard bar, and sub frame connectors should solve that problem. You can probly get the complete setup from BMR for about 850 with tax and shipping with poly bushings.

Enjoy

Nakoz
Old 02-09-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i forgot the sub frames, but the phr wont help with traction.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Hmm... well, I guess what I am trying to assess is whether or not you guys think something may have broken. I didn't experience any problems with wheel hop before that incident.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

you still leaving a good 2 tire tread on burnout. maby the posi?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
you still leaving a good 2 tire tread on burnout. maby the posi?
I was kinda thinking that... since I only felt the right wheel acting like this. But most of the people I have talked to told me to look at the tranny mount as the probable culprit. How much would a new posi unit run? Hard to install?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

i think they are around 400 bucks? not sure. if mine goes out im going with a spool next go around. i dont drive mine all day so eating tires dont bother me at 20 miles a week. not hard to install if you know a little bit about spacing the gears right. you should be able to almost pull it out and put the new one right in using the same spacers if you are lucky. just keep track of what spacers cam out of what side. i did this once and it worked great for 1,000 miles till i sold the car.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Jay....

Check the trans mount & get a urethane one.

Check your torque arm to see if it's bent at all (or cracked)... and, install a urethane torque arm mount (replacing the rubber one on the side of the trans) if the arm is OK and you are going to continue to use it.

The bushings in the control arm may be shot too. A set of rod end arms (with teflon liners in the ends) will do wonders.

A torque arm wouldn't hurt... but is more $$$ too.

Here's my torque arm.... before & after:

Gordon
PPC

Last edited by M3EATER; 03-06-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

You may have broken your torque arm from the sounds of it... I know a local guy here who cracked his stock torque arm on a hard launch with pretty much a stock suspension.

Since you've done quite a few bolt-on HP mods, I'd concentrate your mod money on suspension components for now... get the SFCs to shore up any squeaks and rattles, then go with LCAs, a new torque arm, maybe a bigger rear sway bar, poly bushings/endlinks and a poly trans mount. All those things should kill your wheel hop before the wheel hop kills your rear end.