Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion bearing slipping off

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pinion bearing slipping off

So my rear differential was leaking in my 98 z28 auto with 3.23, has been for a while. So i take it to the dealer to have the pinion seal replaced and topped off with fluid. Cost me about $140 which isn't too bad. Heres the kicker, the guy told me that a bearing that is machined pressed onto the pinion gear unit is slipping on and off which it should be pressed on. He said this is why the seal fail, the bearing backed up and hit the seal eating it away, thus a leak. He said that he doesn't know how long the new seal will last, depending when the bearing hits it again. He also said that it could potentially lock-up although he made it clear that it was a worst case scenario. Now for the best part, $1800 to fix it, 1,100 for parts and 700 for labor. I am not going to worry about it too much, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say about this. Also, would a new rear-end, like a 9 inch that I see in the gp/sales area going for like 900, would that include the part that I need or what? No sense getting the same part from GM when I can get a new stronger one. Am i way off, I don't know much about rear-ends. Thanks.
-Kyle
Old 03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Find a new dealer fast. The pinion bearing that is next to the seal is not pressed on to the pinion. The pinion bearing on the other side of the crush collar is the one that is pressed on to the pinion. I'll bet they didn't pull the carrier and replace the crush collar either. Any grease monkey (I won't use the word mechanic or tech) who doesn't know about the 2 different pinion bearings has no business replacing a pinion seal. I'll bet he did a good job setting the bearing preload. IMO, he is covering his *** because he did the half *** seal replacement and didn't properly reset the bearing preload and probably doesn't know how.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's also ripping you off.. What exactly are you getting for $1100?! And $700 in labor?!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I call BS!!!
Too bad your not in Dallas. I'd send you to a guy that would fix you right up. upgrade gears (GM), master install kit, labor, all fluids "synthetic" for $400.00 out the door!
Too bad....... Good luck.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Man thats scary. I rebuilt my entire rear end with new Strange/US Gear gears, gorgeous new Moser axles with reluctor ring adaptors, a new SLP Torsen, a complete Raytech rebuild kit, and a rear end girdle for around $900. How the HECK can he charge you $1100 for stock parts???

Run man. Run fast. And his explanation for why your pinion was leaking is so far off the charts its horrifying!

Here's the problem. You cannot just pop the old seal off and put a new one on. You need to take the whole thing apart and install a new crush sleeve and go thru the entire process of setting the bearing drag, etc. These rear ends are literally too lightweight, and any imperfection in the setup will accelerate failure at an exponential rate. I've never seen such an unforgiving rear end in my entire life. So when you get this work done, make sure its done by a pro. This mechanic of your's is lying. Your pinion will continue to leak and he know's this... because he knows he did not fix it correctly. The bearing cannot "hit" the seal. Man that just makes me sick.

He thinks you're a mortgage payment. Just get away from him.

I hope you the best.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks all for the input, and that makes me feel better. I knew that 1100 was way too much for the parts, or at least hoping it was. So what you guys are telling me is that he didn't replace the seal correctly, and it will leak again? I live in Ventura County near Los Angeles, any suggestions on where i could take my car to get it fixed correctly, maybe even upgrade to something stronger? Would you guys suggest I replace anything, or find a new place to take a look at it, maybe a place that sepcializes in 4t gen f-bodies or any sponsors sell what I need in a package/how much? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1800 For a few hundred more you could get a 12 bolt. That guys blowing smoke up your a$$. I would take it somewhere else. If the rear does need to be taken apart, you might as well get some gears and install kit from one of the sponsers to at least get some benefit out of the work being done.
I'm not sure what the cost on a gear install is but I can tell you it with the new gears and install kit will definitely be well under $1800. Good luck.

Here's a couple links:

http://www.tbyrne.com/ls1catalog.html
SLP Gears

One of the best ways to increase your cars performance is to lower your rear axle ratio ( numerically higher) SLP offers the following ratios for the GM 7.5" & 7.625" differential found in 1993 - 2002 Camaro & Firebird and some S- series trucks. 3.42:1, 3.73:1, 4.10:1 Manufactured to OEM specs and tolerances allowing for long life and quiet operation..

* SLP 4:10 Gear sets require 64002 paddle kit for installation with Torsen differentials.

Part Number Item Price
64048 SLP 3.42 gears $239.99
64046 SLP 3.73 gears $239.99
64045 SLP 4.10 gears $239.99
64002 SLP Paddle kit for 4.10 gears $169.99
64047 SLP gear installation kit $119.99

Package 5
Better throttle response and quicker ETs are what you will see with this package. Besides recalibrating your speedometer after the gear change, the HPP3 will also upgrade your fuel and ignition curves, raise the rev limiter, eliminate any top speed governor and turn the fans on earlier.

Part Number Item Price
gearpac98 1998 Camaro/Firebird $569.99*
gearpac99 1999 Camaro/Firebird $569.99*
gearpac00 2000 Camaro/Firebird $569.99*
gearpac01 2001 Camaro/Firebird $569.99*
gearpac02 2002 Camaro/Firebird $569.99*
*Please specify 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...ategoryid=1066
Rear End Gears

For quicker acceleration and maximum power through the entire RPM range, install gears in a lower ratio than stock. Vehicles from the factory come equipped with gears that are engineered for fuel economy, not power. This inexpensive modification will help you put the rubber to the street!

Complete Gear Package
for GM 7.5" 10 Bolt Rear Ends

Thunder Racing has combined everything you need for your professional gear install...all in one convenient package!
MOTIVE Gears, in your choice of ratio...3.42, 3.73 or 4.10
Or, STRANGE Gears (2 or 3 series carrier) for $35 additional
RATECH Complete Gear Installation Kit
2 Quarts RED LINE Synthetic Gear Oil
1 Bottle GM Limited Slip Differential Additive
TA Performance Rear End Cover Girdle
TA Performance Stud Kit
$399.99

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 03-05-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Dealer rebuilt my stock rear - replaced everything in the housing - cost $2100 parts and labor. Only reason why I had them do it is because everything was covered by the extended warranty company including a rental.

If this was out of my pocket a 12 bolt would have been purchased.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry guys but your dealer mechanic can not afford to take apart a complete rearend just to replaced the pinion seal and then get paid 1.3 flat rate hours for doing it, unless he likes mac and cheese. Althought oviously this guy has no clue. A pinion seal can be replaced without disturbing the pinion if the rearend has not been abused enough to loose the torque on it. If you mark the relationship of the pinion nut to the yoke, and then retighten it to the same place you have replaced the seal without disturbing it. If overtightened then you are screwed and a new crush sleeve in order. Also dealer prices are super expensive($700 gear sets). Of course their not going to give you a break on the prices because they need to make money to cover their huge overhead. If you think the prices are high, no ones making you fix it thier (unless ext warr.). Go find yourself a good rearend builder and get a 12 or 9 in thier. Of course all of this is just in my opinion. good luck.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone, awesome suggestions. I really appreciate all the knowledge this boards offers, and all the different opinion. I guess I will just wait until I start to notice more leaking or noise, then worry about it. I was thinking maybe find one in a junk yard, or start to seriously shop around. So what you guys are telling me is that the only thing needing to be replaced is the gears in the rear, like a gear package as if you were to re-gear the ratio? I have 3.23 and I do like 2500 rpm @ 75mph, what would my rpms look like with 3.42? Would it be worth it, or just stick with 3.23?
-Kyle
Old 03-08-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Sorry guys but your dealer mechanic can not afford to take apart a complete rearend just to replaced the pinion seal and then get paid 1.3 flat rate hours for doing it, unless he likes mac and cheese. Althought oviously this guy has no clue. A pinion seal can be replaced without disturbing the pinion if the rearend has not been abused enough to loose the torque on it. If you mark the relationship of the pinion nut to the yoke, and then retighten it to the same place you have replaced the seal without disturbing it. If overtightened then you are screwed and a new crush sleeve in order. Also dealer prices are super expensive($700 gear sets). Of course their not going to give you a break on the prices because they need to make money to cover their huge overhead. If you think the prices are high, no ones making you fix it thier (unless ext warr.). Go find yourself a good rearend builder and get a 12 or 9 in thier. Of course all of this is just in my opinion. good luck.
If it is a case that GM has not written into their service procedures the proper way to replace the seal then that is just an indication that we shouldn't take our vehicles there for that work plain and simple.

And I have this question for you. How in the world can you just mark the pinion nut take it off and just retighten it. That by far is the wrong way to do it because the preload comes from how far the sleeve has been crushed in relation to the pinion bearing separation. Now what I could see if maybe taking a reading with a torque meter prior to the removal of the pinion and installing a new one torquing it to those specs. Granted that is the wrong way to do it but that is not as bad just leaving the old crushed unit in there.

Last edited by kossuth; 03-08-2004 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Right out of GM's service manual:

Mark the position of the following components before disassembly:
  • The drive pinion gear yoke (1)
  • The drive pinion gear
  • The drive pinion gear nut This action will ensure that the correct drive pinion gear inner and outer bearing preload can be maintained.
  1. [*]
I have done maybe 1000+ pinion seals this way over the years, only time it doesnt work is if someone didnt do it right once before or the pinion nut loosened up.

I dont know what the guy was talking about the pinion bearing but most likely a service writer was trying to drum up some pay work..
Old 03-08-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks KP, GMs procedure works every time, except if the pinion bearings are already shot or if someone is has already overtightened it previously.

Also, kossuth, can you tell me this is the wrong way from experience or what you have heard because there is a big difference. This is GMs way and they have a lot more experience than all of us. Do you dissasemble the entire rearend every time to do a pinion seal???
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM

This is an old post but is the guy in Dallas 01Z0H6 refers to still around? I have a 2002 Camaro SS in Arlington that needs help....hopefully only pinion bearings. Thanks!

Originally Posted by clotus
So my rear differential was leaking in my 98 z28 auto with 3.23, has been for a while. So i take it to the dealer to have the pinion seal replaced and topped off with fluid. Cost me about $140 which isn't too bad. Heres the kicker, the guy told me that a bearing that is machined pressed onto the pinion gear unit is slipping on and off which it should be pressed on. He said this is why the seal fail, the bearing backed up and hit the seal eating it away, thus a leak. He said that he doesn't know how long the new seal will last, depending when the bearing hits it again. He also said that it could potentially lock-up although he made it clear that it was a worst case scenario. Now for the best part, $1800 to fix it, 1,100 for parts and 700 for labor. I am not going to worry about it too much, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say about this. Also, would a new rear-end, like a 9 inch that I see in the gp/sales area going for like 900, would that include the part that I need or what? No sense getting the same part from GM when I can get a new stronger one. Am i way off, I don't know much about rear-ends. Thanks.
-Kyle
Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Find a new dealer fast. The pinion bearing that is next to the seal is not pressed on to the pinion. The pinion bearing on the other side of the crush collar is the one that is pressed on to the pinion. I'll bet they didn't pull the carrier and replace the crush collar either. Any grease monkey (I won't use the word mechanic or tech) who doesn't know about the 2 different pinion bearings has no business replacing a pinion seal. I'll bet he did a good job setting the bearing preload. IMO, he is covering his *** because he did the half *** seal replacement and didn't properly reset the bearing preload and probably doesn't know how.
Originally Posted by ynneK
He's also ripping you off.. What exactly are you getting for $1100?! And $700 in labor?!
Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
I call BS!!!
Too bad your not in Dallas. I'd send you to a guy that would fix you right up. upgrade gears (GM), master install kit, labor, all fluids "synthetic" for $400.00 out the door!
Too bad....... Good luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Coulda just sent a PM or whatever

Quick Reply: pinion bearing slipping off