Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Questions?! Help pls

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Questions?! Help pls

Well I'm new to this first of all I can't figure out why I can't get my differential together.

Last week I messed up my car racing an SS and I what I thought happened was that I messed up my clutch because I couldn't put in gear.
I got home took off the differential cover and my gears were shredded! So I thought no big deal, I'll just upgrade to 4:10 (which are the best choice to go with on a 02 TransAm 6 speed right??) so when I took off my posi unit it turns out I cracked it!! So I was looking for a posi unit ASAP and I didn't want to order 1 because of the wait. I got lucky and found a whole differential off an 02 Camaro SS AUTO. I heard it was the same thing as my TransAm except the standards and Autos had different gears. So I said no big head I just need the posi unit off it. So now it turns out that I have I have a space and it's not fitting as it was with the possi I originally had. I compared the posi units next to each other and they're about the same height expect the little teeth off the camaros possi are not as thick as the ones off my original possi. Also another thing I noticed was that the pinion off the Camaro differential was WAY bigger than the one I had. I heard to buy some spacers but is that safe or there anything else I can do?!?! I hope I explained this good enough for somebody to understand my situation. ANY help is appreciated THANKS!

PS. I bought already my 4:10 gears too.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum! Looks like you went from bad to worse. Your rear has a broken 3 series carrier, it sounds like the rear you bought has a 2 series carrier. The different carriers use specific ring and pinions that work with them and they are not interchangable (there is a ring gear spacer available but its use is not recommended).
Thank you FirstYrLS1Z for picture.

Read the sticky at the top of the page. The work you're about to undertake requires skill and knowledge.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

you're welcome for the pic !
as stated above,the carrier you acquired is incoorect.
Your 02 6 speed would have had a Torsen 3 series carrier with 3.42 gears.
The 02 auto could have had either a 2 series Torsen with 2.73 gears OR a 3 series Torsen with 3.23 gears. You got the 2 series as indicated by a large pinion and the fact that you ended up with a space.
A spacer is available but not recommended,if it were a non-performance vehicle,a spacer MIGHT be ok to use,but since you've got 4.10s you're afer perfomance.
You NEED a 3 series carrier.

As in the pic,they make 4.10s' for a 2 series carrier,but you've already have 4.10s' for a 3 series.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! now I understand I just thought they were the same For some reason! So the only difference between the 2 and 3 carrier are the spaces?? Also I'm not sure what year differential I bought I just know it was an auto SS.

I still have the reciept for my gears so I can exchange them, now my next question is would I just have to swap out the whole differentials and buy a 2 series gears or would I just swap possis and gears and use the same housing, etc...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

It could have been the gears that you bought.

Are the original gears and the new gears the same thickness? See the 2nd pic posted above.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

because of the 'largeness' of the 2.73 & 3.08 pinions,a carrier with a ring gear flange farther away from pinion centerline is required.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Well I talked to a guy he said they don't make 2 series Carrier 4:10 and to use the spacers... I'm not sure why to do anymore lol... Spacers or no spacers??
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

I just checked Summit Racings web site and they sell 2 series carrier 4.10 ring and pinions manufactured by Strange Engineering, Richmond Gear and their own Summit brand gears that do NOT require a spacer. The person you're talking to is at the least not very well informed.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Thank you I'll search that right now. He said he did an Ls3 swap on a 02 Trans Am and he said he used the spacers and nothing's happened and everything went well. I called Pyle Bros at Baytown, Tx a very very reliable good reputation differential shop and they said nothing was wrong with using the spacers. So this is where I'm stuck lol
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

If you end up using a spacer,check(with a good micrometer) its' thickness at many spots to verify it's the same everywhere. I've got some spacers that vary in thickness and as the thickness varies,the 'lash' changes due to the ring gear moving towards and away from as the ring gear/differential rotates.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I'm buying the spacers I hope i'm not doing the wrong choice. I really don't feel like waiting for the 2 series carrier. 4:10's to come in either and at this shop
They have the spacers in stock
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Default diff

just curious. did you get the whoel differential or just the pumpkin part.
(posi w gears). reason iom asking is that you should just stick it all into the camaro diff unbolt yours and bolt on the camaro diff into your T/A.
its actually an easier job than to swap gears if you dont have the exp.

If you are going to do the gear swap anyways, order from summit the spacer install kit for ring gears if you havent already done so.
it brings shims and new bearings.

the last thing you want to do is have new gears burned out or rubbed becuase of a bad bearing or misalignment.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Differential Questions?! Help pls