Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

First Attempt At Gear Installation. Reassurance Needed. Paddle Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Attempt At Gear Installation. Reassurance Needed. Paddle Kit?

Hey guys, I finally ordered a set of Moser 3.73s for my 02 Z28.

The car has 66,000 miles on the original 10 bolt and doesn't get beaten too hard. Never sees the track. It has a 3 series carrier and is a 4 channel.

The car is an automatic with a 3200 converter and factory 3.23s and makes no noise whatsoever.

I will be doing the install thursday with a buddy. He is a manager at Advanced auto here in my town and it's a block from his house where we are doing the install. As of now I don't plan on replacing anything but the ring, pinion, crush sleeve, gasket, and fluid, however if the bearings are pitted or look bad I like knowing we can run a block over and get them from his shop...I'm just in a pinch financially and can save a good chunk of change not replacing them all.

I plan to follow this guide as much as possible: http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56

however, having never messed with a rear end before I am both worried and excited as this will be a learning experience but I really hope I don't **** anything up.

I just wanted to make this thread beforehand and see if there are any newbie mistakes that you might be able to bring to my attention.

And one last thing. Being a 3 series, 4 channel, 3.23 car will I be able to move up to the 3.73s without the paddle kit?

Thanks fellas.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my advice, its worth what you paid for it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1550464-advice-those-thinking-doing-their-own-gears.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1541712-anyone-care-read-my-paint.html

If you dont have bad *** bearing removal and install tools you will definitely be replacing the inner pinion bearing...probably multiple times.

No need for paddle kit, just grind.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

4.10s' require a SLP split paddle kit (no longer available) or grinding the OEM paddle.
3.73s' SHOULD NOT require paddle grinding,if they do,the grinding would be very slight.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys

therabidweasel: Damn man you had really poor luck with your install. I hope mine goes much smoother.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I hope my notes there help people. I really didnt know what I was getting into and while im reasonably experienced and own a lot of tools there are little tidbits of knowledge that can save you a lot of time.

I think I could do it again much more easily, especially if it wasnt stretched over so much time...it wasnt bad luck, it was just ignorance. Theres really only one way to get rid of that, learn.

Good luck man, youll do fine. Single best info I can give you is to pull the rear and hog out a set of setup pinion bearings. My stock pinion shim wasnt even close.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, watch the replacement shim iD. I had to hog out each one I tried so it didnt ride on the chamfer on the pinion shaft.

There are also two different pinion seals. If you search around you can find threads describing the difference. They are not interchangeable.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Having an extra set of pinion bearings so you can hog out the stockers is the best/easiest way ESPECIALLY since this is you first time. You may get lucky but most of the time getting the gears setup requires multiple removals which is a pain in the butt if you are trying to reuse bearings. And, you aren't supposed to reuse the inner (bigger) bearing after removal. It's good practice to replace it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

make sure you get the shim out of the stock pinion under the bearing. Youll have to cut it. Also, get an extra pack of crush sleeves since this is your first time, you can find those at the help section at the parts store and theyre like $5.

Quick Reply: First Attempt At Gear Installation. Reassurance Needed. Paddle Kit?