Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10bolt Rear end mayhem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10bolt Rear end mayhem

So, long story short, I'm no good at setting up a rear end properly, and shredded the pinion teeth off my 4.10 gears within 500miles, eh, live and learn, then pay a professional. Lesson learned.

I then bought a used rear for $100 from Craigslist. Guy assured me it was from a 3ch manual trans car, and he was getting rid of it for a fabbed 9 inch. Swapped it out with mine. Turns out it's a 4ch from an auto. Definitely not the 3.42 gears, and not 1, but 2 separate gps devices show me be going 76-78 when my speedo shows 70. It's also got either a worn axle, or bearing and my ABS no longer works due to the incompatible 4ch rear.

My parking brake needed adjusting after swapping the rear, no big deal, except the adjuster screw thing on the backing plate on the driver side is completely locked up and won't turn no matter how long i tapped at it. Passenger side was fine and adjusted fine.

My question is I guess, if I get new wheel bearings, can I just swap the backing plates and axles from my 3ch rear onto this one? I mean, ABS already doesn't work, and I'd at least be able to adjust my parking brake to work.. it's getting old having to leave it in gear to park, I don't like having the strain the trans when parking on hills or whatnot all the time, or the line lock if it's a quick in and out somewhere.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99T/A_No0b
So, long story short, I'm no good at setting up a rear end properly, and shredded the pinion teeth off my 4.10 gears within 500miles, eh, live and learn, then pay a professional. Lesson learned.

I then bought a used rear for $100 from Craigslist. Guy assured me it was from a 3ch manual trans car, and he was getting rid of it for a fabbed 9 inch. Swapped it out with mine. Turns out it's a 4ch from an auto. Definitely not the 3.42 gears, and not 1, but 2 separate gps devices show me be going 76-78 when my speedo shows 70. It's also got either a worn axle, or bearing and my ABS no longer works due to the incompatible 4ch rear.

My parking brake needed adjusting after swapping the rear, no big deal, except the adjuster screw thing on the backing plate on the driver side is completely locked up and won't turn no matter how long i tapped at it. Passenger side was fine and adjusted fine.

My question is I guess, if I get new wheel bearings, can I just swap the backing plates and axles from my 3ch rear onto this one? I mean, ABS already doesn't work, and I'd at least be able to adjust my parking brake to work.. it's getting old having to leave it in gear to park, I don't like having the strain the trans when parking on hills or whatnot all the time, or the line lock if it's a quick in and out somewhere.

You certainly can swap the backing plates from Your 3-ch housing to the 4-ch housing. As You said the ABS does not work so nothing will change there.

All You have to do is pull the axles, dis connect the parking brake and remove 4 bolts on the backing plates
then reverse for assembly.

Carl
Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

3 and 4 channel axles are different. If you have your old axles and backing plates you can swap those into that new rear end and everything should work fine. Speedo can be corrected with software like hptuners.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

410's in a 10 bolt behind a m6 car is notorious for tearing up pinions quickly, tiny little pinion with 4.10's in a 7.5 so don't be so hard on yourself
Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

From the original post,he wanted a 3 channel and got a 4 channel. Swapping backing plates and axles won't accomplish anything,the reluctor on the carrier is needed and a 4 channel rear wouldn't have the hole machined in for the 3 channel sensor.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good catch, yeah I was half asleep when I read this.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, at least swapping the backing plate with my good axles will take care of the 'wobble' of the bad axle/wheel bearing, and I can adjust and fix the parking brake and get it working then.

Now a dumb question because I'm too lazy to go look right now in the dark.. where the wheel bearings are pressed in, is that in the backing plate itself? Would be sweet if it were so, because my 3ch has brand new ones that I put in it when I was "fixing" my rear...

Edit: if not, maybe if I'm really careful I could remove the new wheel bearings without destroying them and use them in the other rear? Or would that not be ideal and just be asking for trouble?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Axle bearing & seal are pressed into the end of the axle tube and are not part of the 'backing plate'. Axle bearing 'pullers' typically deform the bearing cage when pulling them out as they're being pulled out to replace and not re-use.

Quick Reply: 10bolt Rear end mayhem