Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bent axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bent axle

So A friend has bent his axle shattered his rim after hitting a curb when he lost control of the car during the rain. So we got a replacement rim and when he started to drive the car i noticed a squeek when closer inspection came I thought the rotor was bent because it was hitting the brake pad. Once we took the rotor off it was flat and perfect like nothing happened. So i looked at the axle hub and it was bent...

My question is how do i change the axle out. I have a new one awaiting to be put in.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 AM
dug
Banned

ttt ttt
Old 10-27-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help to know what year/type of vehicle this is since there are several different procedures for getting to the axles.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Launching!

2002 pontiac firebird
Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a quick write-up on the removal procedure. If you have an Auburn diff, it may look a little different, but not much.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=remove+axle

Here's a site showing a gear change with pics. It's a bigger ring gear axle, but the procedure is the same as our 7.5./7.625 rear axle . Skip over the parts about the gear change and check out the pics about removing the c-clips and you'll get the idea.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/
Old 02-12-2005, 08:18 PM
TR
On The Tree

I have a KTRE 12-bolt in my Camaro and need to pull the axles out (I think they're bent).

Aside from changing the gear oil, I've never worked on a diff / axles before and was hoping somone could tell me if the steps described above are applicable to a 12-bolt? When I had it installed I also specified a C-clip eliminator kit, will this bring me any surprises or headaches?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TR
I have a KTRE 12-bolt in my Camaro and need to pull the axles out (I think they're bent).

Aside from changing the gear oil, I've never worked on a diff / axles before and was hoping somone could tell me if the steps described above are applicable to a 12-bolt? When I had it installed I also specified a C-clip eliminator kit, will this bring me any surprises or headaches?

Thanks in advance!
It'll be easier for you. Just drain the fluid and pull the brakes and backing plate and pull the axle out. You wont need to pull the cover. It will take some persuasion to get the axle out though. A rubber mallet will make it easier.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 PM
TR
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, will the axles really just pull out? I really should know more about how they work, but can anyone give me a lesson on how the C-clip eliminator works?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 PM
TR
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TR
Thanks for the info, will the axles really just pull out? I really should know more about how they work, but can anyone give me a lesson on how the C-clip eliminator works?
Nevermind, a few minutes with "Search" and Google got me the learnin' I needed.