Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Swap in Cold weather??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Swap in Cold weather??

I finally have some extra cash to do my gear swap however, I'm worried about the break in period in this cold Wi weather. Is it bad to break in new gears in cold weather?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?.......... Need to know if I should wait til it warms up.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Not really. It doesnt matter, as long as you dont do any towing while they are breaking in, or do any long trips. You should run them in through a few cycles with no load anyway.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

I was just thinking about the heat cycle. It will take longer to warm up and shorter to cool down. I don't want to warp anything if that it possible.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Need a few more opinions please.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

U should be fine cause i mean its not make that much difference in the heating in cooling process. THere will rearend fluid in there so it should compinsate some what for the weather conditions. I didn't wait for the break in cycle. I raced on the way home from picking my car up.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, from all the info ive gathered, its the heat that kills the rear, not the load. As you apply load on the gears the microfine abrasive texture of the gear faces mushrooms flat, much like the way metals are "shot peened". In this way, short WOT blasts are actually not bad for breaking in a gear. The problem arises when too much heat is generated. When the gears are new and the metal still has this micro-texture, more friction occurs between teeth generating more heat, which could bake the oil and burn the gears.

When I broke in my gears, I was gentle at first, but if i had to do it again, id probably be a little more agressive in the beginning, but id keep it limited to some short trips.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

When you say short trips how many mile 10-15 or less?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:20 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Actually, from all the info ive gathered, its the heat that kills the rear, not the load.
That is true, but a load creates heat. When you are breaking them in the idea is to get them to operating temperature and then let them cool, that sets the heat treat. If you overheat them once in ruins the heat treat and the gears are short lived. That is why it isnt that uncommon to see a RV go through 2 rears back-to-back, they usually arent broken in right and are always under a load.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id say start real short, maybe around the block normally once or twice. Then let it cool for an hour or two. Then take it up the road a ways maybe a mile or two, then back, and let cool another couple hours. Then maybe take it for a 10 - 15 mile trip with some medium acceleration. Then let cool. After that, id say just drive wherever you have to, and every time you drive it (after its cooled off) you can get on it a little more. Thats probably what I would do next time i swap gears.