Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi Dead?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Posi Dead?????

99 SS 3800stall

i just installed my new bmr torqre arm everything is tight on there and fine....i took it out and launched it prity good(street tires) and i went left and right........ today i punched it only went sideways to the left,,,after an hour i get this bad tinking noise in the back which you can hear outside like someone put a baseball card in my wheel HA but i put it up on jack stand and spun one wheel,,, lookd at the other side it wasent moving........isnt it usually supose to spin opposite from each other????

well the tink is loud,,, and when i spun the wheel teh other side would move a little then stop,, so i spun it reely hard and teh other side spun a lil then stopped??? so im clueless cuz i alredy have a rear main seal leak dripping from the trans bellhousing, and my Shift silinoid light on Damnit... what yous guys think?????????
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

I think you broke something in the rear, more than likely spider gears in the carrier from your description. Only way to find out is to take off the cover. You'll more than likely see a whole bunch of metal chunks and slivers stuck to the magnet on the cover. Good news is, if your ring and pinion gears are in good condition, you'll just need to replace the carrier which is not all that hard. Tell us what you find.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

how does that cost?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

how much does that cost
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

also i noticed when i changed my torque arm when i took the back bolts out,, some rearend fluid came out too not alot but Quarter(coin)sized puddle???
Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Depends on how much you can find a carrier for. I think I bought mine (used) for about $100 and I installed it myself. You'll also need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the back lash of the new carrier. This is only if you busted the carrier and nothing else. Take a look inside, tell us what you find and we can give you a better estimate of how much $$$ it's going to take to fix it.

About the fluid coming out when removing the two bolts from the torque arm, I'm not sure why you would have any fluid coming out. You shouldn't have any leaking when taking out the torque arm bolts, unless the fluid came from the pinion seal. Our 10-bolts are prone to leaking from there.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

lol ok its prity stupid,,, i went underneath to have a good look and a zip tie was hitting the driveshaft making a metal klanging noise....hahaha what a Scare man,,,, sumtin stupid to talk about to ur frends hahaha
Old 08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

?