Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Locker...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detroit Locker...

Where's the best place to buy just the locker unit (but the unit as a whole) and which one do I need? I did some research and I get all these crazy part numbers that I don't understand...

I've got a center section rebuilt by a guy on this board with 31 spline axles and one of the springs inside the locker busted. Well, after paying $460 to replace that spring I found out that the broken spring rounded the 'teeth' on the pinion side of the locker and now it likes to 'slip' into and out of lock with a pretty embarassing SNAP... it almost sounds like my pinion is jumping teeth on the ring gear but my gears were adjusted for perfect backlash by the best 9" guy in Nashville so I know that's not the case. It also instead of clicking through corners goes 'chunka-chunka-chunka' and pops the free play in the rear end around. I know driving a locker is rough, but this is ridiculous. It's nothing like the locker in my friend's car (exact same center section, there should be no noticeable differences between them). I just want to replace it with a new one and be done with this busted one, but if any of ya'll know the best place to get one that has reasonable prices I'd appreciate it. I can't keep dropping more and more money on this rear and expect to finish the rest of the car, lol.

Thanks for ya'lls help!
--Cameron
Old 09-21-2005, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

3wks ago I received "Detroit Locker... " 28 spline to fit my 10 bolt 519. 00 shipped, from Summitracing.com
Old 10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

I get the chunka chunka sound as well I think in my case its backlash
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
3wks ago I received "Detroit Locker... " 28 spline to fit my 10 bolt 519. 00 shipped, from Summitracing.com
When you say Detroity Locker. Do you mean a locker like we have stock in our cars but made by Detroit Locker or is it like the original detroit locker?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
When you say Detroity Locker. Do you mean a locker like we have stock in our cars but made by Detroit Locker or is it like the original detroit locker?
we dont have a lockers in our stock cars.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how old your locker is , but if it's not that old it should be under warranty. Also the lockers , even the soft locker like I've got can do a lot of clunking and clacking. Give Detroit locker a call , start with customer servie and go to engineering if necessary. Very nice people. Big difference between them and the jerks at Strange.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i understand, his locker was hurt when the rear end got hurt. Not nessecarily a age problem, but more that the rear was broken at some point, and the locker seems to have taken a small problem that has gotten worse over time.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by co.6z28
we dont have a lockers in our stock cars.
if u have posi u got a locker of some type
Old 10-04-2005, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS SLP2

I have the "original detroit locker", I would like to add a footnote, after adding the " real detroit locker" I was getting a lot of slack noise , knowing backlash and all setup was correct , begain looking to find abnornal noise , axle splines all look very good
( 61k) added new moser axles, after doing nothing more than adding new axles now the " real detroit locker" has very little slack, >very quite other than click in turning< and I repete my axles looked good
my .02' Johnny
Old 10-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
if u have posi u got a locker of some type
No you don't.

A posi is just a generic term for a limited-slip differential, be it gear, cone, clutch, little green men, whatever. You can't put ALL the power to one wheel while the other one is off the ground if you have a posi. You can with a locker(speaking from experience).

As far as getting a 9" unit, try eBay. They go for a lot less than Summit wants for them... just look around for a new or slightly used one.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Always got some wise asses on the net. Locker is also a generic term. So generic that auto makers use it. Ford used to have one called a trac loc. GM commonly says locking differential for posi rears. No big deal. Off topic as hell now too.

Back on subject. What part number from Summit was the detroit locker for the 10 bolt.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Hey... you're the one flaunting your ignorance. Educate yourself, bub.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ric
No you don't.

A posi is just a generic term for a limited-slip differential, be it gear, cone, clutch, little green men, whatever. You can't put ALL the power to one wheel while the other one is off the ground if you have a posi. You can with a locker(speaking from experience).

As far as getting a 9" unit, try eBay. They go for a lot less than Summit wants for them... just look around for a new or slightly used one.
When I took my cover off, mine were yellow! I think yours' was an upgrade.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I heard they had done something special to mine, but I wasn't sure... guess I know now!

I think I'm gonna put in some of the blue ones when I get ready to hit the strip, though. These boys look tired.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys need to figure out whats going on. A limited slip or "posi" is a differential that incorporates the use of friction disc is most cases. In sense the rear is not "locked" . If you hold one wheel and turn the other with a certain amount of torque the unit will "slip". On a locker the term locked is exactly what it means. There is a mechanical gear meshed together. No matter what those wheels are mechanically locked absolutly no slip. If you had one in the back of your ride you would hear a clicking sound from it disengaging on corner turns. You guys with M6s would have alot of jerking and pops turning corners at slow speed. All of you got a "limited slip" differential in your Camaro/Trans Am from the factory not a locker.
Locker example:

Posi "limited slip" example

Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I still want to know the part number to a detroit locker for a 10 bolt.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

www.tractech.com

They make the Detroit Locker. Happy hunting, bubba.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Full-Force

I will find the # on my invoice sat and post it for you ,after midnite now and kicked my boots off for tonite
later , Johnny
Old 10-08-2005, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Full-Force
hope this info helps, this is # for Detroit Locker ( NOT A soft locker)
DTL 162C59A (519.95 from summitracing.com did not have in stock so they drop shipped it,received in 4 days)
before warned>>this thing does ratchet in turns, does have some slack noice when changing forward to reverse and reverse to forward I install OE 3.23 ring and used same shims checked pattern - was still good and back lash 0.009 - 0.0085 ( had a great anount slack noice when first installed - rechecked back lask 3 times- check axle splines 3 times - looked very good (62k) never notice noice when changing forward to reverse and reverse to forward with OE AUBRUN carrier ( which @ 62K the pin which goes threw the spiders gear broke and elogated the carrier)BUT back to slack noise did replace OE Axles with MOSER # MSR-A102806 @$290.00 ( 4 channel WITHOUT the RELUCTOR ring for TRAC.CONTROL- must use the ones from OE Axles )from summit. AFTER only changing axles 90 percent of forward to reverse and reverse to forward noise GONE.
running OE 3.23'/10 bolt/ 7.50"/tubes welded/lakewood traction action lower control arms/TA Girdle/stud kit/air bags/ nitto's
NOW adding M/T's ET Street Drag Radials
KNOW 1 thing for sure, thie will rear will last- UNTILL IT BREAKS
sorry for the rambleing
good luck Johnny