Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Scary stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary stuff

On my way to work this morning I noticed my car had a little shake in the front end but it didn't seem too bad at all. I figured I'd check it out when I got home from work. Then when I was getting on the highway it got worse and worse the faster I went so I decided to pull over and check it out. Well, I pulled over to the side and found that I had one wheel stud and lug holding my passenger side tire on. I'm not sure how it happened since I haven't had that wheel off in months and have had no other trouble with it. I started thinking about the situation as I waited for the tow truck and its pretty scary how close I came to losing my car. Guess I've got something to do after work now.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

I sometimes think what would happen when I am screaming thru the traps near 120 with this happening
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Was your car left in a place where someone could mess with it? If you had four lugs missing, it sounds like maybe someone took them off your car.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Was your car left in a place where someone could mess with it? If you had four lugs missing, it sounds like maybe someone took them off your car.
Yeah, no ****. You mighta had a "lug-thug" lurking around your wheels.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm really not sure if I had them there this morning or not, but they're definitely gone now along with the studs. I usually don't check my legs before I hop in my car but I guess I might have to start.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some shmuck might have cost you your car.. or your life for some lug nuts.. ??? What is wrong with people.. is it really worth their time for lug nuts? Does someone have it out for you? I guess its a thief and not done with a vendetta because the person with a grudge would probably take them all off..

Glad you're ok man.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced all the wheel studs and lug nuts today after I got back from work. I didn't really trust the one stud that had kept me from crashing so I changed it out too. I'm still amazed that that one stud and lug held my tire on. The tow truck driver told me I had an angel watching over me
Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't look how old this thread was, but this JUST happened to me! At work, I found that I was missing one lug/stud. Later that night, I noticed that I only had 2 (side by side) studs left! Rear passenger side. I tried to figure out why they came off. It's like they sheared off or something. I have put new, bigger wheels on the car as well as some 285s out back.. but idk. At least I'm not the only one that has experienced this.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wait this has actually happened to me too. I had gone over a bump and sheared off 2 studs. The rest became lose and were wabbling around. almost missed the first turn off trying to stop with the wobble.