Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

The age old question, 12 bolt or 9 inch rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The age old question, 12 bolt or 9 inch rear?

I am looking to get a new rear for my 98 z28. I am beefing up the power a lot. Looking to run low 10's or possibly high 9's. But i am still keeping it a street use car. I mean i would use it at the drag strip once in a blue moon, but mostly on the street at a lower boost mind you. But would a 12 bolt suit my needs more if i am looking to make it more of a street car? I mean i don't want something to break if i take it the track the few times i may be running it. Also, what is the draw back with not having ABS? And also, since i am keeping it more of a street car, what gears would you guys recommend for street use? I mean more than likely i am not going to be good at launches, but then i do want to sacrifice too much gas either. 4.10s seems like a bad idea if i ever decide to drive long distances. But if i ever race some one on the street, i don't want to be peeling out instead of beating the guy either. I do have BF Drag radials on the rear. And lastly, based on what i wrote, what kind of setup for the rear would you guys suggest? I hear detroit locker, posi, spool. I am not sure what those even do.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/509389-trying-decide-rear.html
Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

9 inch...........end of story!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver02ws6
9 inch...........end of story!
these are the type of thorough answers you dont wanna listen to
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

gears are all about what size tires your running, your rev limit, how much power your making...ect. www.f-body.org/gears
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Short and blunt answers, but answers nonetheless. Any of you have any opinions on the Dana 60? I hear that its a little stronger than a 12 bolt and offers the ABS that a 9 in doesn't. Any truth to that?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the 9inch. Its proven to be the strongest rear out there. Its the same price you can still run traction control and abs, and its very easy to change out gear ratios. Do not go with the detroit locker you will hate it on the steet, go with a good posi unit and youll be happy. It looks to me like you building a very serious car why take any chances with your rear end? Talk to bob at exotic performance, i did not buy mine there but he helped me more than anyone. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

go with the 9 inch you will not be disapointed.... make sure you set up the gear ratio to what kind of mods and tire size you will be running and go with a posi for sure, goodluck bro... im sitll builing my TA and im going with a 9 in mine and it willl be the easiest to change out if it were to blow out. 12b 9in all about the same price give or take a few bucks
Old 06-13-2006, 05:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Go with the 9inch. Its proven to be the strongest rear out there. Its the same price you can still run traction control and abs, and its very easy to change out gear ratios. Do not go with the detroit locker you will hate it on the steet, go with a good posi unit and youll be happy. It looks to me like you building a very serious car why take any chances with your rear end? Talk to bob at exotic performance, i did not buy mine there but he helped me more than anyone. Good luck.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

The nine inch is a great way to go. I prefer the Moser 9 inch over the Moser 12 bolt, if for no other reason than the way it mounts the torque arm. The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to secure the torque arm, and these have a habit of working loose. The Moser 9 inch uses the GM oem style of using two long bolts, and they stay tight.
If you have ABS only, going the nine inch route means you have to disconnect the ABS. I personally don't like ABS myself, for me it wouldn't be a big deal. For those of you who are trained to stomp on the brakes in a panic stop and let the brakes do all the modulating, threshold braking would have to be learned. Bob
Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00firebird
these are the type of thorough answers you dont wanna listen to

Sorry for the short answer but IMO nothing else is really needed to be said on this subject. I did alot of research and found that for the money the 9 inch was the best solution for me. I bought it from scott at Driveline solutions and probably wouldnt go any where else except maybe EPP to buy a rear end. Other than that look through the threads or maybe even do a search for my post, ive spent alot of time in here on this particular topic.

Good luck with which ever rear end you decide to put in.

For reference i went with a moser housing, detroit tru trac and 31 spline axles. 2310 shipped.