Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Issues with 9 inch install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issues with 9 inch install(now with pics)

I'm installing a moser 9" under my '98 z28 right now and have a couple of problems. The biggest thing right now is that it seems to sit foward too far, maybe an inch or so....the driveshaft knuckle hits the ds loop and the t/a front mount is ahead of the crossmember mount...i have solid non adjustable lower control arms and lower control arm brackets, could this be an issue? did anyone else have to switch to adjustable lcas when going from a stock rear to a 9"?

thanks
josh

Last edited by jdustu; 05-07-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my 9in in and im having the same thing as you almost. my hinged body mount UMI torque arm is at near the end of its travel forward and the rear wheels are still pushed back further than before
Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't have my rear wheels on yet, but yeah it sounds like we have the same thing......i've got the body mounted spohn t/a and top poly bushing will bolt up but it sits well ahead of where it did before...... i was thinking maybe my lca brackets threw something off, but without those i think it would be even further ahead.....i didn't need adjustable lcas before, i wonder if i need them now...i'll be looking at it more this week, i'm gonna center and tighten everything up and see what happens.....my swaybar didn't want to go on either, and i've got the bmr brackets on the rear.... if anyone has any ideas let me know...

-josh
Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

I just put in a moser 9" in my car with stock LCA's; no issues at all
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

are the relo brackets designed for a moser 9", or are they the ones for the 10 bolt? Just thought I would ask. Im not sure if they are the same or not.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder if this has anything to do with your ride height? When I put my 9" in I had relo brkts welded on when I ordered it. I installed it with factory lca's and phb but have since put adjustable ones on. When I put the 9" in I did the heater hose mod and it caused the rear to be slightly crooked. Can you guys get one side lca to bolt up but not the other? Just thought I'd give ya another place to look.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdustu
I'm installing a moser 9" under my '98 z28 right now and have a couple of problems. The biggest thing right now is that it seems to sit foward too far, maybe an inch or so....the driveshaft knuckle hits the ds loop and the t/a front mount is ahead of the crossmember mount...i have solid non adjustable lower control arms and lower control arm brackets, could this be an issue? did anyone else have to switch to adjustable lcas when going from a stock rear to a 9"?

thanks
josh

I put a 9 inch on mine without needing adjustable LCAs--and I have the same Spohn TA with the DS loop.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A Moser 9 inch is designed to be able to reuse all stock items, so all aftermarket items should work as well. If you could take some pictures and post them on here, you should be able to get some help on figuring out what is going on. Bob
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just got home from work, i'm gonna go out and try to tighten everything up and put it all together and take some pics......after i eat some grilled pizza
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, i got some pics;

first off, the swaybar:

it hits the torque arm tube mount on the left, its even worse than it looks in this pic....i can't come close to tightening the bar up....

passenger side lca bracket:

driver side:

(it looks like the bracket is crooked, its an optical illusion...if you click on it and go to the pic you can supersize it and see what i mean)

i've centered the rear end, and the driveshaft is now rubbing on an exhaust mount that it easily cleared before, as well as the ds loop:

other random pics(click to make big):

a pic of the rear from the rear, i'm crooked, not the axle

i need some help before i shoot myself, thanks

-josh
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

that's weird i have the umi adjustable torque arm with the ds safety loop and lakewood lower control arms and no problems here.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

first thing Ive noticed is your missing the spacer in there for the rear swaybar.thats why you cant tighten those bolts and its hitting .next looks like the rear is not centered.thats why your hitting the loop.you need a adj.phr to adjust side to side.also get rid of that exhaust hanger with a hacksaw or something .
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 AM
12 Second Club

do what 35th SS said except dont cut the exhaust bracket yet. load the rear suspension and see if that aligns it up. noticed it's on stands and the yoke on the trans end is not all the way in. I would bolt everything up and lower it to see what alignment would look like, then go from there. check drive shaft to see if it is still hitting/rubbing exhaust bracket and d/s loop rubbing/hitting d/s. you might need to do this a few times to get alignment correct and this will tell you if you need adj. lca's and/or Phr. hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

I was under the impression that the bolt in relo bracket won't work with aftermarket rears.
Is this bad info?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by revtime
I was under the impression that the bolt in relo bracket won't work with aftermarket rears.
Is this bad info?
X2? Id like to know to.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

let's just say they can be made to work....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did center it(the pics are a little misleading) with an adj phb. the exhaust bracket will go, what bugs me is that it was fine before. the rear itself is centered, but the ds seems off to the right.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you talk about swaybar spacers, are you talking about an additional spacer underneath the bmr bracket on the tube, or just longer bolts and spacers on the endlinks, or both? if so, what are the sizes?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

on the first top picture showing the swaybar.thier suppose to be a steel spacer in between the poly red bushing and the mount.your bolt needs to be longer also.I believe those spacer came with the swaybar when I ordered mine.running a spohn t/a and a spohn swaybar .you have to specify that you will be using it on a 9in.rear.if I was you I would call steve spohn and explain your problem and the spacer to him even though your running a bmr swaybar.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info. about how thick are they? i made 4 spacers today out of 5/16 al, so i'll see if that or 5/8 will be close. i also got longer end bolts and made longer bolt spacers.