Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS inop light....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS inop light....

Got a ABS inop light after 9" install. I knew I get something since I had to disconnect the harness that goes to the rear for ABS info. Didnt know I'd get a light though. I didnt know since I have a three channel and didnt know if the harness was for ABS or TCS. Anyway, is this something I can have taken care of through a tune. The light is getting annoying. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have programs for it and I bet Bosch isn't going to release any.

I would get some excitor rings, sensors, a different ABS module, homebrew brake lines, and shoot for it. [insane option]
Do the backingplates for non 4 channels have a provision for the sensors???

Or just electrical tape. [the norm]

Wiring diagrams should be on the site under general...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

All you need is some needle nose pliers. Pull the cluster out just far enough to reach back there and crush the bulb. Make sure you pull the ABS fuse out under the hood though. You could lose your brakes if you don't. I almost killed myself when I did it because the abs was trying to work, but couldn't. Pull the fuse, smash the bulb, and be done with it.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
All you need is some needle nose pliers. Pull the cluster out just far enough to reach back there and crush the bulb. Make sure you pull the ABS fuse out under the hood though. You could lose your brakes if you don't. I almost killed myself when I did it because the abs was trying to work, but couldn't. Pull the fuse, smash the bulb, and be done with it.
He is completely right. You need to cut power from the ABS unit. Strange things can happen like one wheel locking up or no braking power under any conditions. It is very dangerous to have a malfunctioning ABS.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

so even if I dont take care of the bulb I should kill power now by pulling the fuse? I havent had any probs so far with the brakes doing any wired things but dont want any either. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
so even if I dont take care of the bulb I should kill power now by pulling the fuse? I havent had any probs so far with the brakes doing any wired things but dont want any either. Thanks for the info.
If the light is on on the dash, your ABS isn't working anyway. You have to pull the fuse. Your brakes could act up out of no where. They did on me about 2 days after I had the rear end put in, and they acted up in rush hour traffic on a major highway at 70 mph. The break pedal went to the floor at 70 mph and I had no brakes. I pulled the abs fuse, and it was fine. Please do yourself a favor and pull the fuse.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Just getting around to this, been out of town and car has been down. There are several ABS fuses on the passenger side fuse panel under the hood. Which one do I pull? Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I know the feeling.

Honestly, I just unplugged the whole 40 pin thing from the electronic braking and traction control module under the hood. It's easy that way and you are sure it won't mess anything up. Just leave it unplugged until you get around to fixing it.