Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns, but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns, but...

This is the cover story of the April issue of Motor Trend magazine.

Here is the link:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rns/index.html

And the story below.

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns
The Ultimate Camaro is Ready to Go. But There's One Small Problem...

By Mike Connor

These are strange times at post-bailout GM. Having taken taxpayer money, the company is no longer master of its own destiny. It was bad enough when, late last year, new-model programs were halted to conserve dwindling cash reserves. Now, though, there's another thread running through GM's product planning process: not, should we build this vehicle, but is this a vehicle we should be seen to be building?

The Camaro Z/28 is one of those vehicles.

Sources inside GM say the new Z/28 is basically done. The image you see on these pages is very close to the final signed-off design, based on photos of a scale clay model we've seen. Key details to note are the deeper front bumper fascia, with larger front aperture under the grille and the spotlights mounted in deep vents on either side. The Z/28 also gets a different grille mesh compared with the standard Camaro's.

At the rear is a taller lip spoiler that runs the full width of the car. A new rear-bumper fascia features a deeper section with integrated exhaust outlets. The wheels are 20-inchers with an aggressive "tuning-fork" five-spoke pattern.

A new hood features a large, forward-facing scoop. Underneath is the 6.2-liter supercharged LSA V-8 that also powers the Cadillac CTS-V. As we have already confirmed, this is quite a powerplant, delivering 556 horsepower at 6100 rpm and 551 pound-feet of torque at 3800 rpm. The Z/28 will also share the CTS-Vs six speed manual and automatic transmissions.

The near-4300-pound CTS-V thunders from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and nails the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds (automatic) or 12.4 seconds (manual). Top speed is limited to 175 mph in the auto (to preserve the tranny), but the manual will storm to an autobahn-melting 193 mph. As the Z/28 will weigh 200 to 300 pounds less than the CTS-V, it may nail 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and run the quarter in the very low 12s. This Z/28 could be the fastest Chevy ponycar since the legendary ZL-1-powered COPO 9560 Camaros built 40 years ago.

Only problem is the Z/28 is on hold. First, GM ran out of money to finish and launch the car. Now, some inside the company are wondering whether selling a super-fast, super-powerful two-door Chevy coupe that will likely get no better than 13-19 mpg is the right thing to do for a company that's had to beg for money from a bunch of politicians who seem to think it really ought to be building gas-sipping Prius clones.

"In the current environment, it would be very difficult to get any traction on a large rear-drive program," says one insider. But a hard core of performance enthusiasts inside GM are hopeful they can get the Z/28 back on track. "If we leave it too long, the car will become irrelevant," frets one source. One idea reportedly under study calls for a strictly limited production run, with each car individually numbered, to attract collectors and enthusiasts, and priced to ensure a solid profit margin.

According to sources, GM product chief Bob Lutz has said that, while he would love to do the car, "We need to make the world right first." However, that could take cash-crunched GM a long, long time.

The Australian-developed Zeta platform that underpins the Camaro was the linchpin of GM's global rear-drive strategy. Although developed as a much lower-cost architecture than the Detroit-developed Sigma platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS, it was being considered as the basis for an all-new rear-drive replacement for the STS/DTS sedans. That program, like every large rear-drive program at GM, is on hold.

It's not just the fact that GM is short of cash; the other issue is the tougher CAFE standards that will mandate the automaker meet 35 mpg across its fleets by 2020. While being grilled by Congress last year, all three Detroit automakers unequivocally agreed they would meet that target. Which means large, heavy rear-drive cars don't have much of a future beyond the end of the next decade.

The Zeta platform is good through 2016, say GM sources. Engineers will work on weight reduction and efficiency improvements, such as better aero and standard six-speed transmission, on all Zeta-based vehicles to keep the platform viable through then.

Zeta's future is critically important for GM in Australia, where it underpins the volume-selling Holden Commodore and variants. But there are signs GM is prepared for a post-Zeta world Down Under.

The company has already announced a version of the Chevy Cruze will be manufactured in Australia. And now it plans to build a car based off the next-generation Epsilon architecture there, too. The new Epsilon can be stretched large enough to give the interior package Aussies want; more important, it can package all-wheel drive and even a transverse-mounted V-8 under the hood.

If Zeta goes, where would that leave Camaro? One scenario is that by 2020 it will be a smaller, lighter ponycar built on the compact rear-drive Alpha architecture being developed for Cadillac.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Launching!

556 Horsepower....if it makes it to production.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, the King of Camaros are reborn. The Z28 is now top model once again.

They better make it.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2010-cama...28-rumors.html

GM can NOT afford to make this car, even if they could it in no way would help them at all make money....with the current condition of GM i HIGHLY doubt we will see a Z28 anytime soon......
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not holding my breath over it, id love to Sell somethings to get a new Z28
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't tell you how much I want a 2012 Anniversary edition Z28. Just wish it would actually happen. Sad, very sad to see GM beholden to a democrat controlled congress that would like to see nothing more than to see GM go away. If they really wanted to help, they'd create tax incentives/rebates for individuals that buy GM, Ford, and Chrysler products instead of just dolling out money to the automakers.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Dumb thing is they would sell more of them than the CTS-V I would bet....why not scrap that and make the Z?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Launching!

I really don't see why it would COST that much to put into production.
If the drivetrain development is done and in production now (a la ctsv), this is a way to spread those costs over more vehicles built.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

between obama and the epa the camaro is gonna be history once again.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id love to see it and hope to see it, but I can hear those yahoos on captial hill YELLING SEE...BUY HONDA !!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Since when has the Z28 been top model??

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want the name back, but I cannot remember a time in GM's history where the Z28 was top dog over an SS....and please feel free to correct me here.

I DO remember the cross-ram DZ302 motors in the 69 Z28s as being high horsepower, high revving small blocks....I also remember the SS cars as being the majority with Big Block displacement.

To me, if they bring the car back, it's under the wrong nameplate altogether. I would rather purchase a smaller displacement, high rpm Z28 than this car. If anything, the current SS model should be the Z and the Z28 concept/production should be an SS.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

I think GM could justify building the Z28 as a limited production vehicle. GM knows they aren't going to sell a ton of them, but if they put them in the showrooms people will come in to look at them and that give salespeople a chance to sell them another vehicle. Personally I would proabably buy one if they look good and are less than $50,000. I guess we have to wait to see what GM is going to do.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
I really don't see why it would COST that much to put into production.
If the drivetrain development is done and in production now (a la ctsv), this is a way to spread those costs over more vehicles built.
Exactly. I've been thinking the same thing
Old 03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I would do horrible horrible things for that car...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I am not that wild about it. Will probably weigh more than the SS.

W
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Plus, I like N/A.

W
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

If they can build this and keep pricing close to the GT500 we will be in luck.

I hope they build it so we can use the line ' it came from the factory with a S/C'er '
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
Plus, I like N/A.

W
you say that now... but being a pulley and tune away from a easy mid 11's car is making FI very appetizing
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Im considering the Camaro, Corvette and G8 for my first new car. If they built that car I would sell everything I have to get it.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
I can't tell you how much I want a 2012 Anniversary edition Z28. Just wish it would actually happen. Sad, very sad to see GM beholden to a democrat controlled congress that would like to see nothing more than to see GM go away. If they really wanted to help, they'd create tax incentives/rebates for individuals that buy GM, Ford, and Chrysler products instead of just dolling out money to the automakers.
Even if it made it to production, there would be very few people that would buy it. Have you already forgotten the mess that was the G8?

Quick Reply: The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns, but...