Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Z28 > SuperSport

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Z28 > SuperSport

Are you truly a CAMARO fan, or are you just a late model lover? All of the opinions about what the new camaro should be amuse me. People claim to be a die hard camaro fan, yet their opinions about what it should be to keep the camaro bloodline clean are misguided. A few things about the past that everyone should realize, put your 4th gen ideals aside:
-The order of operations. The RS is not a fancy looking V6. RS meant top of the line trim: hideaway headlight, nicer trim levels, nicer interior etc. It was an option on both the Z28 and the SS, and actually increased the value of the cars to which it was optioned. The Z28 was the SS's daddy. I know you SS owners don't want to hear that but that's how it was and how it would have to be if you want the heritage to be correct. You could get a V8 that wasn't a Z28 or an SS, just a base model V8 car.

-T tops are NOT part of the original heritage, nor is it a true part of the Camaro heritage at all. They were introduced on the Transam in 76, 10 years after the Camaro came out, and the camaro didn't get them until 78.

-Many here have said that it needs to be it's own "entity" separated from the camaro. That is not possible historically, the Firebird is simply another car built on the same platform as the camaro. Any "elitist" bird owner that thinks such simply does not know where the Firebird came from.

There is more, but this should be enough to start a pretty good flaming. So many 4th gen owners claim to love the f-body heritage but don't truly understand it and only have knowledge exclusive the the 4th gen. I just thought I'd give a little insight on why some notions of what would make the new 5th gen truly a 5th gen are based on nothing but 4th gen information. So, are you an f-body lover, or just a 4th gen elitist?

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All true. I have stated these points many times.

Also, the "SS hood" that everyone keeps talking about, with the scoop in the center towards the windshield? First appeared on a Second Gen Z28.

Great post.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Are you truly a CAMARO fan, or are you just a late model lover? All of the opinions about what the new camaro should be amuse me. People claim to be a die hard camaro fan, yet their opinions about what it should be to keep the camaro bloodline clean are misguided. A few things about the past that everyone should realize, put your 4th gen ideals aside:
-The order of operations. The RS is not a fancy looking V6. RS meant top of the line trim: hideaway headlight, nicer trim levels, nicer interior etc. It was an option on both the Z28 and the SS, and actually increased the value of the cars to which it was optioned. The Z28 was the SS's daddy. I know you SS owners don't want to hear that but that's how it was and how it would have to be if you want the heritage to be correct. You could get a V8 that wasn't a Z28 or an SS, just a base model V8 car.

-T tops are NOT part of the original heritage, nor is it a true part of the Camaro heritage at all. They were introduced on the Transam in 76, 10 years after the Camaro came out, and the camaro didn't get them until 78.

-Many here have said that it needs to be it's own "entity" separated from the camaro. That is not possible historically, the Firebird is simply another car built on the same platform as the camaro. Any "elitist" bird owner that thinks such simply does not know where the Firebird came from.

There is more, but this should be enough to start a pretty good flaming. So many 4th gen owners claim to love the f-body heritage but don't truly understand it and only have knowledge exclusive the the 4th gen. I just thought I'd give a little insight on why some notions of what would make the new 5th gen truly a 5th gen are based on nothing but 4th gen information. So, are you an f-body lover, or just a 4th gen elitist?
I've had both an SS and a Z28. But you are incorrect. The SS was ABOVE the Z28 on the model tier as long as you got the big block. The SS with the 375 396 was the top dog excluding any COPO cars. Not the Z28. This has been stated before and is in a few books I have as well....

I don't care what car is better, as long as the 5th gen has some *****!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And the funny thing is, If i took off all the SS options and put on stock z28 **** what would I have? A Z28. My car is a Z28 with SS options. Would I ever make it a Z28 again? No, To bland. The spoiler and hood scoop break it up just enough. Who care s what the top model will be. Just give me a V8 with ***** the size of two moons and I will be happy.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank GM for the confusion about camaro heritage, and for not staying true to it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I've had both an SS and a Z28. But you are incorrect. The SS was ABOVE the Z28 on the model tier as long as you got the big block. The SS with the 375 396 was the top dog excluding any COPO cars. Not the Z28. This has been stated before and is in a few books I have as well....

The 1st gen Z28 only came with a 302, where as a SS could be had with a big block!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
The 1st gen Z28 only came with a 302, where as a SS could be had with a big block!!
i thought they had 327's for some reason.

Personally i think they should just continue on the same rout as the 4th gen with the 5th gen. Base v6, rs (v6), z28, then SS at the top. It makes pretty good sense to me and it would keep things simple for most camaro buyers (most of whom dont know/care about the history and heritage).

One thing i think they should change from 4th to 5th gen is i think they need to make the z28 stand out a little more from the v6 cars. To the casual eye the only difference externally between the z28 and the v6 was the badge. nobody should have to ask, "is it a z28?". I hope on the new one they make the z28 tastefully more noticeable than the v6 just like they made the old ss tastefully more noticeable than the old z28.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by huskerZ28
One thing i think they should change from 4th to 5th gen is i think they need to make the z28 stand out a little more from the v6 cars. To the casual eye the only difference externally between the z28 and the v6 was the badge. nobody should have to ask, "is it a z28?". I hope on the new one they make the z28 tastefully more noticeable than the v6 just like they made the old ss tastefully more noticeable than the old z28.
V6 only color option should be hot pink... JK but hey that would let you know whats what
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The order of operations. The RS is not a fancy looking V6. RS meant top of the line trim: hideaway headlight, nicer trim levels, nicer interior etc. It was an option on both the Z28 and the SS, and actually increased the value of the cars to which it was optioned. The Z28 was the SS's daddy. I know you SS owners don't want to hear that but that's how it was and how it would have to be if you want the heritage to be correct. You could get a V8 that wasn't a Z28 or an SS, just a base model V8 car.
How do you get this? How was the SS not on top? First gen camaros had it right when they put an SS badge on the car it had meaning behind it. DON'T F WITH ME! thats what it meant haha. SS= bigger motor. I was thinking 327 also non the less it wasn't just a cowl hood (only came on the 69) and some cool SS badges. That is one thing I don't like about my 4th gen SS all I got was a damn hood and spoiler and everyone thinks it's so much faster than a Z28 because of it.

All in all I really think that the 5th gen should require an engine upgrade if it's going to have the SS name.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Z28 just sounds better, I mean lets think of all the cars Chevy has made thaqt are "SS's"....a cobalt SS lol!!! There is only 1 Z28

but yeah, an engine with power and ***** is fine for me
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Z28 just sounds better, I mean lets think of all the cars Chevy has made thaqt are "SS's"....a cobalt SS lol!!! There is only 1 Z28

but yeah, an engine with power and ***** is fine for me
yeah and thats another thing that pisses me off about gm. EVERYTHING IS AN SS NOW! but to make me even more pissed they give those cars motor upgrades with the SS name!! whats the world coming to??
Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah I know IMO they are destroying the "SS" name completely...

ehh IDK I guess we will see what happens, but I am predicting that they WILL call the top end Camaro a "SS" or maybe it will be the "Z28 with the SS package" like our 4th gens....
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
yeah I know IMO they are destroying the "SS" name completely...

ehh IDK I guess we will see what happens, but I am predicting that they WILL call the top end Camaro a "SS" or maybe it will be the "Z28 with the SS package" like our 4th gens....
I thought all SS's started as Z/28's like the 4th gens. am I wrong here?

I think the SS should have a supercharger lol some of the other cars that have the SS name got one so why cant the Camaro??
Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

The original Z/28 option was specifically designed to run in the Trans Am races and was restricted to a 302 engine by the race. It was built for racing and could make almost 400 hp stock (GM listed it at 290 to keep insurance cheap). It was second to no SS, even the 396. You gotta remember, back then you ordered a Camaro, then you picked your option (be it a V8, the SS package, or the Z/28 package, and you could even add the RS package to any of those).
Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iron Head
And the funny thing is, If i took off all the SS options and put on stock z28 **** what would I have? A Z28. My car is a Z28 with SS options. Would I ever make it a Z28 again? No, To bland. The spoiler and hood scoop break it up just enough. Who care s what the top model will be. Just give me a V8 with ***** the size of two moons and I will be happy.
Not in the past, that's the point.

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSNISTR

It may have been above it on the power tier, but not on the model tier. That's why you had to specify as long as you got the BB.

There is not a more legendary production engine from the 1st gen than the Z28s 302.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it should go back to the way it was. (not that I know, but I listen to my old man every chance I get) There was no tier system. The packages were built for completely different reasons. Like stated above, the Z28 was a special package, and not the base model V8 like it turned into. I wish they would de-stroke, and put a small cubed screamer in the new Z28, but it will never happen
Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Z/28 should be top dog. My dad and his buddies got a laugh out of the 1st gen SS faster than Z/28 conversation.

Originally Posted by Sharpe
All true. I have stated these points many times.

Also, the "SS hood" that everyone keeps talking about, with the scoop in the center towards the windshield? First appeared on a Second Gen Z28.

Great post.
Thats funny, my dad owned a 76 half Z28 and asked why mine didn't come with it and the SS did.

What ever they do it won't be the end of the world, if I get a new one it will be a Z/28.

Last edited by white man; 04-30-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

so 2nd 3rd and 4th gens arent part of the Camaros heritage? THAT is elitist
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey, I have an idea, lets all go back to carburated small blocks too, since those junk gen3s arent part of the camaros heritage!

Quick Reply: Z28 > SuperSport